RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Help buyers remorse

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 11:11 PM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Here's the question: "Compared to what other 2017 offering?"

I think you're comparing your 2017 to some historical model that you previously owned. That's not a valid comparison. I had a new 1975 Dodge D100 pickup truck with slant 6 engine, 3 on the tree, and a heater. Nothing else. A marvel of simplicity and reliability. Was it better than my RX?

No A/C.
No nav with a map.
No radio or media player.
No cruise control.
No power anything.
No seat adjustment except forward-backward.
No indication of loss of tire pressure.
etc., etc., etc.

All the new car models come in "packages" -- there is no "chinese menu" where you can pick only the features you want and skip the others. You pick from package A, B, C, or D and you get all the stuff they put on the package you picked. Including the stuff you don't want or need. That's how they minimize the manufacturing cost, and offer the lowest price possible for each package. So I don't know what your superior choice was, in terms of 2017 models. Do you?
Well there may be some truth in what you say. I am comparing it against other vehicles I have owned and more specifically previous rx350s. I naturally expected it to be much improved and it definitely is in some ways just not in the ways I value I guess. Personally I’d delete most of the gadgets on this car ( starting with the iPad sticking out of the dash) which seems to be where Lexus’s engineer’s energy was dedicated but I realize that luxury cars are defined by gadgets these days more than other refinements that used to be most important. Not sure if luxury buyers really want these things or if the industry tells them they do but that’s a whole other discussion.

I don’t deny that some of my complaints can just as easily be levelled at other makers as well and it may just be a product of where the entire industry as a whole is headed. As I think I mentioned previously I bought the rx because it did seem to tick the boxes better than everything else at the time. Unfortunately that logic doesn’t help eliminate the contempt I feel for the vehicle each time I have to drive it or the resulting bad mood it puts me in. As you asked though, I am going to start exploring options - nx300h, highlander hybrid , rdx, mdx ect. The hardest part is getting the wife onside as our tastes do differ.

Last edited by Uzcanadian; 05-26-21 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 05:51 AM
coachguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
Hey all. I realize I’m not going to get much sympathy here but just wondering if anyone else feels the same way way. I’ve been into cars my whole life and even work on the periphery of the field currently. I’ve owned many brands over the years but always like Toyota and Lexus which is why I’ve owned three of them in the last 10 years. My previous Lexus was a 2nd gen rx350 that I loved even though I had to do a number of repairs in the last few years. Anyway this winter I took the plunge and bought a very lightly used 2017 rx350 with only 30k miles from the dealer and I have a terrible case of buyers remorse that is shown if no sign of going away 3 months after the purchase. I am not elderly - in fact I only turned 40 but I find the electronics and technology in this vehicle a constant source of annoyance and frustration. I bought the stand model hoping to avoid as much as possible but it’s still full of gadgets I neither want or need. My second major criticism is about how this car drives. I know it’s no Mazda miata but this is the most uninspiring drive I’ve ever had. My 2nd gen Rx was not a great handling unit by any stretch of the imagination but I felt like I still had some semblance of road feel. This thing is just numb and feels like a big cumbersome barge. The 8 speed transmission also doesn’t help with the experience either but hoping they can install some new software at least for that when it goes in for the fuel pump recall.

I am a bit stuck as I don’t feel like taking a massive bath by trading it in but having a car I like is important to me.

I’m not trying to trash the car but only offer my honest experience. Has anyone else felt similarly?
I purchased a 2019 RX 350 base in May '19. Buyers remorse immediately. Why? The stereo was plain-jane. Sounded horrible. Traded in in Aug 2020 for the model with navigation which included a kick-a** sound system. It has so much
electronics and gadgets on it I"m sure there is a whole lot I don't know about. These days it seems most cars come with "packages", like mine, the navigation system. Because of that I had to pay more for that but it also came with more stuff than
I know what to do with. Point being, cars these days have all kinds of electronic gadgets and crap. It's the norm now. I don't care for all the electronics either, just the sound system. Tha'ts why I still have my 2002 Toyota Camry. Runs like a
champ. Comparing my 2020 to my 2015 the 2020 ride is excellent; a little stiffer than the '15. The '15 model years and previous years had a "sloppy" ride but it was still good. The '20 is a stiffer ride but is very good. No road noise. Excellent
ride and feel as I drive mainly between two major cities and love it. The only thing I don't like is the 8-speed tranny. Seems to be some hesitation on the gas pedal but it's all good for now.

