RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Help buyers remorse

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21 | 11:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
I agree no one wants or expects a sports car posing as an suv. As I mentioned my expectations were not high coming from a second gen rx which a good handling vehicle, it is not. I find though that driving it is utterly boring. The steering is so numb it’s lifeless and there is no road feel - what so ever. No question the ride is ok but not as good as one would expect from the extremely isolated handling. If there is any fun in driving left, this car manages to remove it.

Just also cannot help but commenting on what one expects in a luxury SUV. Perhaps the handling side of things is not important but you’d think some utility would be, which means being able to fit some stuff in the trunk without pulling down the seats but every time I try to fit something in the tapered roof in the rear and angled tailgate thwart me.
The RX is known to NOT have great cargo space. Shop for a Tahoe or Suburban if that's what you need.
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21 | 12:22 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

I have found that the only way to avoid buyer's remorse is to know what you are buying.

I researched the crap out of the RX before I bought it. I also took it for several test drives, including as someone had previously stated, an all day full commute to and from work (100 miles) as well as all over the routes that I regularly drive. I checked out every accessory and function that mattered to me to be sure my $50k purchase would not bite me in the ***. I tend to keep my vehicles forever so research is very important to me. I actually wanted a smaller size vehicle with less storage since that fits my needs.

There is no perfect car (at least at my price point) but for me the RX is pretty damn close, and the best combination for my needs. I love my RX. Hope that you can find a suitable replacement.
The following 7 users liked this post by Quantum501:
coolbrazz (05-26-21), DocRock (05-26-21), Freds430 (05-26-21), JeffKeryk (05-26-21), jollick (05-26-21), ravenuer (05-26-21), websurfer (05-26-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-26-21 | 12:42 PM
rclfast
Driver School Candidate

Default Buyer's remorse?

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
Hey all. I realize I’m not going to get much sympathy here but just wondering if anyone else feels the same way way. I’ve been into cars my whole life and even work on the periphery of the field currently. I’ve owned many brands over the years but always like Toyota and Lexus which is why I’ve owned three of them in the last 10 years. My previous Lexus was a 2nd gen rx350 that I loved even though I had to do a number of repairs in the last few years. Anyway this winter I took the plunge and bought a very lightly used 2017 rx350 with only 30k miles from the dealer and I have a terrible case of buyers remorse that is shown if no sign of going away 3 months after the purchase. I am not elderly - in fact I only turned 40 but I find the electronics and technology in this vehicle a constant source of annoyance and frustration. I bought the stand model hoping to avoid as much as possible but it’s still full of gadgets I neither want or need. My second major criticism is about how this car drives. I know it’s no Mazda miata but this is the most uninspiring drive I’ve ever had. My 2nd gen Rx was not a great handling unit by any stretch of the imagination but I felt like I still had some semblance of road feel. This thing is just numb and feels like a big cumbersome barge. The 8 speed transmission also doesn’t help with the experience either but hoping they can install some new software at least for that when it goes in for the fuel pump recall.

I am a bit stuck as I don’t feel like taking a massive bath by trading it in but having a car I like is important to me.

I’m not trying to trash the car but only offer my honest experience. Has anyone else felt similarly?
When I saw "buyer's remorse" I was expecting to see an NX purchase with the only engine being too small. Seriously, Toyota Lexus make the incredible V6 engine. THAT should have gone in the F Sports.
Old 05-26-21 | 01:18 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quantum501
There is no perfect car (at least at my price point) but for me the RX is pretty damn close, and the best combination for my needs. I love my RX. Hope that you can find a suitable replacement.
Could not agree more. Could get any vehicle I want and very satisfied with my RX. I am waiting until next fall to see the new fifth generation. By bet will be even better and my next purchase. Please Lexus do not discontinue the atomic silver! They are discontinuing on the newly designed 2022 NX.
Old 05-26-21 | 01:39 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Freds430
Could not agree more. Could get any vehicle I want and very satisfied with my RX. I am waiting until next fall to see the new fifth generation. By bet will be even better and my next purchase. Please Lexus do not discontinue the atomic silver! They are discontinuing on the newly designed 2022 NX.
Yeap, have to really spend time researching the vehicle in person and online. That's why I'm lurking in the RX forums also.
Atomic Silver is disappearing on the 2022 Lexus ES as well.
Old 05-26-21 | 02:00 PM
dibl
Instructor

There is no perfect car ...
That right there is the bottom line. Every car, pickup truck, and SUV has its idiosyncracies. If you adapt yourself to the vehicle you have, you can get what you need out of it. There's no reason to spend months or years of your life hating your car.
Old 05-26-21 | 03:32 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

I have found that the only way to avoid buyer's remorse is to know what you are buying.

