RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Installing Factory HUD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 08:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Installing Factory HUD

Has anyone installed a factory HUD (Heads Up Display) in their RX that didn’t come with it? The wiring is supposed to already be there, but I haven’t verified that yet. Is there anything else that needs to be changed other than the buttons on the left of the steering wheel?
Old 07-20-22, 10:06 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You may need a new windshield or you will get ghosting
Old 07-20-22, 10:25 AM
Marty2020
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi gadgetman1 - alas, I suspect that the only practical way to do this is to trade in your RX on one that already has it. larrytrk is right, you will need a new windshield, maybe a new top of the dashboard, lots of parts and probably a software update for the vehicle. As I said, time to trade if you really want this and yes, I have a HUD in my 2020 RX and yes, it is cool. The question is, how much is it worth to you?
Old 07-20-22, 05:37 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty2020
Hi gadgetman1 - alas, I suspect that the only practical way to do this is to trade in your RX on one that already has it. larrytrk is right, you will need a new windshield, maybe a new top of the dashboard, lots of parts and probably a software update for the vehicle. As I said, time to trade if you really want this and yes, I have a HUD in my 2020 RX and yes, it is cool. The question is, how much is it worth to you?
What’s different with the windshield? My car has very low miles & very little of the worthless so-called safety gear. I don’t want emergency braking, blah, blah, blah. My infotainment system needs an update for the navigation, so that’s not a problem. There is no way in hell I would ever get a good deal on almost any new car right now. My local Toyota lot is almost completely bare & so is Ford, Honda & Nissan. Even the Lexus deal has barely any loaner cars. I’m planning on keeping my 2016. If I do decide to get something else, it might be a nice used or vintage vehicle & fix it up to better than new condition. Thanks for the heads up on the heads up
Old 07-21-22, 04:13 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My remedy

Old 07-21-22, 08:23 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
What’s different with the windshield? My car has very low miles & very little of the worthless so-called safety gear. I don’t want emergency braking, blah, blah, blah. My infotainment system needs an update for the navigation, so that’s not a problem. There is no way in hell I would ever get a good deal on almost any new car right now. My local Toyota lot is almost completely bare & so is Ford, Honda & Nissan. Even the Lexus deal has barely any loaner cars. I’m planning on keeping my 2016. If I do decide to get something else, it might be a nice used or vintage vehicle & fix it up to better than new condition. Thanks for the heads up on the heads up
A quick check on OEM Lexus parts providers show at least 5 different versions/part #s of the windshields for our RX, depending on what options you have, including the pre-collision cameras and HUD.

Generally, for HUDs, you need a different coating on the glass where the images are projected, so they can be reflected back to your eyes rather than being projected *out* the window. There are apparently 3rd party film-type stickers that you can put on to mimic that effect, but that probably looks super tacky.

As for the HUD itself, I absolutely love mine and can't see myself ever buying a car (or at least a daily driver) that does not have one.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (07-21-22)
Old 07-21-22, 01:09 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

My understanding is that most HUDS will project onto a standard windshield and it will be readable, but maybe not with the optics of the HUD windshield. There has to be good reason they make a special windshield.

here are some good testimonials….

https://www.smokinvette.com/threads/...regular.35141/
Old 07-21-22, 03:20 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

My friend put a cheap windshield in his hud optioned corvette and noticed no difference.
Old 07-21-22, 06:53 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

My 2020 RX has HUD on the windshield text. See below.

TriC (07-23-22)
Old 07-22-22, 04:56 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I began my challenging search for a new 2022 in late 2021. HUD was one of my desired options. This was a frustrating 'Covid World' experience to say the least. The Lexus dealership stated that the factory wasn't taking orders, so you got what the dealership had ordered. Like it or go home. Further they presold all or nearly all before they actually shipped the vehicle! I waited 3 months to finally get the 2022 RX that was optioned as close to what i wanted. But, no HUD; darn it! 5 months into my ownership and i can say that I don't really miss it or think about it.

Then I drive my Vette with a HUD and am pissed that i don't have the really nice verion that the newer Lexus' have.

Hats off to those that try to install HUD on their RX, but Im not going down that road.

TechNut (07-22-22)
Old 07-23-22, 03:09 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
I began my challenging search for a new 2022 in late 2021. HUD was one of my desired options. This was a frustrating 'Covid World' experience to say the least. The Lexus dealership stated that the factory wasn't taking orders, so you got what the dealership had ordered. Like it or go home. Further they presold all or nearly all before they actually shipped the vehicle! I waited 3 months to finally get the 2022 RX that was optioned as close to what i wanted. But, no HUD; darn it! 5 months into my ownership and i can say that I don't really miss it or think about it.

Then I drive my Vette with a HUD and am pissed that i don't have the really nice verion that the newer Lexus' have.

Hats off to those that try to install HUD on their RX, but Im not going down that road.
Lexus has never liked configuring spec order cars. I was in the same position. The RX is my wife’s and every time I get in it I miss the HUD. I also owned several Corvettes with it. Since then it’s been a must have for me.
Old 07-24-22, 07:16 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
I began my challenging search for a new 2022 in late 2021. HUD was one of my desired options. This was a frustrating 'Covid World' experience to say the least. The Lexus dealership stated that the factory wasn't taking orders, so you got what the dealership had ordered. Like it or go home. Further they presold all or nearly all before they actually shipped the vehicle! I waited 3 months to finally get the 2022 RX that was optioned as close to what i wanted. But, no HUD; darn it! 5 months into my ownership and i can say that I don't really miss it or think about it..
Things weren't much different pre-Covid. I did my search in March/April 2020, before the world went mad. Tons of RXs on lots, and a HUD was on my nice-to-have list. The practical reality, though, was that the vehicles with HUDs were either F Sports or also had the over-priced luxury package, neither of which I wanted. I bought in April 2020 and haven't thought about the HUD since.
Old 07-26-22, 09:42 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Buy a Canadian Spec Executive or F sport 3 and they come with HUD, whether you want it or not.