In summary, most cars these days are going to have a whole bunch of electronic crap on them. Fact of life. Again my buyers remorse was on the sound system and nav. I fixed it by trading in. Good move on my part I believe.
Be careful about trading in for something else, it too may have all the electronic stuff your don't care for.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (05-28-21)
Old 05-27-21, 07:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I am not looking for massive storage, however the rx is not a small vehicle - larger in fact than the previous gens - yet somehow seems to have less storage room. It seems like practicality was sacrificed for the appearance (raked roof and canted tailgate). If I’m going to drive a 4400lbs vehicle you’d think I could fit my Costco purchases in the back without taking down the rear seats.
Yep and that appearance seems to attract 100K+ buyers every year.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dibl (05-27-21), websurfer (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 10:09 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

I am a Lexus and Toyota fan and I did not come here looking for a fight by any means, but I cannot resist making the point that high sales do not necessarily indicate the best vehicle by any means (take the J body cavalier for example or some of the American trucks). I realize this isn't a completely fair comparison but my point is, that sales numbers do not necessarily mean greatness so anyone but the manufacturer.
It's certainly not the best but it's the best overall for these buyers. If you look and test drive similar priced and typed SUVs, you most likely will agree with the buyers. If it bothers you that much, I would just turn around and sell it or trade in. They may offer you more than you anticipate.

Originally Posted by Badhobz
Cons
- drives like meh.... but it's a crossover, not a sports car so whatever
- interior fit and finish are super cheap.... but I was able to remedy all the squeaks and rattles myself with some sound-isolating tape. Taking apart the trim wasn't something I expected to have to do on a Lexus.
- driver seat rail bolt creak, but I'm going to have the dealer look at it. I lubed it with some lithium grease but its still audible
- A trim piece fell off the sunroof by itself... literally fell on top of my dog's head. Looks like it was just glued in and will need to be replaced by the dealer.
What are you comparing to though? Maybe your expectation is not realistic? Imo, this gen rx's interior is nice considering how long it has been out -- the two tone seats, the steering wheel, the displays... It also comes with some nice features.

Originally Posted by dibl
Here's the question: "Compared to what other 2017 offering?"
Bingo

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-27-21 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1111GS:
coolbrazz (05-28-21), Freds430 (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 11:30 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
What are you comparing to though? Maybe your expectation is not realistic? Imo, this gen rx's interior is nice considering how long it has been out -- the two tone seats, the steering wheel, the displays... It also comes with some nice features.
Yes it LOOKS nice and FEELS nice, but its cheaply put together. Almost the entire interior is fastened together with cheap little plastic tabs and these rattles and loosen over time. The older lexus(s) used metal screws and even though they don't have as many "soft touch" materials, it never rattled or squeak after prolonged ownership. The fact that i had to take apart almost all the dash trim pieces of my 2017 with only 36,000kms on it to fix rattles and squeaks shows the cost cutting. My 02 sc430, 10' ES 350 and 08 RX never had these issues.
Old 05-27-21, 12:30 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Have a 2017 with 60,000 miles and is as quiet as the first day of ownership.
Old 05-27-21, 12:40 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

.... Almost the entire interior is fastened together with cheap little plastic tabs and these rattles and loosen over time. The older lexus(s) used metal screws .....
Yes, and the Model T used iron rivets .... LOL.

Actually, from a manufacturing engineering perspective, I am impressed with the precision and the fit of the "cheap" plastic trim and accessory components in my car. When I installed my dual dashcam system, I had occasion to get up close and personal with quite a few of the plastic pieces, from the rear hatch trim, down the C pillar, along the kick plates, under the B pillar, up the A pillar and across the headliner. It is molded plastic, but it is very well designed and undoubtedly saves huge amounts of hands-on screwdriver time during assembly. Plus, no stripped screw holes anywhere. I guess I'm impressed because mine doesn't squeak. Either that, or my 70-year old ears can't hear it.
Old 05-27-21, 01:53 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes it LOOKS nice and FEELS nice, but its cheaply put together. Almost the entire interior is fastened together with cheap little plastic tabs and these rattles and loosen over time. The older lexus(s) used metal screws and even though they don't have as many "soft touch" materials, it never rattled or squeak after prolonged ownership. The fact that i had to take apart almost all the dash trim pieces of my 2017 with only 36,000kms on it to fix rattles and squeaks shows the cost cutting. My 02 sc430, 10' ES 350 and 08 RX never had these issues.
I don't know if you had a bad one or not but ours (17 too) is short your mileage about 5k miles but has none issue. It still drives like day 1. I don't recall seeing this type of problems reported here often. You also compared this gen to your 2nd gen RX. Imo 2nd and even 3rd gen is no where near this 4th gen. We've had all three generations by the way. None of the rx's has given us a single issue. The only one noticeable thing that I can remember was the push button on the 2nd gen melted.
Old 05-27-21, 02:08 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey all. I realize I’m not going to get much sympathy here but just wondering if anyone else feels the same way way. I’ve been into cars my whole life and even work on the periphery of the field currently. I’ve owned many brands over the years but always like Toyota and Lexus which is why I’ve owned three of them in the last 10 years. My previous Lexus was a 2nd gen rx350 that I loved even though I had to do a number of repairs in the last few years. Anyway this winter I took the plunge and bought a very lightly used 2017 rx350 with only 30k miles from the dealer and I have a terrible case of buyers remorse that is shown if no sign of going away 3 months after the purchase. I am not elderly - in fact I only turned 40 but I find the electronics and technology in this vehicle a constant source of annoyance and frustration. I bought the stand model hoping to avoid as much as possible but it’s still full of gadgets I neither want or need. My second major criticism is about how this car drives. I know it’s no Mazda miata but this is the most uninspiring drive I’ve ever had. My 2nd gen Rx was not a great handling unit by any stretch of the imagination but I felt like I still had some semblance of road feel. This thing is just numb and feels like a big cumbersome barge. The 8 speed transmission also doesn’t help with the experience either but hoping they can install some new software at least for that when it goes in for the fuel pump recall.