I researched the crap out of the RX before I bought it. I also took it for several test drives, including as someone had previously stated, an all day full commute to and from work (100 miles) as well as all over the routes that I regularly drive. I checked out every accessory and function that mattered to me to be sure my $50k purchase would not bite me in the ***. I tend to keep my vehicles forever so research is very important to me. I actually wanted a smaller size vehicle with less storage since that fits my needs.

I told my wife that I'm not the only person researches vehicles in detail before purchase. She keeps telling me I'm OCD. Well, I did do a detailed spreadsheet comparing specs on (8) different SUV's before making the first RX purchase. Maybe there's some truth to her diagnoses. As for sporty, exciting, and fun to drive I have a Chevy SS Sedan which has an V8 LS3 in it. Wakes me up every time getting off the on-ramp to the hwy. Good to have options.....
Quantum501 (05-28-21)
Old 05-26-21 | 04:24 PM
bobgailw
Driver School Candidate

see if you can find a 1956 VW Beetle..It will make you very happy.

Bob W
Old 05-26-21 | 06:33 PM
DSRTWGN
Driver School Candidate

to the original poster: life is too short to drive a boring car

if you really wanted a luxury SUV, you would have bought a GX - seriously, the V8 is smooth, and you can overland it or take it out into the dirt in low range as well - WIN-WIN-WIN

we also have an RX, and it sure is our boringest vehicle - we just can't bring ourselves to sell it because it's so reliable

I cannot comment on the newer electronics in vehicles, our youngest vehicles are 17 years old , and one of those GXs sure has had more electrical problems than my 49-year old Toyota LandCruiser

Last edited by DSRTWGN; 05-26-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-26-21 | 09:10 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Well, you can sell it if you are not satisfied. As others have posted, used car values are crazy high right now. And RXs are always in demand.
Your call. Of course, if you have to buy something esle, you will probably have to pay top dollar.

We leased an '18 RX450h; I was never thrilled with the squishy ride. We turned it in and bought a '21 RX450h F Sport Handling.
This one is a keeper.

Good luck. We all buy the wrong one one time or another.
Uzcanadian (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21 | 09:51 PM
websurfer
Racer

From reading the replies, it seems the best RX to get is the RX450h F Sport if you want better acceleration and a more sporty ride. Personally, I think the RX F Sport model is the better one to get for a firmer ride.
Oh yeah, it's will require more $$$$ to make that happen. Of course
Old 05-26-21 | 10:31 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The RX is known to NOT have great cargo space. Shop for a Tahoe or Suburban if that's what you need.
I am not looking for massive storage, however the rx is not a small vehicle - larger in fact than the previous gens - yet somehow seems to have less storage room. It seems like practicality was sacrificed for the appearance (raked roof and canted tailgate). If I’m going to drive a 4400lbs vehicle you’d think I could fit my Costco purchases in the back without taking down the rear seats.
Old 05-26-21 | 10:34 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. After thinking long and hard I just don’t think any forth gen will make me happy. It’ll have to be a completely different model or older gen rx.
Old 05-26-21 | 10:39 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DSRTWGN
to the original poster: life is too short to drive a boring car

if you really wanted a luxury SUV, you would have bought a GX - seriously, the V8 is smooth, and you can overland it or take it out into the dirt in low range as well - WIN-WIN-WIN

we also have an RX, and it sure is our boringest vehicle - we just can't bring ourselves to sell it because it's so reliable

I cannot comment on the newer electronics in vehicles, our youngest vehicles are 17 years old , and one of those GXs sure has had more electrical problems than my 49-year old Toyota LandCruiser
I have always liked the gx470, the Uz engine is amazing as is the rest of the vehicle. If I found a clean one I’d be tempted but the wife might not agree.
Old 05-26-21 | 10:45 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobgailw
see if you can find a 1956 VW Beetle..It will make you very happy.

Bob W
Well I’d certainly have no frustrations with electronics.

Quick Reply: Help buyers remorse