RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Door Lock Actuator on 2016 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21 | 12:08 PM
DJU
Driver School Candidate

Question Door Lock Actuator on 2016 RX 350

My 2016 RX 350 door locks sometimes are a little lazy and one won't pop up with the others when I use my key fob. At first I thought it was an actuator, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it happens and it varies amongst all four doors. Since just replacing one front and one rear Actuator got me bids ranging from $850 - $1400, I'm hesitant to spend money needlessly, especially when this is very intermittent. Is it possible there is a loose wire? Any other suggestions I could try short of replacing all 4 actuators? Wouldn't be unusual for all to go out at once?
When it DOES happen, using the unlock button on the front doors doesn't work, either...I have to climb in from another door and pull the handle from the inside to open it. Then, it's fine again for days...

Any thoughts (in layman's terms, please)? Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
madh (11-27-21)
Old 05-19-21 | 02:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Bendy part of the wires in the loom starting to break? Or the master switch could be going bad.
DJU (05-20-21)
Old 05-20-21 | 04:52 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Mine did it also. I was told to change out the battery on my fob key when i check my fob key battery it was at 3V I think brand new batterys are like way above 3 volts.

anyway once i changed it i havent had the problem since.

Mine would open all the doors but the driver side door unless i used the fob key to open it as the battery got weaker my fob nor the door handle would open my driver side door anymore but will still open the other doors

hope that helps...
Old 06-07-21 | 10:17 AM
DJU
Driver School Candidate

Default Key Fob Battery?

Hmmm... All the batteries I see for that Key Fob are CR2032, and they all run 3 Volts. Can you please advise what batteries you used to rectify the issue with some locks randomly not popping up?
Old 06-07-21 | 01:41 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Originally Posted by DJU
Hmmm... All the batteries I see for that Key Fob are CR2032, and they all run 3 Volts. Can you please advise what batteries you used to rectify the issue with some locks randomly not popping up?
just a normal name brand
Duracell

If you have a volt meter test your battery volts. Mine had the door lock issue when the battery was at 3v. Brand new ones are at 3.5 v. I believe. Dont qoute me. But if its at 3v time to change battery on the fob. That fixed my issue.
Old 06-08-21 | 08:22 AM
DJU
Driver School Candidate

Thanks--changed battery today. In any case, I am glad I did not pay $1200, as the issue is not getting any worse--very intermittent--and continues to vary from door to door. I continue to think it quite unlikely that multiple ones would "wear out" at the same time but we'll see. Thanks, all!
Old 06-10-21 | 08:36 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Did you see improvement with the battery change?
Old 06-30-21 | 09:25 AM
DJU
Driver School Candidate

Sadly, I did not. But the problem continues to be intermittent...and usually, but not always, is the back passenger door so I am living with it. Again, I'd be happy to pay for one actuator, but the fact that it is also sometimes the driver or even the front passenger makes me skeptical, even though my dealer said "it's unusual but possible that more than one of yours wore out simultaneously."

Incidentally, I had an accident where the open hatch hit my garage door a year ago, and after some time, I had to replace much of the hatch panel and fix the button on the hatch that alllows you to manually push the button to close the open hatch because water got into the cracked door trim and shorted out the button. Over $2K insurance claim all told..
Could this be related in that perhaps whatever was fixed on the hatch button was not fixed as it relates to the keyfob or inside door lock?
Old 06-30-21 | 02:25 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by DJU
Sadly, I did not. But the problem continues to be intermittent...and usually, but not always, is the back passenger door so I am living with it. Again, I'd be happy to pay for one actuator, but the fact that it is also sometimes the driver or even the front passenger makes me skeptical, even though my dealer said "it's unusual but possible that more than one of yours wore out simultaneously."

