RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Dent Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 09:12 PM
Zasa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Dent Repair

Noticed a huge dent on the panel above the right front wheel. No idea how it happened but can only assume a bike or maybe a ball hit it. Any idea how much it would cost to repair it? Would also appreciate recommendations for auto body shops in GTA, Canada.

Old 08-12-21, 10:10 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope your insurance covers it. This is not an "accident" it's "comprehensive". There may not be a deductible.
I'm sorry, I don't have a shop recommendation for your.
Ray A.
Old 08-12-21, 10:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Don't have a shop recommend either but a PDR tech will be able to fix that.
Old 08-13-21, 05:07 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Check the web for a "Dent repair" in your area, you'll find that this will cost you less than your deductible.
Old 08-13-21, 05:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Paintless dent repair should handle assuming there's no paint damage. My wife's RX has a similar ding on that crease above the rear wheel. I'm having it repaired next week.
Old 08-13-21, 06:39 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I had an almost identical dent but a bit larger than yours on my RX and it was also on the fender crease. For $250 I had a paintless dent repair tech fix it and also another smaller dent on the other side. It looks as good as new. My local body shop has a PDR guy that they call in only when needed. It is tougher to repair along a crease because sometimes the paint will come off when the PDR pounds out the crease.
The following 2 users liked this post by gregjhonda:
jollick (08-13-21), JSracer (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 07:19 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Paintless dent repair should handle assuming there's no paint damage. My wife's RX has a similar ding on that crease above the rear wheel. I'm having it repaired next week.
^^^ This. That's a great candidate for paintless removal and some of those guys are wizards.
I'd check google reviews in your area for "paintless dent removal" and go with someone highly recommended. Doubt it will break the bank either.
Old 08-13-21, 08:27 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I had a smaller dent next to the left rear door made by a big white truck that slammed its door right on the bend of the metal. My dish cam caught the impact of the hit and the truck pulling away rapidly, but did not get the license.

I had Lexus Tire and Wheel coverage that includes dents and they managed to get it mostly repaired. You have to look very closely to see something happened there. So far they have fixed 6 dents and a scratched tire rim, so it has probably paid for itself already.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 11:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope your insurance covers it. This is not an "accident" it's "comprehensive". There may not be a deductible.
I'm sorry, I don't have a shop recommendation for your.
Ray A.
Yes, the repair should be covered by comprehensive coverage. Many policies actually have no deductible on comprehensive claims. Also, unlike a collision coverage claim, a comprehensive coverage claim should not impact your insurance premiums.

Originally Posted by Cocal
Check the web for a "Dent repair" in your area, you'll find that this will cost you less than your deductible.
Over the years, I've established relationships with guys that do paintless dent repair, wheel and tire repair, interior repairs, etc. in my area. When I need such work done, I contact the repair person directly and meet up with him/her at some location where he/she is working or at the technician's shop. By not going through the dealer and having the dealer take a cut, I can have work done for a fraction of what it would cost if I had the same work done by the same technician at the dealership. I've had multiple dents removed from the PDR technician that I use for less than $50.

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I had an almost identical dent but a bit larger than yours on my RX and it was also on the fender crease. For $250 I had a paintless dent repair tech fix it and also another smaller dent on the other side. It looks as good as new. My local body shop has a PDR guy that they call in only when needed. It is tougher to repair along a crease because sometimes the paint will come off when the PDR pounds out the crease.
Yes, removing a dent along a crease requires more skill, time, and care on the part of a good technician than does removing a dent in other areas of the sheet metal. Therefore, removing such a dent along a crease is likely to cost more than would removing a dent in another area. And, if not done properly, it can end up looking worse after a poorly done repair job.

Old 08-13-21, 11:37 AM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, the repair should be covered by comprehensive coverage. Many policies actually have no deductible on comprehensive claims. Also, unlike a collision coverage claim, a comprehensive coverage claim should not impact your insurance premiums.
Could you give an example of an auto insurer that offers a $0 deductible on comprehensive claims? If you have one, could you show the difference in the premium between a $0 comprehensive deductible and, say, a $500 comprehensive deductible on a late model RX 350?

