RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

AT&T in car WIFI turns off

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 12:10 PM
cme4oil
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AT&T in car WIFI turns off

So the question I have is the AT&T WIFI hotspot in my 2021 RX 450h supposed to be OFF when I start the car? I have to manually go into setup and then WIFI and turn it ON anytime I want to use it. So it appears that when the car is turned off that it turns the WIFI configuration setting to OFF as well. What I want and thought I'd seen somewhere is for the WIFI to turn on when I start the car?
Old 09-21-21, 12:13 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

It should not require a reset each time you start the car, but I recently have experienced random, unexpected shutdowns of the wi-fi system in both our 2021 RX and our 2021 LC.

Old 09-21-21, 03:16 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't have enough brain juice to understand when wifi is on and off and how to stop it from acting completely on its own. There are times when it is ON after I start the car in the morning and there are times when it turns itself off after a brief run to Costo...
Old 09-24-21, 04:39 PM
cme4oil
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday I turned it on and went to the store, came out and it was off in the wifi settings so I had to turn it back on.

Today I did the same thing and it was on after coming out of the store. Seems like a potential bug to me.
Old 09-24-21, 04:45 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Yep. Same thing still is happening in my LC and my wife’s RX.
Old 01-04-22, 10:03 AM
AAJogger
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WiFi Hotspot ON setting turns off unexpectedly

Originally Posted by cme4oil
So the question I have is the AT&T WIFI hotspot in my 2021 RX 450h supposed to be OFF when I start the car? I have to manually go into setup and then WIFI and turn it ON anytime I want to use it. So it appears that when the car is turned off that it turns the WIFI configuration setting to OFF as well. What I want and thought I'd seen somewhere is for the WIFI to turn on when I start the car?
I ran into this as well. Like you, I didn't know how the Hotspot setting was supposed to work since I'd set it to "ON" which enabled WiFi for that trip and then discover that it had changed back to "OFF" on my next trip but not every time. Sometimes it would stay on for several trips then suddenly be changed back to "OFF" on a subsequent trip. We had purchased the AT & T unlimited GB option so we really wanted the WiFi Hotspot to stay "ON" so I investigated and found that it's a software bug turning off the WiFi Hotspot. My Ann Arbor dealer was able to reproduce it last summer and he sent all the relevant data to Lexus engineering in Texas where they were also able to reproduce the problem. Was supposed to get an update in 4-5 weeks but never did.

I've heard nothing since then so I just called Lexus to find out what's happening since my dealer doesn't seem interested in the problem any longer (says it's a "Lexus fix"). Anyway, I have a case number and am supposed to hear back within 24 hours. I'll update the thread when I have more info.
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 10:24 AM
mozartone
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that’s what’s happening to me. Explained the problem to my dealer, they reset the entire radio, including WiFi, (lost all my settings) and the problem returned.
‘My guess is that this is the way the software is designed. The Japanese manufacturers are fanatical about controlling ever aspect of the driving experience.
t18c97 (07-31-22)
Old 01-04-22, 11:24 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AAJogger
I ran into this as well. Like you, I didn't know how the Hotspot setting was supposed to work since I'd set it to "ON" which enabled WiFi for that trip and then discover that it had changed back to "OFF" on my next trip but not every time. Sometimes it would stay on for several trips then suddenly be changed back to "OFF" on a subsequent trip. We had purchased the AT & T unlimited GB option so we really wanted the WiFi Hotspot to stay "ON" so I investigated and found that it's a software bug turning off the WiFi Hotspot. My Ann Arbor dealer was able to reproduce it last summer and he sent all the relevant data to Lexus engineering in Texas where they were also able to reproduce the problem. Was supposed to get an update in 4-5 weeks but never did.

I've heard nothing since then so I just called Lexus to find out what's happening since my dealer doesn't seem interested in the problem any longer (says it's a "Lexus fix"). Anyway, I have a case number and am supposed to hear back within 24 hours. I'll update the thread when I have more info.
Thanks for looking into this. It’s much appreciated. Looking forward to your update. (It still happens repeatedly in our RX and our LC - and the problem is compounded by the absence of any WiFi signal-strength icon on the dashboard monitors, so one cannot tell at a glance whether the darn thing is on or off.)
AAJogger (01-05-22)
Old 01-05-22, 05:49 AM
AAJogger
7th Gear

There is a way to see if WiFI is ON, at least there is in my 2021 RX450h. I press Menu and select Audio and if WiFi is on, the WiFi symbol will appear in the upper tight hand corner of the screen. But given how often it has been reset to OFF, I usually just go straight to Setup - WiFi and set it ON if necessary, since you have to be at a full stop in order to change the setting.
Old 01-05-22, 06:30 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AAJogger
There is a way to see if WiFI is ON, at least there is in my 2021 RX450h. I press Menu and select Audio and if WiFi is on, the WiFi symbol will appear in the upper tight hand corner of the screen. But given how often it has been reset to OFF, I usually just go straight to Setup - WiFi and set it ON if necessary, since you have to be at a full stop in order to change the setting.
Right. I guess my point, not well stated, was that there should be an icon that appears on the screen by default.
AAJogger (01-05-22)
Old 01-07-22, 04:13 AM
AAJogger
7th Gear

Angry WiFi HotSpot Setting ON is being reset to OFF

I heard back from Lexus and the bug where you set the WiFI HotSpot Setting to ON and a software glitch can reset it to OFF when the car is restarted hasn't been fixed and it doesn't sound like they plan to do anything about it. The customer service representative told me "NO FIX NO UPDATE" so I take that to mean nothing has happened and nothing is planned so I'm left with having to "wind my way" to the WiFI Settings menu and checking to see if the WiFi Hotspot is ON every time I start the car if I want to make sure that it's on since you can't change the setting once the car is moving.
So much for the vaunted Lexus quality....
Going to curse Lexus every time I have to do this #FirstandLastLexus

Last edited by AAJogger; 01-08-22 at 05:08 AM.
joyful1nh (01-27-22)
Old 01-07-22, 05:34 AM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

That is truly shocking. A known issue, likely relatively easy to rectify with a software patch, and Lexus happily refuses to address it. But thanks for the good try.
AAJogger (01-07-22)
Old 01-09-22, 08:05 AM
bee144
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have this issue as well. It’s extremely disappointing. Especially since you have to come to a full stop to turn it on again.
joyful1nh (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 06:24 PM
joyful1nh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue - and now my touchpad is giving me issues and I can't even get to the WiFi setting when it's cold. I came here just to see if others were having the same experience.
Old 03-22-22, 02:06 PM
kumaruk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was happens to me as well.. Lexus customer serv rep told this is part of Lexus design and nothing can be done. Such a shame

Quick Reply: AT&T in car WIFI turns off