RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can I adjust Transmission Programming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21 | 06:05 AM
Haibert
Driver School Candidate

Default Can I adjust Transmission Programming?

Hi All.

2021 RX350 F Sport w/ handling.

Normal mode up shifts too fast.

Sport mode keeps the gear too high for cruising.

Is there any software/option to allow me to adjust the transmission programming? I want the up shifts about 10-15% higher in RPM in Normal mode.
Old 10-02-21 | 07:06 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Lexus service can do it, and since it's under warranty the shift times could be off.
Old 10-03-21 | 10:04 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haibert
I want the up shifts about 10-15% higher in RPM in Normal mode.
You can accomplish this by pulling the shifter left from the "D" position, and shifting manually. There is no custom programming (by the dealer or anyone) of the transmission. There is a TSB to upgrade the shifting firmware, but it will not accomplish what you are seeking.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
Cocal (10-03-21), coolbrazz (10-03-21)
Old 02-02-22 | 05:28 AM
Kimchiguy
Pit Crew

That seems like a lot of work that techs wouldn't want to touch.

Last edited by Kimchiguy; 02-02-22 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Please delete, wrong thread
Old 02-02-22 | 07:59 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

My understanding of the entire Drive Mode operation is that the EPA/CAFE ratings are based on
the settings that are defaulted when the vehicle is first started. This is why we do not get the
Sport setting even when that was selected when we shut off the car. This thread addresses the
possibility of changing the shift patterns that would likely impact the MPG results.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
jollick (02-02-22), Lexspeed (02-06-22)
Old 09-18-22 | 06:14 AM
alan2955
Driver

Hi All.

2021 RX350 F Sport w/ handling.

Normal mode up shifts too fast.

Sport mode keeps the gear too high for cruising.

Is there any software/option to allow me to adjust the transmission programming? I want the up shifts about 10-15% higher in RPM in Normal mode.
I have a 2022 with F sport appearance package and I am pretty aggravated with the transmission programming as well. I had a 2021 Highlander which seemed to have better sorted out shift points. Often when I turn a corner in this thing, it up shifts too quickly and bogs the engine down to about 1100 RPM, and then when you try to make it move, it promptly down shifts again so it can takeoff at a decent pace. Way too much gear shuffling going on. I can’t believe that reviewers don’t pick up on this flaw in the car. And as you said sport mode cures that issue, but tends to hold the RPMs too high. Seems odd that the Highlander with the same engine and transmission was programmed more appropriately. I doubt there’s any fix for it though. Honestly on the whole I’m having a little buyers remorse and wishing I just kept my Highlander Platinum. The Lexus is certainly a sportier looking car, nicer interior etc, but functionally the Highlander did a lot of things better.
Old 09-18-22 | 06:20 AM
Haibert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alan2955
I have a 2022 with F sport appearance package and I am pretty aggravated with the transmission programming as well. I had a 2021 Highlander which seemed to have better sorted out shift points. Often when I turn a corner in this thing, it up shifts too quickly and bogs the engine down to about 1100 RPM, and then when you try to make it move, it promptly down shifts again so it can takeoff at a decent pace. Way too much gear shuffling going on. I can’t believe that reviewers don’t pick up on this flaw in the car. And as you said sport mode cures that issue, but tends to hold the RPMs too high. Seems odd that the Highlander with the same engine and transmission was programmed more appropriately. I doubt there’s any fix for it though. Honestly on the whole I’m having a little buyers remorse and wishing I just kept my Highlander Platinum. The Lexus is certainly a sportier looking car, nicer interior etc, but functionally the Highlander did a lot of things better.
Yes correct. I'm surprised there's no programming tool we can use to re-program the shift points of a transmission. That blows my mind in this day and age. There has GOT to be a tool we can use to re-program this...
The following users liked this post:
alan2955 (09-18-22)
Old 09-19-22 | 08:25 AM
Tundra07
Rookie