Incidentally, I had an accident where the open hatch hit my garage door a year ago, and after some time, I had to replace much of the hatch panel and fix the button on the hatch that alllows you to manually push the button to close the open hatch because water got into the cracked door trim and shorted out the button. Over $2K insurance claim all told..
Could this be related in that perhaps whatever was fixed on the hatch button was not fixed as it relates to the keyfob or inside door lock?
I had a hiunday where al lthe actuators went at once.
Old 06-30-21 | 03:38 PM
raylor4
Instructor

I'm unsure if this will help, but the passenger door actuator lock went kaput on my 2011 RX350, when it was about six years old. The dealer charged me $450 to install a new one. After that, the driver's door lock went kaput, so I looked on YouTube for a video that shows how to change the actuator. It's a big job, but I bought a new actuator from Amazon for about $40 and installed the new one myself. It was not a job for the inexperienced. I had many moments where I cursed under my breath. Everything worked fine after the repair. Sold it in 2020. Here is one of the YouTube links. This guy Is a very good mechanic.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 06-30-21 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-03-22 | 01:37 PM
Tallg
1st Gear

Default Did you ever find a fix?

Originally Posted by DJU
My 2016 RX 350 door locks sometimes are a little lazy and one won't pop up with the others when I use my key fob. At first I thought it was an actuator, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it happens and it varies amongst all four doors. Since just replacing one front and one rear Actuator got me bids ranging from $850 - $1400, I'm hesitant to spend money needlessly, especially when this is very intermittent. Is it possible there is a loose wire? Any other suggestions I could try short of replacing all 4 actuators? Wouldn't be unusual for all to go out at once?
When it DOES happen, using the unlock button on the front doors doesn't work, either...I have to climb in from another door and pull the handle from the inside to open it. Then, it's fine again for days...

i have a similar issue with a 2016 Lexus RX350 FSport. The driver door will not open when I pull the handle with the keyfob in my pocket. All the other doors will open. Also, the driver door will not even open by pressing unlock on the keyfob. Soc I have fo climb in from the passenger side. This only happens like once a week. It seems like it started to happen right after I went to the dealer to get a recall fix done on the driver door handle. They replaced the door handle. Also, this issue seems to occur right after I just got down closing the hatch with the button on the hatch. Than I go to the driver door and I am locked out. I went to the Lexus dealer and told them that this is happening right after they did the recall on the driver door handles. They said they thought it was the aculater and wanted over $700 to fix it. I declined and finally bought a new oem acculater on ebay. I spent two days installing it. Now I still have the same issue. And I have another issue where the driver door only will not unlock by sensor when I pull the handle. I have the use the unlock on the key fob everytime. Or, if I touch the rear driver door than my driver door will unlock. But I thing the original issue has something to do with pressing the button on the rear hatch to close the rear hatch. This makes me want to trade it in already. I hate having to go in from the passenger side to unlock the driver door.
Old 05-23-23 | 06:17 PM
MoniqueLevy
1st Gear

Default Door lock lazy intermittent and alarm noise intermittent too. Help us lz

Originally Posted by DJU

I am having the same trouble with my 2016 350 RX. But I also had gone out at 4:15am in the morning and the yellow running lights are blinking and beeping randomly Help what should I do?
Old 05-24-23 | 11:02 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

This is a very common problem the door lock actuator is soon to fail. Especially on the Lexus.
Old 07-10-24 | 07:51 PM
5stringbass
1st Gear

Default Driver Actuator

I just replaced my driver door actuator (took me as a rookie about 1 hour) since the lock was not coming up when the car sat in hot sun. It was relatively easy. Take the door panel off. I found several helpful youtube clips on removal of panel:

Tools: Plastic pry tools
Phillips screw driver
T30 Torx

Once the door panel was off, I removed the 3 screws from back face of door and had to wiggle the actuator out. This is tricky but it will come out. There is a metal rod that runs vertical attaches in two places. When pulling the actuator, just detach the bottom part of metal rod. The 2016 RX350 has a plastic shield that covers the inside of door cavity. Previous models had a plastic clear screen.

Email me if you have questions. Another video that I found helpful, even though it was older RX, it is very similary:

jollick (07-11-24)