I am a bit stuck as I don’t feel like taking a massive bath by trading it in but having a car I like is important to me.

I’m not trying to trash the car but only offer my honest experience. Has anyone else felt similarly?
Actually there's good news for you. Used car prices have gone up by at least 20% here in Los Angeles. I am sure it's similar in Canada. Worst case scenario you're not going to lose much.
Second, go and read all the reviews on your car and see what they have to say. You'll be surprised how it'll make you look at your own car differently. Audio systems can always be upgraded but not the car itself. You bought a Lexus and it means a lot in terms of reliability etc. But really, go back and read reviews.
Old 05-28-21, 01:29 AM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Yep and that appearance seems to attract 100K+ buyers every year.
With all due respect, the previous gens sold as well or better with conventional styling.
Old 05-28-21, 01:46 AM
Uzcanadian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickSP
Actually there's good news for you. Used car prices have gone up by at least 20% here in Los Angeles. I am sure it's similar in Canada. Worst case scenario you're not going to lose much.
Second, go and read all the reviews on your car and see what they have to say. You'll be surprised how it'll make you look at your own car differently. Audio systems can always be upgraded but not the car itself. You bought a Lexus and it means a lot in terms of reliability etc. But really, go back and read reviews.
Yes, no question there might be some hope to not take as much of a bath as I was anticipating, however as it was a dealer Lexus certified and I even went a province over for a better price it’s hard to get close to breaking even. With a private sale I could get more in theory but then I don’t get the tax back on whatever the new unit ends up being. Cars by their nature are almost always going to be a money losing proposition but this will be 3000 very expensive Kms not to mention the frustration and stress it has caused.

Your advice is good and well taken. I have gone back and read reviews and even part of my reason for posting here is to see other perspectives. I really wanted (and want) to like this car -It would make my life much easier and likely cheaper! I cannot deny that two bad Lexus dealer experiences may have tainted the purchase from the start but I’ve tried not to let it cloud my view too much. Each time I take it out I try to have an open mind but I have to admit that the last few weeks I’ve mostly been taking my wife’s car instead to avoid coming home upset. I even bought new tires to replace the Bridgestone as I thought that may help the handling but to no avail.

If I do end up keeping it, it will simply be to avoid the hassle and expense of replacing it which I don’t look forward to and that’s adding to my frustration.

Last edited by Uzcanadian; 05-28-21 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 05:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

With all due respect, the previous gens sold as well or better with conventional styling.
You can buy a used one if you prefer it. Good luck.
Uzcanadian (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 08:32 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Uzcanadian,

Well what got you here is now water under the bridge. There is no such thing as the right car for everyone, only the right car for you. We all have different tastes and priorities, so there's no point in talking you into liking the car if you don't.

Not sure if you've tried the sport modes (if you have them). My F-Sport in Sport mode tightens up quite a bit. If the electronic "gadgets" bother you, you can turn a lot of them off. But that's about all I can suggest.

I'll tell you this - we just (yesterday) bought my wife a 2021 X3. There are already features not available because of this chip shortage (like the upgraded sound system is not available). As the months go by, the sales guy said other things are going to start falling off the list. As a result, the used car market is strong and will continue to get stronger. My bet is if the chip shortage is still around by Aug or Sept you may be surprised what you can get for your car.

You have to learn to love it or trade out of it. But the best time to get out of it may not be very far away.
coolbrazz (06-02-21)
Old 06-01-21, 10:41 PM
benmingli
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 2021 RX for a month, I don't regret because I know that I'm getting a reliable boat on the road. It's meant to be a family hauler not a driver's machine. I admit the driving experience of RX sucks, really sucks. like night and day compared to my bmw. But bmw quality sucks so bad, and that's the reason I'm getting a Lexus.
The following 3 users liked this post by benmingli:
coolbrazz (06-02-21), Nail34 (06-02-21), websurfer (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 10:48 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 260 Posts

I guess no vehicle is perfect. I love my GS but I think we need a RX.

Quick Reply: Help buyers remorse