RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Loose passenger side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21 | 09:48 AM
buckskin
6th Gear

Default Loose passenger side mirror

I just bought a 2018 RX 350 base and noticed that the passenger side mirror shakes and vibrates. It appears to be the actual mirror inside the housing that is loose. I've tried to find videos on how to tighten it on YouTube and was unsuccessful. I also couldn't find anything on this forum specific to my vehicle. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-21 | 11:19 AM
dibl
Instructor

I'm sure these are not exactly the same as our 2018 RXs, but it may help a bit. From painful experience, I can tell you that you will find it difficult to believe how complex your mirror assembly actuallly is.

Last edited by dibl; 04-29-21 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-29-21 | 12:55 PM
buckskin
6th Gear

Thanks for the link!
Old 05-06-21 | 10:55 AM
YVRRX350
10th Gear

Is it just me or does this video make you cringe when he's dropping his mirror cover on the ground and then swinging his pipe wrench around....

@buckskin have you tried to see if this fixes your mirror vibration?

Can anyone else confirm that this is the correct way to take the mirror off the housing? (tilt up, pull from bottom, and unclip ?)
My driver's side mirror vibrates and is driving me nuts. I've taken off the inside door panel, checked and tightened the three screws holding the mirror housing to door.
I was going to try to model and 3d print a reinforcement bracket (like the TSB for the Rav4's mirror vibration), but it's just way tight in there.
My next thought is to pull the mirror off and see if maybe putting some Dynamat (or similiar product) on the back of the mirror may help to dampen the vibration...
Old 05-06-21 | 11:38 AM
buckskin
6th Gear

Originally Posted by YVRRX350
Is it just me or does this video make you cringe when he's dropping his mirror cover on the ground and then swinging his pipe wrench around....

@buckskin have you tried to see if this fixes your mirror vibration?

Can anyone else confirm that this is the correct way to take the mirror off the housing? (tilt up, pull from bottom, and unclip ?)
My driver's side mirror vibrates and is driving me nuts. I've taken off the inside door panel, checked and tightened the three screws holding the mirror housing to door.
I was going to try to model and 3d print a reinforcement bracket (like the TSB for the Rav4's mirror vibration), but it's just way tight in there.
My next thought is to pull the mirror off and see if maybe putting some Dynamat (or similiar product) on the back of the mirror may help to dampen the vibration...
Yes, very cringe worthy video! I have yet to find a video on my exact year and model as far as taking apart or removing the mirror. Like I said, I'm sure it is the mirror itself and not the housing. I have a neighbor who is a mechanic and I will run it by him to see if this is the way to remove the mirror from the housing. I'm very hesitant to try and pry out the glass mirror myself. When I find out more I will come back and post my results.
Old 05-06-21 | 03:13 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Originally Posted by buckskin
Yes, very cringe worthy video! I have yet to find a video on my exact year and model as far as taking apart or removing the mirror. Like I said, I'm sure it is the mirror itself and not the housing. I have a neighbor who is a mechanic and I will run it by him to see if this is the way to remove the mirror from the housing. I'm very hesitant to try and pry out the glass mirror myself. When I find out more I will come back and post my results.
That would be great. I'm looking forward to your findings, my mirror vibrates too, the dealer said it's normal. Yea right!
Old 05-07-21 | 01:51 PM
buckskin
6th Gear

Since I was convinced that it was the mirror itself and not the housing I decided to try and pry the mirror out (gently and by hand.) I was able to get it off using steady and even pressure. Once off, I inspected it for any broken tabs. They all looked fine. There are 4 plastic tabs on the 4 corners and one long metal tab on the upper right side. Hopefully the photos show the 4 black tabs on the mirror and the corresponding white tabs on the housing. I then pressed the mirror back in place, again using even pressure on the mirror. It took quite a bit of force to get the mirror back into the tabs. You can hear when the tabs snap back into place.

Next I enlisted a neighbor (an engineer by trade) and took a test drive. He rolled down the passenger window and and grabbed first the mirror itself and then the entire housing. It was his opinion that the housing itself was loose and not the actual mirror.

Next step is to see if I can tighten the 3 nuts which hold the passenger side mirror to the door. This involves removing the door panel. There are 4 screws which hold on the door panel in addition to numerous clips. 3 of the screws are hidden. One behind a plate in the door handle area, one under the removable carpet in the top center of the arm rest, and one under the control box for the electric window. There is a YouTube video on this but I had trouble downloading it to this thread.

Old 05-07-21 | 04:40 PM
danais7
Rookie

Buckskin....found this video
that may be of help to you. Video posted by Lexus tech person.
Old 05-08-21 | 09:26 AM
buckskin
6th Gear

Originally Posted by danais7
Buckskin....found this video 2016-2021 RX 350 RX 450h Door Mirror Glass Replacement Instructions that may be of help to you. Video posted by Lexus tech person.
Thank you for the link!
Old 05-08-21 | 11:46 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by buckskin
Thank you for the link!
FYI, there is also a "Like" button. Let us know how it goes!

Old 06-30-21 | 12:36 PM
buckskin
6th Gear

Finally found out the problem. It is a cross threaded nut on the forward of the 3 bolts holding the mirror to the door. It looks like it was done at the factory. This was preventing the mirror from being tightened down all the way. Since this is a Lexus Certified used car hopefully the dealer will take care of it.
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (07-01-21)
Old 06-30-21 | 04:40 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

I just bought mine yesterday and during the test drive my drivers side mirror was vibrating. Service was closed, will take it in next week.