RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus RX 450H vs. Genesis Gv80 vs. Audi Q7 vs. BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 08:06 PM
CaliTL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX 450H vs. Genesis Gv80 vs. Audi Q7 vs. BMW X5

I'm trying to decide between a Lexus RX 450H and other similar options. I was recently very impressed with a test drive of the Genesis Gv80. The drive train and suspension on the Genesis not quite as smooth or efficient or quiet as the Lexus RX 450H (30 MPG lexus vs. 15 to 20 MPG Genesis), but it's powerful enough and fun enough to drive and has great safety tech. The real draw is that the interiors of the Genesis are really beautiful, better quality materials, and the infotainment and nav system is way better. The Genesis is so nice and modern that getting into a Lexus RX after being in a Genesis feels like getting into an old base model Toyota. You really notice all the cheap plastic and the low res screen and what not. Again, I do think the Lexus hybrid drives a little better.

The warranty on the Genesis is much better (10 years, valet repair service). The GV80 is new, so it's hard to know about reliability, but JD Power rates Genesis only slightly less reliable than Toyota. With used Lexus RX 450Hs costing north of 40K, the Genesis is looking pretty good at $50K-$70K MSRP new.

Has anyone else looked into Genesis as an alternative or taken the plunge? What has your experience been like? How did you think about the Lexus RX vs. Genesis Gv80 decision?
Old 07-16-21, 05:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Genesis producing plenty of nice vehicles these days. Awful dealer network if you care about that and beware of depreciation - they don't hold their value for one reason or another. In addition, dealers are asking well above MSRP on that particular model from what I've read. At the end of the day, no way I'd spend $70K on a Hyundai product. That's just me.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
coolbrazz (07-16-21), Freds430 (12-20-23), lgb0250 (12-21-23)
Old 07-16-21, 07:58 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Genesis producing plenty of nice vehicles these days. Awful dealer network if you care about that and beware of depreciation - they don't hold their value for one reason or another. In addition, dealers are asking well above MSRP on that particular model from what I've read. At the end of the day, no way I'd spend $70K on a Hyundai product. That's just me.
I'm 100% with you! I had an Azera, Hyundai 1st foray into the luxury market then, nothing bad to say about the car, but the company had no idea and still doesn't of what buyers into this bracket expect.
The Azera was never marketed and when I traded it in for a MB350 I took a bath on resale (50K Km) many dealers hadn't even heard of the name.
Throughout my ownership I felt like an orphan, bereft of marketing support. Needless to say when Hyundai offered me a deal on the 1st Genesis I declined and told them why, no response nor interest.
If you buy a Genesis you're on your own!!
Old 07-16-21, 08:13 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

The Genesis has such a unique look these days, hard to ignore. I doubt you'll get Toyota quality but they are by no means bad anymore.
My concern would be the bump stickers I hear dealers are putting on new SUVs at the moment.
Old 07-16-21, 08:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cocal
I'm 100% with you! I had an Azera, Hyundai 1st foray into the luxury market then, nothing bad to say about the car, but the company had no idea and still doesn't of what buyers into this bracket expect.
The Azera was never marketed and when I traded it in for a MB350 I took a bath on resale (50K Km) many dealers hadn't even heard of the name.
Throughout my ownership I felt like an orphan, bereft of marketing support. Needless to say when Hyundai offered me a deal on the 1st Genesis I declined and told them why, no response nor interest.
If you buy a Genesis you're on your own!!
I owned a 2014 Azera as well. Great car but I hated the ball bearing in a can sound every time I started the engine. I traded it at 60K miles for my ES.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 08:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sqlboy2000
The Genesis has such a unique look these days, hard to ignore. I doubt you'll get Toyota quality but they are by no means bad anymore.
My concern would be the bump stickers I hear dealers are putting on new SUVs at the moment.
Some adding $10K to MSRP for the GV80 and GV70. I snoop around on their forums every now and then.
Old 07-16-21, 03:30 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

I would be worried about durability & trade-in value. At least Lexus checked both of those boxes. Hyundai has a 10yr warranty for a reason, and the only good trade on a Hyundai is buying another.
Their cars are nice looking and drives pretty well. I actually got my daughter a 2022 Tucson and after 2 months been running great.