Originally Posted by alan2955
I consider Normal Mode for cruising or putting around town. The Sport Mode is far more responsive than our previous Highlander. Normal Mode feels like driving in sand vs Sport. I regularly drive a very curvy highway in the Cascades and I can corner faster and with considerably less sway than the Highlander could. Shift points seem fine but if I’m cruising the straights, I switch back to Normal. I also use Sport if I need to accelerate from a stop quickly as Normal does seem to feel like it’s almost starting from 2nd gear or the car weighs 6k lbs if you stomp on it. So yeah, Normal could use some tweaks but I can’t imagine the engineers were thinking that the RX demographic wants adjustable shift points.
Every review I’ve read regarding the RX gives it high marks other than it’s a bit lackluster in the twisties and lacking straight up performance compared to its competitors.
We were originally looking to get a new Highlander but after driving the RX they had, it was a no brainer since we didn’t need the 3rd row and the RX is much quieter, tighter and handles better, especially when pushed (in ‘Sport’).
I’m curious if non F-Sport RX’s are permanently in ‘Normal Mode’? I wouldn’t like that.
Old 09-19-22 | 09:00 AM
Haibert
Driver School Candidate

Guys - of all the tech knowledge we have here, of all the tech tools we have at our disposal these days - you're telling me there's no way to hack into the car's CPU and tweak the shift points? We literally just need a 5-10% adjustment on 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear and maybe even 4th. It shifts down too damn quickly, then has to shift back up, then back down. That's madness. I don't care if you're an old grandma or a 21 year old driving an RX, it should perform better in Normal mode.

Sport mode is fine - however as stated, it does hold the gear too high at cruise speeds between say 30-60 mph.

There has got to be a way to tap into the CPU and adjust shift points!
Old 09-19-22 | 09:57 AM
Tundra07
Rookie

Guys - of all the tech knowledge we have here, of all the tech tools we have at our disposal these days - you're telling me there's no way to hack into the car's CPU and tweak the shift points? We literally just need a 5-10% adjustment on 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear and maybe even 4th. It shifts down too damn quickly, then has to shift back up, then back down. That's madness. I don't care if you're an old grandma or a 21 year old driving an RX, it should perform better in Normal mode.

Sport mode is fine - however as stated, it does hold the gear too high at cruise speeds between say 30-60 mph.

There has got to be a way to tap into the CPU and adjust shift points!
I’m pretty sure the Lexus (and correct) remedy for your complaint is ‘Uh, see those paddle thingys we put on the steering wheel? Use them to achieve the results you seek’.
When I’m in Sport and I want a higher gear, I pull the right hand paddle towards me. Done. The left paddle works the opposite way.
“Hack” and “tap into the CPU” are great ways to void your warranty at the least and see what Newtons 3rd Law have in store for you at worst.
It’s the best selling car in its segment/class. They can’t make it everything to everyone so they give those who want a more customized driving experience the option of “manual” mode. It’s super easy with paddles.
Toyota/Lexus are rarely the fastest, strongest, or best handling but they are the most reliable. Trade offs. Can’t get something for nothing.
Old 09-19-22 | 10:04 AM
Haibert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tundra07
I’m pretty sure the Lexus (and correct) remedy for your complaint is ‘Uh, see those paddle thingys we put on the steering wheel? Use them to achieve the results you seek’.
When I’m in Sport and I want a higher gear, I pull the right hand paddle towards me. Done. The left paddle works the opposite way.
“Hack” and “tap into the CPU” are great ways to void your warranty at the least and see what Newtons 3rd Law have in store for you at worst.
It’s the best selling car in its segment/class. They can’t make it everything to everyone so they give those who want a more customized driving experience the option of “manual” mode. It’s super easy with paddles.
Toyota/Lexus are rarely the fastest, strongest, or best handling but they are the most reliable. Trade offs. Can’t get something for nothing.
I agree and accept although paddle shifters (or any kind of manual shifting) is annoying to say the least when all you need is the transmission to hold gears for an extra second or two. I'll take Lexus quality and shut up for now.
The following users liked this post:
alan2955 (09-20-22)