RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Catalytic Converter theft common on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 09:03 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter theft common on our cars?

Is it common for our cars, specifically the non-hybrid models, to have their catalytic converter stolen?

If so, what are you guys using to prevent the theft?

I heard about CatClamp https://catclamp.com/ , but wondering what else is out there.
Old 07-07-21, 11:07 PM
Lead Lap

Received 789 Likes on 536 Posts

No. Only on Toyota’s so far.
Old 07-08-21, 06:14 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Is it common for our cars, specifically the non-hybrid models, to have their catalytic converter stolen?

If so, what are you guys using to prevent the theft?

I heard about CatClamp https://catclamp.com/ , but wondering what else is out there.
Very common here in Toronto with ALL makes!
Best defense is to garage the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cocal:
coolbrazz (07-08-21), RaiderHawk (10-31-22), RickC5 (04-23-22)
Old 01-30-22, 03:19 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shock Alarm and/or catalytic shield?

Hi, I searched and didnt see anything obvious. On my beater car (2000 Honda Accord) the catalytic converter was chopped off a few days ago.

I do need to park the RX350 outside sometimes... does anyone know of any shock sensors to add to the car that integrates with the factory alarm?

Also is there any catalytic converter shields we can add, or is it difficult enough on the car?
The following users liked this post:
CharlesMG (02-03-22)
Old 01-31-22, 12:16 PM
396chevy
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I work in insurance and CA and TX this is a huge problem. Most other major cities as well. In CA, your insurance either has to use a CARB approved Aftermarket converter or the original OEM converter. ITs difficult to find an AM converter that is CARB approved. Occasionally CA allows the use of NON -carb approved converters but its rare.

Most of these thieves are extremely efficient in cutting them off, we have seen them cut through virtually every cage or security device that's out there. Also, i don't know of any specific security devices for the 2016+ RX350. A shock sensor could be a deterrent in theory but 99% of these thefts are completed in a very short amount of time. Sometimes less than 1 min (with a skilled team of 2). It's not unusual for the car alarm to go off when these thefts happen, but usually it does nothing to stop the theft.

Honestly, your best bet is to make sure you carry sufficient auto insurance coverage or move your car inside.

Wish i had something more helpful to say.
The following 2 users liked this post by 396chevy:
CharlesMG (02-03-22), RaiderHawk (04-25-22)
Old 02-03-22, 04:32 PM
CharlesMG
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm the amount of time it takes is very little. My Lexus, and another neighbor with a similar but later model Lexus got cut the same morning. I got mine on video, and in her case, she saw them in her driveway cutting it but before she could get dressed and get down to her driveway they were gone. There is some evidence from another neighbor that the car they were driving to *DO* the cutting was itself stolen.

I think an alarm is an almost useless way to go. My car has so much clearance, they didn't even have to jack it up like a Prius. Maybe the sawzall makes some vibration, but I don't think a lot. But, I was thinking just like you to have one layer of protection be an alarm. I did consider it. I usually park my car within range of my wifi, but our one car garage isn't usually available to my car. So, I've considered a vibration sensor that ties into my SmartThings system. I could instantly get a text message when there is a vibration and it wouldn't do anything when driving (except right by my house). But, then I face the same issue as my neighbor - what would I do? In general, these thieves are organized crime. Some catalytic converter thieves are armed

Of course, you can't put any sensors directly *ON* the exhaust system because it gets so hot. It's a tough problem, but I'm leaning towards a plate - sort of as effective as "The Club" because you just want them to move to another car (although stealing multiple cars to drive is more time-consuming than cutting multiple CC's off)

Originally Posted by 396chevy
I work in insurance and CA and TX this is a huge problem. Most other major cities as well. In CA, your insurance either has to use a CARB approved Aftermarket converter or the original OEM converter. ITs difficult to find an AM converter that is CARB approved. Occasionally CA allows the use of NON -carb approved converters but its rare.

Most of these thieves are extremely efficient in cutting them off, we have seen them cut through virtually every cage or security device that's out there. Also, i don't know of any specific security devices for the 2016+ RX350. A shock sensor could be a deterrent in theory but 99% of these thefts are completed in a very short amount of time. Sometimes less than 1 min (with a skilled team of 2). It's not unusual for the car alarm to go off when these thefts happen, but usually it does nothing to stop the theft.

Honestly, your best bet is to make sure you carry sufficient auto insurance coverage or move your car inside.

Wish i had something more helpful to say.
Old 02-04-22, 08:24 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Perhaps this is already done, but if catalytic converters carried serial numbers and the businesses that do the reclaiming of precious metals are spot checked often, then this should discourage thefts.
Old 02-04-22, 08:58 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Perhaps this is already done, but if catalytic converters carried serial numbers and the businesses that do the reclaiming of precious metals are spot checked often, then this should discourage thefts.
A good thought, but most of the businesses involved in this aren't exactly, say, listed on the stock market.
RickC5 (04-23-22)
Old 02-05-22, 02:08 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Related to CharlesMG's post, this video shows just how *****ty and dangerous some thieves are in our area:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/arm...ENF7JRNEMYMAQ/

These people need to be stopped, once and for all.
The following 2 users liked this post by mak99:
lig (07-18-22), RaiderHawk (02-21-22)
Old 02-05-22, 04:39 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by mak99
Related to CharlesMG's post, this video shows just how *****ty and dangerous some thieves are in our area:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/arm...ENF7JRNEMYMAQ/

These people need to be stopped, once and for all.
I think we all completely agree, but the question is..........how?
Old 02-05-22, 05:23 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Cat theft has not been high on my list of things to worry about. I live in a relatively safe small town and such crime is not frequent as far as I know. I'm retired and tend not to venture or park in larger nearby cities. I do understand it's an issue nationally. But most of the disappearing cats I hear about were done by the owners.
Old 02-06-22, 07:11 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

So insurance won't cover this? I figure an deductible and a police report of theft with your claim maybe. Just asking I'm not really worried about this in my area, but curious.
Old 02-06-22, 08:57 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
So insurance won't cover this? I figure an deductible and a police report of theft with your claim maybe. Just asking I'm not really worried about this in my area, but curious.
I'm pretty sure most insurance policies would cover it, but factoring in a deductible might make it not worthwhile.
Old 02-07-22, 07:02 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I'm pretty sure most insurance policies would cover it, but factoring in a deductible might make it not worthwhile.
Calculating parts & labor vs deductible if any would be a factor in a decision I hope I won't have to make.
thx
ravenuer (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 11:50 AM
396chevy
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Insurance does cover the theft of a catalytic converter. (Assuming you carry comprehensive coverage) Unless you are carrying a $2000+ deductible, it will definitely be worth it to go through insurance. This would be considered a theft/vandalism claim which generally don't affect your premiums. And even if the claim ends up being lower than your deductible, the insurance is often able to negotiate a lower price than you would get if you didn't go through insurance. But you can always take it to the repair shop and ask for an estimate, if its higher than your deductible, go through insurance.

Going to the dealer will generally result in a higher cost even though it will be repaired the same everywhere. This is because the dealers labor rates are often the highest in the area. Take it to a body shop, they have pre-negotiated labor rates with most insurance companies. FYI

Based on my quick search, when a thief cuts off the cat, they will likely cut where I marked in yellow. This effectively destroys the entire part circled in red. The MSRP for that part is between $1350 and $1800, depending on exact model. After you factor in labor $$$$ and gaskets etc, you will probably be well, well over $2000.

The following 4 users liked this post by 396chevy:
CharlesMG (02-07-22), coolbrazz (02-07-22), ravenuer (02-07-22), websurfer (02-07-22)

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter theft common on our cars?