Last edited by coolbrazz; 07-16-21 at 08:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-16-21, 06:32 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I would be worried about durability & trade-in value. At least Lexus checked both of those boxes. Hyundai has a 10yr warranty for a reason, and the only good trade-in you can get is on a Hyundai is buying another.
Their cars are nice looking though actually got my daughter a 2022 Tucson. After 2 months been running great.
I agree with you about the 10-year warranty. There is a reason for it.
Old 07-17-21, 03:18 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

The 10 year warranty is a result of Hyundai's disastrous initial entry into the U.S. market in the late 1980s, with some fragile junk (Scoupe) that was beyond unreliable. They got pounded for the poor quality and unreliability of their cars, and went back to the drawing board and developed a world-class quality assurance system and better designs. When I was in a pinch in early 2005 with a failing Dodge and a 104 mile daily commute, I picked up a leftover 2004 Santa Fe, and ended up driving it 9 years and 135K miles, with no serious problems. When I traded it in for my 2015 RX, everything was working except the CD player. My wife has been driving a 2016 Elantra for almost 5 years with no trouble of any kind. And I was surprised a month ago to see that my daughter has somehow managed to put 60K miles on her 2016 Elantra, when I took it for an oil change. So my experience indicates that you won't need the 100K mile warranty. But it is a fact that the resale value of a used Hyundai remains poor to this day, so if you buy one you should plan to drive it the full 100K miles and not get much for it when you're done with it.

BTW, I agree, the GV80 is a beautiful vehicle. Too bad 2021 is such a rotten time to buy a car.

Last edited by dibl; 07-17-21 at 03:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (07-17-21), GoldenYear (12-22-23)
Old 07-17-21, 06:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dibl
The 10 year warranty is a result of Hyundai's disastrous initial entry into the U.S. market in the late 1980s, with some fragile junk (Scoupe) that was beyond unreliable. They got pounded for the poor quality and unreliability of their cars, and went back to the drawing board and developed a world-class quality assurance system and better designs. When I was in a pinch in early 2005 with a failing Dodge and a 104 mile daily commute, I picked up a leftover 2004 Santa Fe, and ended up driving it 9 years and 135K miles, with no serious problems. When I traded it in for my 2015 RX, everything was working except the CD player. My wife has been driving a 2016 Elantra for almost 5 years with no trouble of any kind. And I was surprised a month ago to see that my daughter has somehow managed to put 60K miles on her 2016 Elantra, when I took it for an oil change. So my experience indicates that you won't need the 100K mile warranty. But it is a fact that the resale value of a used Hyundai remains poor to this day, so if you buy one you should plan to drive it the full 100K miles and not get much for it when you're done with it.

BTW, I agree, the GV80 is a beautiful vehicle. Too bad 2021 is such a rotten time to buy a car.
The 10 year warranty is a marketing gimmick. While they do have plenty of quality products these days (my coworker drives an Elantra with 285k miles every day for his 200 mile commute round trip) theyve also had plenty of engine issues over the years.
Old 07-17-21, 06:07 AM
ronolexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The 10 year warranty is a marketing gimmick. While they do have plenty of quality products these days (my coworker drives an Elantra with 285k miles every day for his 200 mile commute round trip) theyve also had plenty of engine issues over the years.
Now I'm tempted to get the 2022 Infiniti QX60!
Old 07-17-21, 01:06 PM
CaliTL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, this is a really helpful response. I have a few followups. Do you think that the Genesis could go more than 100,000 miles? I'm generally in the "buy used and run it into the ground" camp (all of my previous cars have been toyotas), but I find myself very tempted by the Genesis.

I can get a used Lexus RX 450H in my area (2016-2020) with 30,000 miles on it for around $40K, maybe a bit less if I can arrange a private sale or negotiate hard with the dealers or wait till December / January. A new Genesis GV80 would probably be closer to $60K, and they are too new to find any used ones unless I want to wait two to three years.

