RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Upgrading amplifier and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 04:43 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I tend to go with a higher sensitivity dB rating when choosing aftermarket speakers. Infinity reference is one of them.

I am looking just to replace the dash speakers only. Currently looking at the Rockford Fosgate and the Infinity. Not sure which to get.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 06-14-23 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DaSyce (06-13-23)
Old 06-12-23, 06:48 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I tend to go with a higher sensitivity dB rating when choosing aftermarket speakers. Infinity reference is only of them.

I am looking just to replace the dash speakers only. Currently looking at the Rockford Fosgate and the Infinity. Not sure which to get.
Check out this video and the comments section, there a a bunch of bunch of other videos reviewing speakers,

I hear great things about Alpine type-s too, but their 4" has a big magnet, not sure if it'll fit. I think their 6x9 and 6.75 are perfect for the doors though if you have a subwoofer ( their frequency response leads me to believe they have bass filter built it)

GS4_Fiend (06-14-23)
Old 06-12-23, 07:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

I'm running Kicker KS series 3.5" and 6.5" in one of my cars they are a damn good speaker. Slightly sharp so depending on your amplifier may or may not be to your liking. Kicker CS series is just okay I'd avoid it.
Old 06-13-23, 05:35 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost31711
I really don't think the stock speakers can handle any more power, especially the rear door speakers. That's my first source of distortion at the moment, 2nd is my door rattle ( but that's taking it beyond a comfortable listening volume). also my dash speakers are not the same as the vehicles that are equiped with Navi.

If the dash speakers are getting 20 watts that would be fantastic. Because that means they are only 3-6db from their full potential depending on what speakers you get. It takes twice the power to achieve 3db, but it takes 10db for sound to be perceived "twice as loud". To gain 9db you have to go from 20watts to 160watts

I think changing the dash speakers is the best way to start, especially given how complicated things can get when just the front stage requires 5 channels

But then again a lot of aftermarket speakers sound like ****, so.... Choose wisely.
I have a navigation equipped vehicle, I’m feeding the stock rear speakers 65w. I’m also fully active, using rear speakers to subtly blend in, limiting my frequency bandwidth to 300hz-3500hz. I’m chasing sound quality and rear fill speakers need to be attenuated as to keep the sound stage in-front of me.
ghost31711 (06-13-23)
Old 06-13-23, 08:20 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I have a navigation equipped vehicle, I’m feeding the stock rear speakers 65w. I’m also fully active, using rear speakers to subtly blend in, limiting my frequency bandwidth to 300hz-3500hz. I’m chasing sound quality and rear fill speakers need to be attenuated as to keep the sound stage in-front of me.
Very interesting, yeah taking away anything below 300hrz would probably stop my rear speaker from bottoming out. But I have a feeling that might end up costing me more than just switching out the rear components Please share your photos and instructions how you wired everything up, 👍
Old 08-06-23, 07:35 AM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any reco’s on the pry tools used for the dash speakers. Was going to do this project today but I think the set I have has too much flex in them so I couldn’t pry up the covers. Trying to avoid metal like a flat head in case of scratches. Thanks
Old 08-06-23, 12:13 PM
NotAFiat
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Removing Dash Speaker Covers

Originally Posted by mrcheap
Any reco’s on the pry tools used for the dash speakers. Was going to do this project today but I think the set I have has too much flex in them so I couldn’t pry up the covers. Trying to avoid metal like a flat head in case of scratches. Thanks
I replaced all three dash speakers for a much improved sound. I used a short flat head screw driver. To protect the dash I used masking tape to protect the surrounding surface. All came off with a mark.

