RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Help buyers remorse

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21 | 06:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by benmingli
I had my 2021 RX for a month, I don't regret because I know that I'm getting a reliable boat on the road. It's meant to be a family hauler not a driver's machine. I admit the driving experience of RX sucks, really sucks. like night and day compared to my bmw. But bmw quality sucks so bad, and that's the reason I'm getting a Lexus.
Yes the RX is a touch different than my son in law's M4
Old 06-02-21 | 09:00 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by websurfer
I guess no vehicle is perfect. I love my GS but I think we need a RX.
I agree. I think much of this discontent depends on expectations and the vehicles the RX is compared against. I have never owned a sports car, and I don't drive in a particularly "spirited" manner, so this drives and handles just fine for my needs and expectations. It is an SUV after all, so I'm not expecting it to be a canyon carver. Frankly, I have always been puzzled where the "S" in SUV came from. Who thought these were "sporty" anyway? They should just call them what they are, UVs. There are really just a small number that should have the "sport" moniker in their descriptions. The RX is an excellent vehicle for what it is but it is no sports car and it was never intended to be one. But I'm sure the best course for the OP is to just sell it. Life is too short to live with a car you dislike.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (06-03-21)
Old 06-02-21 | 10:43 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by TechNut
I agree. I think much of this discontent depends on expectations and the vehicles the RX is compared against. I have never owned a sports car, and I don't drive in a particularly "spirited" manner, so this drives and handles just fine for my needs and expectations. It is an SUV after all, so I'm not expecting it to be a canyon carver. Frankly, I have always been puzzled where the "S" in SUV came from. Who thought these were "sporty" anyway? They should just call them what they are, UVs. There are really just a small number that should have the "sport" moniker in their descriptions. The RX is an excellent vehicle for what it is but it is no sports car and it was never intended to be one. But I'm sure the best course for the OP is to just sell it. Life is too short to live with a car you dislike.
LOL. I heard ya. I actually enjoy the smoothness/power of the GS but wanted more room given my son is around 6 ft tall but I'm not driving it spirited much at all . I'm just hanging out in the RX given I think it's still an excellent vehicle for my next vehicle.

For the OP, if the RX keeps you up at nights it's not worth keeping.
Old 06-02-21 | 01:32 PM
deboshow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
Hey all. I realize I’m not going to get much sympathy here but just wondering if anyone else feels the same way way. I’ve been into cars my whole life and even work on the periphery of the field currently. I’ve owned many brands over the years but always like Toyota and Lexus which is why I’ve owned three of them in the last 10 years. My previous Lexus was a 2nd gen rx350 that I loved even though I had to do a number of repairs in the last few years. Anyway this winter I took the plunge and bought a very lightly used 2017 rx350 with only 30k miles from the dealer and I have a terrible case of buyers remorse that is shown if no sign of going away 3 months after the purchase. I am not elderly - in fact I only turned 40 but I find the electronics and technology in this vehicle a constant source of annoyance and frustration. I bought the stand model hoping to avoid as much as possible but it’s still full of gadgets I neither want or need. My second major criticism is about how this car drives. I know it’s no Mazda miata but this is the most uninspiring drive I’ve ever had. My 2nd gen Rx was not a great handling unit by any stretch of the imagination but I felt like I still had some semblance of road feel. This thing is just numb and feels like a big cumbersome barge. The 8 speed transmission also doesn’t help with the experience either but hoping they can install some new software at least for that when it goes in for the fuel pump recall.

I am a bit stuck as I don’t feel like taking a massive bath by trading it in but having a car I like is important to me.

I’m not trying to trash the car but only offer my honest experience. Has anyone else felt similarly?

***I UNDERSTAND HOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL BUT IT GET'S BETTER!!** I bought the same year and model as you did in Nightfall Mica---so let's just say my remorse started with the color when I had my heart set on white.
I came from a 2003 ACURA TL Type-S -my favorite vehicle and the most fun to drive I have ever owned-reading your post I felt like I wrote. I have loved cars and owned quite a few. Just turned 42. Sold Hondas and VWs for 3 years, so I know a lot about cars and have driven a variety. I couldn't sleep at night after buying my RX because everything was wrong--I hated the drive, the color (as mentioned) the wheel size, the transmission, the SOUND SYSTEM---it was everything that my beloved TL was not. But after making some mods--mostly cosmetic--window visors, tinting windows, running boards, leds under the dash, a little girly bling here and there, It started to warm up on me. THe drive is nothing to write home about but I've found switching the modes and just putting the pedal to the metal when i need gives me some of the fun to drive action I crave. What made me build value is the reputation. The reliability, the cost of ownership, and even though half the buttons in the car I don't use or don't respond the way I want, I'm still entertained at stop lights. I may keep this car or trade it at some point not sure--but since I'm paying for it, I found ways to appreciate. It will hold it's value and I don't have to worry about paying the note and repairs like i did with a BMW I owned. So hope this helps you!
The following 3 users liked this post by deboshow:
Cocal (06-02-21), Uzcanadian (06-02-21), websurfer (06-02-21)
Old 06-07-21 | 09:16 PM
payman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Uzcanadian
Hey all. I realize I’m not going to get much sympathy here but just wondering if anyone else feels the same way way. I’ve been into cars my whole life and even work on the periphery of the field currently. I’ve owned many brands over the years but always like Toyota and Lexus which is why I’ve owned three of them in the last 10 years. My previous Lexus was a 2nd gen rx350 that I loved even though I had to do a number of repairs in the last few years. Anyway this winter I took the plunge and bought a very lightly used 2017 rx350 with only 30k miles from the dealer and I have a terrible case of buyers remorse that is shown if no sign of going away 3 months after the purchase. I am not elderly - in fact I only turned 40 but I find the electronics and technology in this vehicle a constant source of annoyance and frustration. I bought the stand model hoping to avoid as much as possible but it’s still full of gadgets I neither want or need. My second major criticism is about how this car drives. I know it’s no Mazda miata but this is the most uninspiring drive I’ve ever had. My 2nd gen Rx was not a great handling unit by any stretch of the imagination but I felt like I still had some semblance of road feel. This thing is just numb and feels like a big cumbersome barge. The 8 speed transmission also doesn’t help with the experience either but hoping they can install some new software at least for that when it goes in for the fuel pump recall.

