RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

DRL won't turn on after starting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 02:27 PM
skj69nyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DRL won't turn on after starting up

Hi, I need help the dealer is telling there is nothing wrong. The problem is my 2017 RX350 DRL stopped turning on once the car is started. They will only turn on and stay on if you put the car in drive or reverse. The DRL is normally on once you start the car. I cannot find it in the owners manual and the dealer is telling there in nothing wrong. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 04-10-21, 07:10 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by skj69nyc
Hi, I need help the dealer is telling there is nothing wrong. The problem is my 2017 RX350 DRL stopped turning on once the car is started. They will only turn on and stay on if you put the car in drive or reverse. The DRL is normally on once you start the car. I cannot find it in the owners manual and the dealer is telling there in nothing wrong. Has anyone had this problem?
The DRL only turn on after you put the car in gear. There is nothing wrong!!!!!
Old 04-10-21, 07:16 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Maybe 2017 is different than 2018. My DRLs come on when I start the car, and they're on when it is in P.
The following users liked this post:
skj69nyc (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 08:24 AM
AZChief
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my 2017, DRL on, vehicle in Park. Check your vehicle customization settings in your menu. Under "Lights" there's an option for DRL on/off. Perhaps yours got turned off in the software.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 10:57 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Check your headlight setting on the stalk. If it's set to 'Auto', then the DRL should come on automatically when you unlock the car (and of course be already on when you start the engine).

If you have turned the headlight to 'Off', then the DRL will only come on after you shift out of Park (and stay on until you shut the engine off).
The following 2 users liked this post by kolokmee:
hfahmy (04-10-21), skj69nyc (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 03:31 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 890 Likes on 670 Posts

The DRL's do not come on when the Parking Brake is set.
The RX's have an Automatic PB setting which is useful for most situations.
When you start it with the PB engaged the DRL's will be off,
when you pull it out of Park the PB disengages and the DRL's will illuminate.

Test this by checking for the DRL's when you stop and put it in Park with the engine running.
The DRL's should remain on.
Old 04-10-21, 09:16 PM
skj69nyc
Driver School Candidate

I own the car since NEW !!! I know there is something WRONG!!! I saw them lite and while cleaning snow off the car they went off. If you start the car in the daytime outside with the DRL switch in ON /Auto position, the DRL should be ON!!! If your DRL are not ON with switch in AUTO when you start the car and the DRL are off you have the same problem as me.
Old 04-10-21, 09:23 PM
skj69nyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZChief
Here's my 2017, DRL on, vehicle in Park. Check your vehicle customization settings in your menu. Under "Lights" there's an option for DRL on/off. Perhaps yours got turned off in the software.

My DRL will remain ON if you put the car in gear and back to park. My problem is once you start the car and in Park during the daytime the DRL would be ON, without moving into gear.
Old 04-10-21, 09:27 PM
skj69nyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kolokmee
Check your headlight setting on the stalk. If it's set to 'Auto', then the DRL should come on automatically when you unlock the car (and of course be already on when you start the engine).

If you have turned the headlight to 'Off', then the DRL will only come on after you shift out of Park (and stay on until you shut the engine off).

That is my problem, stalk is set on Auto and I start the car and my DRL let not come on until I move the shifter. Dealer is telling me that is normal for DRL light to be off once you start the car. And they just said its normal and brushed me off.
Old 04-11-21, 06:59 AM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And you’ve checked Setting #15 is on as seen from this link, right?

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...play-Audio.pdf
Old 04-11-21, 08:17 AM
skj69nyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mikes94GS3
And you’ve checked Setting #15 is on as seen from this link, right?

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...play-Audio.pdf
Yes, that has always been set to ON.
Thanks
Old 04-11-21, 08:20 AM
fireball63
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine doesn't come on until I shift from park. I see no problem as they are called Day Time Running Lights. Not daytime parking lights.
Old 04-11-21, 08:46 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes, that has always been set to ON.
Thanks
You have no problem!
Old 04-11-21, 09:02 AM
RCFRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own the car since NEW !!! I know there is something WRONG!!! I saw them lite and while cleaning snow off the car they went off. If you start the car in the daytime outside with the DRL switch in ON /Auto position, the DRL should be ON!!! If your DRL are not ON with switch in AUTO when you start the car and the DRL are off you have the same problem as me.
There is nothing wrong with your vehicle. The DRL only comes and stays on when the vehicle is out of park. This is normal and happens on all of my Toyota and Lexus vehicles I have owned with LED daytime running lights.
Old 04-11-21, 10:37 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I think mcomer is right. @skj69nyc , you may have had the Parking Brake set to Off during the times when the you saw the DRL come on as soon as you start the car. Along the way, it may have been set back to Auto when you noticed the DRL did not come on until shifting out of P.

Quick Reply: DRL won't turn on after starting up