RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Power Back Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22 | 12:31 PM
GyniusLeve
Driver School Candidate

Default Power Back Door Issues

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help me out. 2017 RX 350... The power back door only lifts up a couple inches, then stops. Key fob, the button on the side of the steering wheel... Same result. I checked and then reset the settings in the system, but still no change. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-22 | 01:44 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

My first thought would be for you to double check the rear door setting procedure to ensure you didn't make an error. Next check the door fuse to ensure that's good. If that doesn't work, then I'd "reboot" the system by unstrapping the negative battery cable for 5 minutes or so. That would be my approach. Let us know what you do and what worked.
The following users liked this post:
westfw (03-27-22)
Old 03-26-22 | 01:55 PM
GyniusLeve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
My first thought would be for you to double check the rear door setting procedure to ensure you didn't make an error. Next check the door fuse to ensure that's good. If that doesn't work, then I'd "reboot" the system by unstrapping the negative battery cable for 5 minutes or so. That would be my approach. Let us know what you do and what worked.
I did go back and double check the setting procedure; I'll check the other two options in the morning and see if they help. Thank you for the suggestions. 😁
Old 03-26-22 | 02:11 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Are you able to manually push the hatch all the way up, that might reset the system.
ravenuer (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22 | 02:44 PM
GyniusLeve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nail34
Are you able to manually push the hatch all the way up, that might reset the system.
Can you do that without damaging anything? I'll give it a shot and see.
Old 03-26-22 | 04:13 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by GyniusLeve
Can you do that without damaging anything? I'll give it a shot and see.
You won't damage anything. Give it a try.
Old 03-27-22 | 06:40 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GyniusLeve
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help me out. 2017 RX 350... The power back door only lifts up a couple inches, then stops. Key fob, the button on the side of the steering wheel... Same result. I checked and then reset the settings in the system, but still no change. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Double check Settings/Vehicle/Vehicle Customization/Other Vehicle Settings/Power Back Door Opening Adjust. 5 is fully opened.
Old 03-27-22 | 08:32 AM
GyniusLeve
Driver School Candidate

So here's where I'm at now:

I took off the negative battery post and let it sit for about fifteen minutes... Still same result.
My settings are set at five for height... Reset and tried at other numbers, still same result.

Edit: With a combination of lifting manually and pressing the button on the outside, I was able to get the door open. I did hear a grinding noise as the door was coming back down, but it did go up and down without incident the next couple times I tried it.

Last edited by GyniusLeve; 03-27-22 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-27-22 | 09:03 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Set the height on 5 and you can customize the height, it's very simple. Physically put the door at the height you want it to open and then set it there with the button (see the manual). To wipe out your customized setting just manually push the door all the way up. That resets the system.
Old 03-27-22 | 09:13 AM
GyniusLeve
Driver School Candidate

Set the height on 5 and you can customize the height, it's very simple. Physically put the door at the height you want it to open and then set it there with the button (see the manual). To wipe out your customized setting just manually push the door all the way up. That resets the system.
Thanks a lot for that info, didn't know that. Also many many thanks to everyone for the help. 😁
ravenuer (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22 | 11:34 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

I couldn’t find this in the manual, can you please elaborate on which button you use to set the height at a specific custom opening?
Old 03-27-22 | 12:49 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Try this
​​​​​​https://www.torquenews.com/1083/how-...ht%20for%20you.
or this

Last edited by jimbosr1; 03-27-22 at 12:57 PM.
msnow (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22 | 01:14 PM
phuoctrani
Driver School Candidate

You watch this video @8 minute of video.
hope this can help.
msnow (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22 | 08:55 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
This is the standard technique however it's difficult to stop the hatch "exactly" where you want it, so I manually set the hatch and the push the button and get the 3 beeps. As an example, if I did not adjust the opening of my hatch it would hit a cross beam, so I put the hatch at a point where it was just under the beam and set it there. I wanted to have the max opening so I wouldn't hit my head when loading or unloading items in the rear area. I have a '17 so there might have been a change in the system in the newer models.
Old 03-28-22 | 06:36 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

This is the standard technique however it's difficult to stop the hatch "exactly" where you want it, so I manually set the hatch and the push the button and get the 3 beeps. As an example, if I did not adjust the opening of my hatch it would hit a cross beam, so I put the hatch at a point where it was just under the beam and set it there. I wanted to have the max opening so I wouldn't hit my head when loading or unloading items in the rear area. I have a '17 so there might have been a change in the system in the newer models.
Yes, I prefer the precision of your manual method too and it seems to work on my 2022.

Quick Reply: Power Back Door Issues