Suppose, for example, you catch another driver smacking your parked RX 350 (doing hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in damage to your car). Do you simply say to the other driver, "Hey, no worries. I have a $0 deductible on comprehensive. Just go about your business as if nothing happened. Good day, sir!"?
Old 08-13-21, 12:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by DocRock
Could you give an example of an auto insurer that offers a $0 deductible on comprehensive claims? If you have one, could you show the difference in the premium between a $0 comprehensive deductible and, say, a $500 comprehensive deductible on a late model RX 350?

Suppose, for example, you catch another driver smacking your parked RX 350 (doing hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in damage to your car). Do you simply say to the other driver, "Hey, no worries. I have a $0 deductible on comprehensive. Just go about your business as if nothing happened. Good day, sir!"?
My insurance is with State Farm, and I have a $0 deductible for the comprehensive coverage. I have no idea how much less my premium would be with a deductible for the comprehensive.

If someone struck your car with another vehicle, comprehensive coverage would not cover the damage. That would be collision coverage. Comprehensive coverage is for things like hail damage, a tree falling on your car, flood damage,etc. When the nature of damage is such that it is clear that your car was impacted by a moving vehicle, that is what collision coverage is for, regardless of whether your vehicle was moving or not.

Last edited by lesz; 08-13-21 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-13-21, 01:30 PM
mrolds69
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Over the years, I've established relationships with guys that do paintless dent repair, wheel and tire repair, interior repairs, etc. in my area. When I need such work done, I contact the repair person directly and meet up with him/her at some location where he/she is working or at the technician's shop. By not going through the dealer and having the dealer take a cut, I can have work done for a fraction of what it would cost if I had the same work done by the same technician at the dealership. I've had multiple dents removed from the PDR technician that I use for less than $50.

Yes, removing a dent along a crease requires more skill, time, and care on the part of a good technician than does removing a dent in other areas of the sheet metal. Therefore, removing such a dent along a crease is likely to cost more than would removing a dent in another area. And, if not done properly, it can end up looking worse after a poorly done repair job.
I agree with the others, give it to a PDR guy. But...I'd try and find a good one first. I've had a lot of that stuff done and they can do miracles. Then, I've had poor jobs done on simple dings from others. That doesn't look like a real easy one on the crease like that.
Old 08-13-21, 02:15 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

My insurance is with State Farm, and I have a $0 deductible for the comprehensive coverage. I have no idea how much less my premium would be with a deductible for the comprehensive.

If someone struck your car with another vehicle, comprehensive coverage would not cover the damage. That would be collision coverage. Comprehensive coverage is for things like hail damage, a tree falling on your car, flood damage,etc. When the nature of damage is such that it is clear that your car was impacted by a moving vehicle, that is what collision coverage is for, regardless of whether your vehicle was moving or not.
With my auto insurance company, parked vehicle damage from an unknown source (vehicle included) comes under comprehensive coverage as we, the policy holders, were not parties to the collision (our vehicle was not moving). This has happened to us numerous times over the years: our car was parked and some a**hole hit our car, then drove off without leaving any note. Our auto insurer does not raise our rates in such circumstances. If we had seen the a**hole who hit our (parked) car, the claim would go against their collision coverage. Not ours. Collision coverage (in most non-stupid states) is for when you are at fault.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 07:42 PM
exploreco
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree with others, PDR is the way to go. I just got a golf ball dent fixed on my RX last month. Took it to a couple shops and both said it couldn't be done and had to be body work. I finally found a guy that was confident in his skills to do it. Mine was in a bad spot and took him several hours to work on it but I am very happy with the results. I am very pleased that I didn't need to do paint work to half the side of my car. He did such a good job I had him take a couple spots out of the wife's van.

Old 08-14-21, 07:19 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by exploreco
Agree with others, PDR is the way to go. I just got a golf ball dent fixed on my RX last month. Took it to a couple shops and both said it couldn't be done and had to be body work. I finally found a guy that was confident in his skills to do it. Mine was in a bad spot and took him several hours to work on it but I am very happy with the results. I am very pleased that I didn't need to do paint work to half the side of my car. He did such a good job I had him take a couple spots out of the wife's van.
Can we please see an close up after photo? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dent Repair