So the questions are:

1. How many miles should I expect to get out of an RX450H 2016 or later versus a new Genesis? Can I expect a used Lexus RX 450H to be in good shape, or should I worry it's a lemon if anyone traded it in instead of buying it at the end of the lease?
2. Do the materials on the Genesis seem to be of a kind that would hold up well even when the car is old? I've seen some old Rolls Royces and Bentleys that still look great.
3. Should I be worried that the GV80 just came out and they are still working out the bugs? Or is it close enough to the G80 that I shouldn't worry too much?
4. Is there a way to upgrade the Lexus RX450H that will make it nicer and more comparable to a Genesis, at least the interior? The dealer mentioned the "luxury package" with the fancier leather seats, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to do the trick, given all the plastic everywhere, and the busy interior and the ancient looking infotainment system. Granted I'll probably just use my phone and apple car play, but still... Has anyone tried some kind of custom job to make the interior and the infotainment nicer, or does this cause too many problems / cost too much? The new Lexus LS has a nice interior. I don't know why they make the RX interior look so cheap.
Old 07-17-21, 01:39 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by CaliTL
Thank you, this is a really helpful response. I have a few followups. Do you think that the Genesis could go more than 100,000 miles? I'm generally in the "buy used and run it into the ground" camp (all of my previous cars have been toyotas), but I find myself very tempted by the Genesis.

I can get a used Lexus RX 450H in my area (2016-2020) with 30,000 miles on it for around $40K, maybe a bit less if I can arrange a private sale or negotiate hard with the dealers or wait till December / January. A new Genesis GV80 would probably be closer to $60K, and they are too new to find any used ones unless I want to wait two to three years.

So the questions are:

1. How many miles should I expect to get out of an RX450H 2016 or later versus a new Genesis? Can I expect a used Lexus RX 450H to be in good shape, or should I worry it's a lemon if anyone traded it in instead of buying it at the end of the lease?
2. Do the materials on the Genesis seem to be of a kind that would hold up well even when the car is old? I've seen some old Rolls Royces and Bentleys that still look great.
3. Should I be worried that the GV80 just came out and they are still working out the bugs? Or is it close enough to the G80 that I shouldn't worry too much?
4. Is there a way to upgrade the Lexus RX450H that will make it nicer and more comparable to a Genesis, at least the interior? The dealer mentioned the "luxury package" with the fancier leather seats, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to do the trick, given all the plastic everywhere, and the busy interior and the ancient looking infotainment system. Granted I'll probably just use my phone and apple car play, but still... Has anyone tried some kind of custom job to make the interior and the infotainment nicer, or does this cause too many problems / cost too much? The new Lexus LS has a nice interior. I don't know why they make the RX interior look so cheap.
Let's get a grip on reality!
How can you even think of comparing RR & Bentley interiors even or especially if old, their choice of leather is so carefully made , there is no other make that can be compared with them.
The GV80is a very nice car, I'd avoid the 4 cyl and move onto the V6 the car is too heavy for the 4 banger, but you're also comparing it to the 450h which is a hybrid, so not really apples to apples.
The inside is nice though I'm not a lover of quilting others may be, but longevity is no longer built into any of our modern cars and manufacturers care only for the within warranty rating on JD Power.
As to how well the interior will stand up over the years will depend on how well one takes care of it, if you have children maybe not so much.
The Lexus will always have a higher resale value, but after 10 years the gap may not be that much.
In terms of dependability with electronics that's hard to say, but which of the 2 brands has a reputation to uphold and is therfore MORE likely to have better ones? Toss a coin! 😇
I'd be guided by which one is more comfortable to me, which one has a better/closer dealer, you may have other parameters.
Old 07-17-21, 02:21 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cocal
Let's get a grip on reality!
How can you even think of comparing RR & Bentley interiors even or especially if old, their choice of leather is so carefully made , there is no other make that can be compared with them.
The GV80is a very nice car, I'd avoid the 4 cyl and move onto the V6 the car is too heavy for the 4 banger, but you're also comparing it to the 450h which is a hybrid, so not really apples to apples.
The inside is nice though I'm not a lover of quilting others may be, but longevity is no longer built into any of our modern cars and manufacturers care only for the within warranty rating on JD Power.
As to how well the interior will stand up over the years will depend on how well one takes care of it, if you have children maybe not so much.
The Lexus will always have a higher resale value, but after 10 years the gap may not be that much.
In terms of dependability with electronics that's hard to say, but which of the 2 brands has a reputation to uphold and is therfore MORE likely to have better ones? Toss a coin! 😇
I'd be guided by which one is more comfortable to me, which one has a better/closer dealer, you may have other parameters.
Genesis and Bentley have similar emblems😁😁
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (07-17-21)
Old 07-17-21, 04:29 PM
Cocal
Racer

Genesis and Bentley have similar emblems😁😁
Darn I had forgotten about that !!! 😱😇😁

Quick Reply: Lexus RX 450H vs. Genesis Gv80 vs. Audi Q7 vs. BMW X5