I am a bit stuck as I don’t feel like taking a massive bath by trading it in but having a car I like is important to me.

I’m not trying to trash the car but only offer my honest experience. Has anyone else felt similarly?
We have a 2017 RX 350 F Sport which we purchased in June 2020 with just under 30k miles. We did plenty of research, test drives, read reviews, watched YouTube reviews, and decided on purchasing the RX. I really liked the GX but the dated interior and rear door was the deal breaker for my wife. The Euro equivalents are just too unreliable for me to deal with - I had an M3 for 6 years so I’ve spent my fair share on maintenance and annoying little issues. We also didn’t want to try the Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade since they were going above sticker at the time.

I have similar feelings as you do about the RX. The things you mentioned in your post are valid points in my opinion. I just don’t know if I would dump it for any vehicle above a model year 2017 in the $40k range. To me there really isn’t much out there which would be a good replacement at the moment. When I park the car there’s definitely not a smile on my face like the S2000 gave me but I look for things I enjoy, like a back seat and space for 4.5 adults.
Old 06-09-21 | 11:22 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by benmingli
I had my 2021 RX for a month, I don't regret because I know that I'm getting a reliable boat on the road. It's meant to be a family hauler not a driver's machine. I admit the driving experience of RX sucks, really sucks. like night and day compared to my bmw. But bmw quality sucks so bad, and that's the reason I'm getting a Lexus.
We have a 2015 X5, and a 2016 RX 450h. I have to say, the quality of both has been outstanding. The BMW has been fault free, just like my Lexus. Where they differ is the maintenance cost. Oil changes, brakes, etc on my RX is what you'd expect for most any car both in how long they last and cost to replace. The problem with the X5 is that the wear items wear out much faster (tires, because of the rear camber and brakes), and when they do, you have to pay dearly for labor and parts that are so expensive they must be crafted with unicorn dust mixed with the tears of Bavarian elves. Recently we had to replace the rear brake pads and they were $700. Normally I do a lot of maintenance myself but BMW design makes that really difficult unless you have well above average knowledge and tools.

But the actual build quality and reliability of our X5 has been very Lexus-like.

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-09-21 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-09-21 | 04:35 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1Louder
We have a 2015 X5, and a 2016 RX 450h. I have to say, the quality of both has been outstanding. The BMW has been fault free, just like my Lexus. Where they differ is the maintenance cost. Oil changes, brakes, etc on my RX is what you'd expect for most any car both in how long they last and cost to replace. The problem with the X5 is that the wear items wear out much faster (tires, because of the rear camber and brakes), and when they do, you have to pay dearly for labor and parts that are so expensive they must be crafted with unicorn dust mixed with the tears of Bavarian elves. Recently we had to replace the rear brake pads and they were $700. Normally I do a lot of maintenance myself but BMW design makes that really difficult unless you have well above average knowledge and tools.

But the actual build quality and reliability of our X5 has been very Lexus-like.
Confirming your comment about maintenance cost.

Old 06-09-21 | 04:48 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Confirming your comment about maintenance cost.
How current is that chart with Mercury and Saturn on the list🤔
Old 06-09-21 | 06:15 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Saturn died in 2009 - the chart is at least 12 years old. LOL That is funny.
Old 06-10-21 | 04:24 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrobe
Saturn died in 2009 - the chart is at least 12 years old. LOL That is funny.
The chart is 5 years old. They are looking at vehicles over ten years. The fact that Saturn stopped production in 2009 has nothing to do with the time frame of the chart. If someone bought a 2009 Saturn they are referencing maintenance cost ten years up tp 2019. Don't think in the last five years BMW and Mercedes have lowered their maintenance cost and Lexus has raised theirs more in proportion to the rest of the brands. LOL!

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-maddy-martin