RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Owner reviews/impressions please of 2021 (or 2020) RX-350

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 04:27 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Owner reviews/impressions please of 2021 (or 2020) RX-350

Hi. First post here, frequent poster on the LC board and former owner of two SC430s.

We're awaiting delivery of a new 2021 RX-350 with the luxury package and many other upgrades. We (my wife) had an opportunity to briefly test drive a base RX-350 and we liked it just fine, but some posts on this board have me a little concerned.

I'm well aware that more people post dissatisfaction rather than satisfaction - and virtually all of the posts in question refer to older samples of the fourth generation and may not take into account recent refinements. In addition, we live several hours away from the nearest Lexus dealer, so we don't have the ability to easily return for another test, look and feel.

So, if I may, a couple of questions for owners of 2021 or 2020 models:

- Road feel. We prefer firm, responsive steering. On a 1 ('82 Caddy land boat) to 10 (LC-like sports car), how would you rate the road feel/driveability? Soft? Hard? Just right? Does switching into Sport mode make a real difference? If so, how?

- Closely related to that, maneuverability. My wife is coming out of a BMX X4, which is fairly sporty and somewhat smaller than the LX. She's a little concerned about feeling comfortable with the RX in parking lots and such. Should she be? (We actually did test it in a parking lot and she seemed OK with it, but, again, our ability to test this sort of thing was limited.)

- That's really it. I'm not worried about the embedded technology. I like bells and whistles, I've pretty much mastered the new Lexus environment through the LC I just bought, and I'm old enough (way old enough) to know that, in the end, you learn, master and use only the technological aspects that blend into your life and style. So, an open ended question: Anything else we should know before we take delivery in a week or three?

Many thanks.

Last edited by redhot47fl; 05-24-21 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-24-21, 05:03 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

I purchased a 2020 last Feb and have been very happy with my purchase. My RX has had no problems and is exactly what I expected based upon my research and multiple test drives.

The ride is very relaxed and smooth but not a sofa on wheels (as I once heard an ES described). More land boat than sports car it actually firms up pretty nicely in Sport mode. Eco and Normal are for highway cruising. I would say 4 in eco or normal and maybe a 6 or 7 in Sport. If you want to feel the gears hold longer and the steering get (somewhat more firm) then Sport mode is good. I would not call the RX sporty, but that is not really its target. I think that it does what it is supposed to do very well. I have never felt denied or wanting for more maneuverability....it does all of this very well.

My 2020 has had no issues with the hesitant or rough shifting....buttery smooth. CarPlay works perfectly and the touchscreen is soooo much better than the trackpad.

So overall I am very happy with my RX. I am at 20,000 miles and I have had no problems and the vehicle handles my 100 mile (mostly highway) commute extremely well. I look forward to driving it which I guess is the best thing that anyone can say about a vehicle.

Good luck.....don't focus on the negative. As far as I can tell some of the early Gen 4 issues have been resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quantum501:
Boxerdad (03-10-24), redhot47fl (05-24-21)
Old 05-24-21, 05:40 PM
053xr
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A month into the ownership of a brand new 2021 - extremely happy. Running extra errands every day just so that I can get more time behind the wheel

Can't comment on the "sportiness" of the ride as I don't have much to compare to - in last 20 years I only owned Camrys and ESs. Overall, the ride is exactly what I was looking for - amazingly smooth. I don't feel boat'iness, but I could see how somebody coming from sporty cars may describe it that way.

Some tech is useless while some I really enjoy -
+ having proximity sensors for parking is awesome
+ emergency break already saved me from scratching one of the wheels
+ surround view (composed from multiple cameras) - amazing for a first time SUV owner
+ very smooth adaptive cruise control (it was terrible on my last Camry, very "jumpy")
+ smart AC (not blowing to the passenger or back of the car when no one is there - saves gas)
+ even Navi (which was 100% sure I'll never use ) - ended up to be very conveninet on a recent trip: just pushing a button and speaking into it was easier than setting up car play. At some point we did use car play google maps - half way to the destination the phone lost signal, or had bad reception - basically started lagging badly. We quickly switched to Navi which worked flawlessly and that was the last time I used car play.
+ touch screen is awesome
+ auto switch between external air and internal circulation is an under appreciated feature I feel
+ love the wireless phone charger
+ love adjustable cup holder(s) [ not really electronic, but still ]

The only really "con" of the car, which of course I was prepared for (or so I thought) is the fuel efficiency, so I'm always in Eco - embarrassed to admit, but I haven't even tried Sport yet...
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (05-24-21)
Old 05-25-21, 05:19 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

