RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Playing music from USB stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 04:30 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Playing music from USB stick

I have no problem playing the music saved to my flash drive, however, the "browse" function doesn't work at all! When I click "browse" and go to "folder" or "artist" it simply plays the first recording in the first folder or the first artist, alphabetically, on the drive. When I plug in the same flash drive in my '15 GS, the "browse" functions perfectly on all categories (artist, folder, genre, etc.) and I can actually see all the folders and artists listed. Is this normal?
The following users liked this post:
westfw (03-30-22)
Old 03-30-22, 12:31 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

My experience (on my 2018) is -- the USB playing software is kind of flaky. My first issue was audio quality problems. Of the supported file formats, I got the best results with .wma, after considerable experimentation. I organized my music in 5 folders of 255 files or less. On one folder, even when set to random play, it will play the same song over and over. If I choose another file in that folder, as soon as the selected song is finished, it starts the one it likes best and never leaves. I don't use it a lot, since I drive mostly short trips and tend to prefer the radio.
Old 03-31-22, 08:34 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimimi
I have no problem playing the music saved to my flash drive, however, the "browse" function doesn't work at all! When I click "browse" and go to "folder" or "artist" it simply plays the first recording in the first folder or the first artist, alphabetically, on the drive. When I plug in the same flash drive in my '15 GS, the "browse" functions perfectly on all categories (artist, folder, genre, etc.) and I can actually see all the folders and artists listed. Is this normal?
If this is the first time you have plugged the flash drive into the car, it will take a while for the system to index/refresh the list of folders and files. Depending on the number of files and folders, you may need to drive around for 15-30min before it finishes re-indexing. After that, the Browse option should show "all" the folders it can see, even after restart/replugging in.

Is this the same flash drive you have been using in your GS? Would explain why they show up there almost right away.
Old 03-31-22, 10:35 AM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

I switched the USB's back and forth playing the one normally in each car in the other car and vice versa; didn't seem to matter.
Old 04-19-22, 06:45 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Default Problem with Media

I took my car to the dealer to complain that I could not use the "browse" function when playing music via the USB. Turns out that trying to use Bluetooth browse has the same issue. After investigating further, the "browse" works fine as long as the car is not moving! Once I start driving, the "browse" function once again ceases to work. The dealer says that Lexus has a dealer-delivered update that will fix several media, nav, audio, etc. issues but has no idea when that might come out. Dealer suggested also that this might be a safety issue! How could it be more safe to spend endless time paging through folders and songs line-by-line trying to find what you want to listen to it would be to simply choose what you want from a list?
The following users liked this post:
RCA350 (04-25-22)
Old 04-22-22, 04:43 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Try using the voice command to play a specific song. Works for me.
Old 04-23-22, 10:05 AM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Thanks! Many times, however, I'd just like to scroll through my folders to see what appeals to me at the moment. But, alas, Lexus has determined that that is unsafe behavior and, thus, not allowed - at least not in '21 models.
Old 04-23-22, 05:51 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I do agree with Lexus in this case. Distracted driving Kills.
Old 04-24-22, 06:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimimi
I took my car to the dealer to complain that I could not use the "browse" function when playing music via the USB. Turns out that trying to use Bluetooth browse has the same issue. After investigating further, the "browse" works fine as long as the car is not moving! Once I start driving, the "browse" function once again ceases to work. The dealer says that Lexus has a dealer-delivered update that will fix several media, nav, audio, etc. issues but has no idea when that might come out. Dealer suggested also that this might be a safety issue! How could it be more safe to spend endless time paging through folders and songs line-by-line trying to find what you want to listen to it would be to simply choose what you want from a list?
Browse is disabled while driving my 19 ES as well. Total lawyer intervention😎
Old 04-25-22, 12:14 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

I guess I should just consider myself fortunate that I can still browse and play in my '15 GS!
Old 04-26-22, 11:22 AM
Dacrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, no matter if we think it's dangerous in the moment or not, the stats don't lie.
Old 09-09-22, 07:15 PM
markn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio ?

Wife has a 2022 RX350 with standard radio. The manual lacks much in how if possible to play music from a jump drive (USB). I plugged a MP3 / Wav formatted music jump drive into the USB below the radio on the lower dash, Nothing. Plugged it into the USB in the console and says not recognizable.

My question is, is it possible to play music through the radio using a USB jump drive?
Old 09-10-22, 07:20 AM
Marty2020
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi markn,
Yes, you can play music files from a USB jump drive but, alas, there are some caveats. First, the USB drive can only be plugged into the USB jacks in the console since the ones under the radio are only for charging USB connected devices. Second (here's where it gets ugly), the USB drive must be formatted as a FAT32 drive and, finally, song files within an album will be played in alphabetical order, not in their order within the album (thanks Toyota). This last item is particularly vexing if you are listening to a broadway show album. Once you learn to live with all of this it does work, I have over 6,500 songs in FLAC format on a single 128GB USB drive. Good luck with all of this............
Old 09-10-22, 02:37 PM
markn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First, whoever moved my thread into this one, Thank You! This will help knowing some of the other inconsistencies when trying to use the browse feature.

Marty 2020, thanks for the Fat32 advice. My jump drive is NTFS format (works in Ram / Mopar vehicles) and obviously the problem.
Old 09-11-22, 05:37 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Browse works for me all the time when moving or parked.. I only use the flash drive for Audio Books. Books are small folders with minimum files, so the USB works well, and I have no issues of it playing each folder just fine. For music I use an old Apple IPOD Classic, because it organizes music better. For example, I don't worry about the silly folder restraints for my 8000 songs. I can use the Itunes capabilities from either the joy stick or audio commands.