RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can not turn steering wheel, car does not start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-22, 06:49 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can not turn steering wheel, car does not start

I installed the remote start on my 2017 RX350. The remote start works as expected for a few times and now would not start (both using the remote or push start button) and the steering wheel is locked. I need to turn the steering wheel in order to remove the two screws from the steering column (see images below) in order to remove the wiring hardness. Pressing the push start button 2 times did not help turning the steering wheel. Does any one know a way to unlock the steering wheel so that I can turn the steering wheel to left or right? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-23-22, 07:33 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Not sure about unlocking the steering wheel but I was able to get to the 7 Pin SLP harness/connector by extending the steering wheel telescopic all the way out and removing the lower dash trim panel. You can see it from underneath and need a flashlight and a long thin flat blade screwdriver to unlatch it but it is possible.
The following users liked this post:
westfw (02-26-22)
Old 02-23-22, 07:37 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Sometimes with the steering wheel turned too far in one direction, the column has too much pressure on the lock mechanism to unlock with the start button. You may have to ease the pressure of the wheel in one direction or another while you press the button the take the tension off the lock mechanism.

Randy B
The following users liked this post:
jollick (02-24-22)
Old 02-23-22, 08:27 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Not sure about unlocking the steering wheel but I was able to get to the 7 Pin SLP harness/connector by extending the steering wheel telescopic all the way out and removing the lower dash trim panel. You can see it from underneath and need a flashlight and a long thin flat blade screwdriver to unlatch it but it is possible.
How do you remove lower dash panel under steering wheel? Thanks!

Last edited by test_accou; 02-24-22 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-23-22, 08:28 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Randy B
Sometimes with the steering wheel turned too far in one direction, the column has too much pressure on the lock mechanism to unlock with the start button. You may have to ease the pressure of the wheel in one direction or another while you press the button the take the tension off the lock mechanism.

Randy B
I have tried that but it still does not work

Last edited by test_accou; 02-24-22 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-25-22, 01:42 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

I have to remove the steering wheel to gain access to those screws on the steering column.
Old 02-25-22, 02:07 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Try holding your key fob Lexus emblem facing the start button against the start button and pushing the start button at the same time, possible that the pcm didn’t see the key inside the vehicle at its 10 second after start check and locked you out. Maybe the fob directly against the button will work?
Old 02-25-22, 03:02 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Originally Posted by test_accou
How do you remove lower dash panel under steering wheel? Thanks!
That is the lower air bag. There are a few 10mm bolts that need to be removed first.. Be real careful with it and don't disconnect the Yellow connectors. Just gently lay it on the mat without any strain on the Yellow harness. I also removed the trim piece that goes along the center console up to the dash. It just pulls away from the console with 4 fasteners.
Is the steering column fully extended out? That might give you enough gap to see the 7 Pin SLP plug.
Unfortunately, the Wife has the RX with her or I would take a quick look to verify.
Old 02-25-22, 05:30 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

That is the lower air bag. There are a few 10mm bolts that need to be removed first.. Be real careful with it and don't disconnect the Yellow connectors. Just gently lay it on the mat without any strain on the Yellow harness. I also removed the trim piece that goes along the center console up to the dash. It just pulls away from the console with 4 fasteners.
Is the steering column fully extended out? That might give you enough gap to see the 7 Pin SLP plug.
Unfortunately, the Wife has the RX with her or I would take a quick look to verify.
Thanks for the information! I have removed the steering wheel and remove the remote start and put back the OEM connection but the car still won't start

Last edited by test_accou; 02-26-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-25-22, 05:32 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by frankymenz
Try holding your key fob Lexus emblem facing the start button against the start button and pushing the start button at the same time, possible that the pcm didn’t see the key inside the vehicle at its 10 second after start check and locked you out. Maybe the fob directly against the button will work?
I just tried that and it did not work. Not sure what fuses I need to check...
Old 02-26-22, 02:06 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Hopefully one of the main connectors came apart and you can reinsert the connector and all is well. There is a very informative video on smart keys by the car care nut, he goes into detail about how gen 3 and 4 keys work, ours are included in that. He talked about a comms wire for the smart key system that if it is spliced or broken it could lock you out of the vehicle even with a good working key. Hopefully it winds up being a bad splice or unplugged main connector man, that sucks it went like that! I installed a genuine Lexus RES on my 2014 Es350, no problems, I see many CL members who swear by the 12volt remote star systems and few others, hope you get up and running soon. Maybe reach out to the tech troubleshooting department of the remote start company?
Frank
Old 02-26-22, 02:41 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by frankymenz
Hopefully one of the main connectors came apart and you can reinsert the connector and all is well. There is a very informative video on smart keys by the car care nut, he goes into detail about how gen 3 and 4 keys work, ours are included in that. He talked about a comms wire for the smart key system that if it is spliced or broken it could lock you out of the vehicle even with a good working key. Hopefully it winds up being a bad splice or unplugged main connector man, that sucks it went like that! I installed a genuine Lexus RES on my 2014 Es350, no problems, I see many CL members who swear by the 12volt remote star systems and few others, hope you get up and running soon. Maybe reach out to the tech troubleshooting department of the remote start company?
Frank
Hi Frank,
I already reached out to the remote start tech support but he offered no help
What you said is make more sense to me. I installed the remote start by connecting remote start wiring hardness to two connectors, 1- Steering Lock Connector and 2- Main body ECU.

I suspect that the Sterling Lock Connector (location #1) may be bad. It is on the right side of the steering column, the Steering column going in and out may have pushed/stretched the wire/connector. Also the steering wheel is locked slightly to the right and I can not unlock it. How do I verify/test each wire from the Steering Lock Connector/wiring hardness?

Last edited by test_accou; 02-26-22 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-26-22, 03:14 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

If you remove the Fortin T-Harness/EVO-One unit and bring the RX back to original condition does everything work OK?

If yes, then the Lexus harness and connector is OK and the issue is in the T-Harness.

Look for "pushed pins" and bent pins in the connectors. Pushed pins are when the wire backs out of the connector. Each pin has a retainer that secures it into the connector so it makes good contact. Pushed pins are sometimes difficult to see but if you gently pull on each wire at the connector you will see and feel it.
Old 02-26-22, 03:31 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

If you remove the Fortin T-Harness/EVO-One unit and bring the RX back to original condition does everything work OK?

If yes, then the Lexus harness and connector is OK and the issue is in the T-Harness.

Look for "pushed pins" and bent pins in the connectors. Pushed pins are when the wire backs out of the connector. Each pin has a retainer that secures it into the connector so it makes good contact. Pushed pins are sometimes difficult to see but if you gently pull on each wire at the connector you will see and feel it.
Yes I have the RX wiring back to original but the car still won't start. The connector is a little bit hard to reach so inspecting the wire is a challenge
Old 02-26-22, 03:53 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Check the Lexus 7 Pin harness for any visible wire damage. I think you can drop it down a bit to check. Strange that that harness would have an issue, Lexus has it routed/secured pretty well. Did you try a battery disconnect reset on the entire RX? Maybe that will correct the issue.

Quick Reply: Can not turn steering wheel, car does not start