@Quantum501 @053xr, many thanks for your responses. We certainly weren't expecting sports-car performance from this (or really any) SUV, but your comments are reassuring, especially regarding road feel and maneuverability. "Running extra errands every day just so that I can get more time behind the wheel." That really resonates. I've been there, done that with other vehicles. Looking forward to doing it with RX, when it arrives. (The shortage of chips and other components is creating a deepening shortage of RXs and many other new vehicles. We were lucky to lock this one down after it was manifested but before it was built.)
Old 05-25-21, 05:46 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
- Closely related to that, maneuverability. My wife is coming out of a BMX X4, which is fairly sporty and somewhat smaller than the LX. She's a little concerned about feeling comfortable with the RX in parking lots and such. Should she be? (We actually did test it in a parking lot and she seemed OK with it, but, again, our ability to test this sort of thing was limited.)
Feeling comfortable in parking lots if you are referring to size the X4 is six inches shorter then the RX and one inch wider. Should not make any difference.
Old 05-25-21, 08:18 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

We leased an '18 RX450h and turned it in for a '21 RX450h F Sport Handling.
The '18 was very nice, but I put it in Sport to deal with the squishiness.
Of course I am used to a '13 GS350 F Sport and a Tesla Model 3.

I would definitely buy the F Sport, but that's just my 2 cents.
redhot47fl (05-25-21)
Old 05-25-21, 10:52 AM
G6612
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

New owner as I took ownership of my 2021 RX350 F-Sport in February of this year. I am very pleased with this vehicle and will have to rate it very high in the driving experience as it is very quiet and smooth. Not sure how much this makes a difference but I have the F-Sport and I believe the suspension maybe a little stiffer--? no experience with other models. That being said I would say it has a ever so slightly sense of sportiness probably is just way the car makes you feel sitting in the drivers seat as I really like it! for an SUV it feels quite nice. Now not everything is perfect as my only issue which is not a big deal is that if I close my door a little too hard you will get a hollow sound coming from the door, by no means a deal breaker just surprised as it kind of gives you a sense of cheapness. Others on here have reported the same experience if anyone has a fix please let me know. With all the cars/trucks that I have owned this would probably slide into the #1 spot based on the overall driving experience. Is it the fastest? no (I have my corvette for speed!) Is it the slowest? no (I had a 1988 Chevy S10 for that) I can honestly say that for an everyday driver it just about checks off all my boxes for comfort, noise or lack of, just an overall great SUV that I enjoy driving! absolutely love it!
redhot47fl (05-25-21)
Old 05-26-21, 09:50 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

You can read my full one year review of my 2020 RX350 here: 2020 RX350 – One year, 12.6K miles review - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion.
Some other comments specific to your questions:
Road feel: The RX is no canyon carver, and I did not expect it to be. I drive a lot in the WV mountains and prefer the RX to my wife's Pilot. Still, an Acura RDX would likely be a much more fun vehicle to drive. It fits my needs well enough wrt handling. (Mine is a base, not an F Sport. Sport mode makes very little difference, other than holding shift points a little longer.)

Maneuverability: After reading your longer question, visibility is probably as important as raw maneuverability. Like lots of sleeker SUVs, the RX's rearward sight lines are not good. The cameras, especially the panoramic camera, are very helpful, though. I don't find the RX difficult to navigate in tight spaces.
redhot47fl (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 05:02 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bamalam
You can read my full one year review of my 2020 RX350 here: 2020 RX350 – One year, 12.6K miles review - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion.
Some other comments specific to your questions:
Road feel: The RX is no canyon carver, and I did not expect it to be. I drive a lot in the WV mountains and prefer the RX to my wife's Pilot. Still, an Acura RDX would likely be a much more fun vehicle to drive. It fits my needs well enough wrt handling. (Mine is a base, not an F Sport. Sport mode makes very little difference, other than holding shift points a little longer.)

Maneuverability: After reading your longer question, visibility is probably as important as raw maneuverability. Like lots of sleeker SUVs, the RX's rearward sight lines are not good. The cameras, especially the panoramic camera, are very helpful, though. I don't find the RX difficult to navigate in tight spaces.
@bamalam, perfect! Your responses are directly in line with my queries and your thread (I don't know how I missed it) is extraordinarily complete and well-written. Both are exceptional helpful and reassuring, and my wife and I thank you for them.
bamalam (05-29-21)
Old 05-27-21, 11:46 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

We purchased our 2021 RX350 premium with lots of extras in November of 2020. My wife and I love the car for it's overall comfort and drivability.
It isn't often one looks forward to driving a car, but that's the case for us. We paid too much for this car, but we feel it was worth it. We're retired,
so we don't drive much, but when we do we still comment on how nice the car is. Hope this answers your question. Ray & Lorna A.
Old 05-27-21, 12:34 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

It helps. Thanks very much.