Old 08-06-23, 04:40 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAFiat
I replaced all three dash speakers for a much improved sound. I used a short flat head screw driver. To protect the dash I used masking tape to protect the surrounding surface. All came off with a mark.
Did you mean "without a mark"?
Old 08-06-23, 05:18 PM
NotAFiat
Driver

Default Correction

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Did you mean "without a mark"?
Duh! Meant to say "without a mark".
ravenuer (08-06-23)
Old 08-10-23, 06:39 AM
G6612
Rookie

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

NotAFiat,
I am looking at doing your exact upgrade with the Infinity speakers, quick questions. Did you have to trim the ring as done above? and are you sure on the part number for the Metra 72-8019 not able to find on Amazon. I sent you a PM as well, I would appreciate your help! Did you mean Metra 72-8109

Last edited by G6612; 08-10-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-13-23, 07:47 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by G6612
NotAFiat,
I am looking at doing your exact upgrade with the Infinity speakers, quick questions. Did you have to trim the ring as done above? and are you sure on the part number for the Metra 72-8019 not able to find on Amazon. I sent you a PM as well, I would appreciate your help! Did you mean Metra 72-8109
Hi, I've recently discovered that the base 9 speaker system have different dash grills than the 12 speaker system. So my experience with the grill touching the speaker could be unique. The underside of the 12 speaker grills are curved, but they might still be touching depending on your speakers

Also I've went ahead and replaced the rear speakers for anyone who cares. I no longer have that distortion coming out from my left rear door but overall it was not as good an upgrade as the front 6x9 in terms of value. Does sound better an more cohesive, the bass increased because it sounsd like the same bass now, but for $210.... If I didn't enjoy installing it like a kid playing with Lego... If I had to pay someone to do it and my rear speaker wasn't crapping out I'd probably feel it wasn't worth it.

My fader setting is back to dead center, and bass setting is at +2.

Once again, kicker provided an adapter that worked.

For anyone who ends up buying the same components as me for the rear door, do not go any lower than middle setting for tweeter on the crossover, with the door panel off and tweeter exposed it was bright at highest setting, but with door panel on and tweeter slightly hidden at factory location the middle setting almost sounds not bright enough depending on listening position. But it's ok, not to the point where I must adjust it so it'll stay this way to protect my kids' ears.

Last edited by ghost31711; 08-13-23 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-18-23, 11:17 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Sigh..... Just couldn't leave good enough alone....

​​​​​
Old 08-19-23, 07:30 AM
NotAFiat
Driver

Wow. You've got a commitment to high quality audio!
Old 08-19-23, 04:27 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NotAFiat
Wow. You've got a commitment to high quality audio!
Kicker quality really goes up a class when you don't have to see their ridiculous designs... I don't think I'd be able to live with it if I had to see their ugly subs everytime I open the tailgate.

​​​​​​They were never "pretty" or classy, or whatever, but in the late 90s they were able to make this, ( i had a pair of 12 and they hit so hard... it was the tight hard bass that pass through you and you can can feel the pressure

and then they took a really wrong turn in design and became even more successful as a company and mainstream....

Anyways, this new box they designed is pretty cool, sounds good, takes up little room, but strong enough for a 200+ lb guy to stand on it so I don't mind stacking heavy loads on top of it

Been in my car for A couple of days and hasn't shifted a bit cas it has rubber attachment to keep it from sliding. My is the TRTP12,

Last edited by ghost31711; 08-21-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-23-24, 07:32 PM
LexusMKE
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't kill me - 2021 RX350 Speaker Upgrade Advice

Hey guys, I did some searching for the answer but my head is kind of spinning, so I appreciate your help/guidance.

Bought a 2021 RX350 from my father whose lease was ending - mistakenly, should have driven it before I bought it. Great car. Not-so-great sound system. It stinks because I "upgraded" from a 2015 Nissan Murano SL w/ tech package - Bose system, front camera, etc, etc. I was shocked that some of the stuff I had in 2015 were not standard on the 2021 RX350; but not here to solve all of that

Trying to weigh my options for upgrades. I'm probably not handy enough to replace them on my own - so I guess just looking for recommendations. What questions can I answer that will help you point me in the right direction?

Quick Reply: Upgrading amplifier and speakers