RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

TPMS Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 08:51 PM
lenbabin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS Replacements

I bought a set of alloy rims and winter tires a while back which I fitted up with Toyota TPMS. I recently went to have them installed, and the garage told me that the TPMS sensors were dead. The want $465 to dismount, install new generic TPMS, install rebalance, and reconnect TPMS. I think this is too much. Anyone had this experience? Any suggestions on a good brand of TPMS sensors I could purchase (do not read: cheap) and where I could do better on the price. Many thanks.

Len
Old 11-16-22, 08:19 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Are all 4 sensors all of a sudden dead?????

OEM TPMS is less than $60 each. If batteries are dead, which should last at least 10 years, then they need to be replaced.
Old 11-16-22, 08:59 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Do you know someone with a TPMS reader? Have them checked out.
Old 11-17-22, 03:28 PM
lenbabin
Rookie

Well, here is the story. The $465 was from the local garage (not a Lexus dealer) where I get my car serviced. The tires and rims are from my previous Lexus so they are 10 years old. So, I shopped it around and got prices of $430 and $413. Then went to a local tire dealer called Kaltire who seemed to know the biz. They said the sensors are $62 each. All we do to replace them is break the bead on one side, do the job and reinflate. No balancing needed. We make sure the new sensors reconnect and you`re good to go - $318 all in. I guess it pays to shop around.

Only reservation is that they are not Toyota sensors, which run about $90 here. But, they are Schrader, a name which I associate with quality and longevity. I also understand from watching the Car Care Nut Channel -
that the new ones will automagically connect to the car - no extra stuff needed. I will let you know after Nov 30 when I am due to have them installed.
Old 11-17-22, 03:57 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 485 Likes on 367 Posts

Len.....good luck, we'll be waiting!
Old 11-17-22, 04:22 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by lenbabin
Well, here is the story. The $465 was from the local garage (not a Lexus dealer) where I get my car serviced. The tires and rims are from my previous Lexus so they are 10 years old. So, I shopped it around and got prices of $430 and $413. Then went to a local tire dealer called Kaltire who seemed to know the biz. They said the sensors are $62 each. All we do to replace them is break the bead on one side, do the job and reinflate. No balancing needed. We make sure the new sensors reconnect and you`re good to go - $318 all in. I guess it pays to shop around.

Only reservation is that they are not Toyota sensors, which run about $90 here. But, they are Schrader, a name which I associate with quality and longevity. I also understand from watching the Car Care Nut Channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJJabCQaqA that the new ones will automagically connect to the car - no extra stuff needed. I will let you know after Nov 30 when I am due to have them installed.
New model cars. That means 2023 RX and up and 2022 NX. I don't think you can program sensors to RX4 from the MID. You need TPMS tool.

Also, the OEM sensors are $60. Why would you go aftermarket for same price?
Old 11-17-22, 05:55 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

They are all made by the same company in China. $25 each max.
Old 11-18-22, 07:11 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by jcg0324
They are all made by the same company in China. $25 each max.
I would need proof of that before deciding.
Old 11-18-22, 09:49 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

I change my winter tires myself and I grew tired to reprogram new codes each time, I invested into a set of clonable TPMS (and tool).

I copied my summer wheels codes set into the new programable TPMS' and go into the dash menues to reset the TPMS' . I roll a little while and the other set positions and calibration is done, no change of codes (Don't do this until the summer set is out of the car if you have a mechanic doing the tire change).

Costco won't install others than their own (Dill) which are not clonable (and you have to pay them each season to reprogram the codes if you go with them to change the tires), so I had to have my local garage to install them with my winter mags and new tires.

I did the same for my daughter's car (Mazda 3), changing all the tires in the fall is a breeze.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (11-18-22)
Old 11-19-22, 10:22 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I change my winter tires myself and I grew tired to reprogram new codes each time, I invested into a set of clonable TPMS (and tool).

I copied my summer wheels codes set into the new programable TPMS' and go into the dash menues to reset the TPMS' . I roll a little while and the other set positions and calibration is done, no change of codes (Don't do this until the summer set is out of the car if you have a mechanic doing the tire change).

Costco won't install others than their own (Dill) which are not clonable (and you have to pay them each season to reprogram the codes if you go with them to change the tires), so I had to have my local garage to install them with my winter mags and new tires.

I did the same for my daughter's car (Mazda 3), changing all the tires in the fall is a breeze.
Costco does not have a fee to program. It is part of the service. Also, some of the newer generations of sensors are made to be cloned, but it’s just easier to reprogram the system
Old 11-20-22, 12:58 PM
lenbabin
Rookie

Default OEM vs After-Market

I did not go Lexus as I believe they are more expensive (I haven't checked but do you know of anything Lexus that is less expensive?). Also, I believe there are probably just a few manufacturers of these things so it doesn't matter a lot whether there is a Lexus sticker on it. Lastly, I could go to Lexus and have it all done for $800 instead of $300. Chose not to do that, and by taking the garage's sensors, there will be no finger-pointing. I'll let you know.

Len

Old 11-21-22, 05:07 AM
fossil
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of nice set of aftermarket wheels for my RX350. I purchased Lexus TPMS sensors upon recommendation from my mechanic to insure they would perform correctly. Ironically, they didn't work. No one, including Lexus, could program them. Lexus gave up and refunded me. I haven't decided whether to try another brand or give Lexus another chance. It's beyond discouraging that Lexus could not make their own brand of TPMS sensors work.
Old 11-21-22, 07:11 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by fossil
I bought a nice set of aftermarket wheels for my RX350. I purchased Lexus TPMS sensors upon recommendation from my mechanic to insure they would perform correctly. Ironically, they didn't work. No one, including Lexus, could program them. Lexus gave up and refunded me. I haven't decided whether to try another brand or give Lexus another chance. It's beyond discouraging that Lexus could not make their own brand of TPMS sensors work.
Sounds to me like a pretty weak dealer that can't figure out how to program their own parts.
Old 11-21-22, 07:39 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexo98
Costco does not have a fee to program. It is part of the service. Also, some of the newer generations of sensors are made to be cloned, but it’s just easier to reprogram the system
I paid 12$ per wheel in Canada.

And Lexus charged 110$ for all the wheels the first time I went with them at the same time as the first maintenance service.
Old 11-21-22, 07:44 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Originally Posted by fossil
I bought a nice set of aftermarket wheels for my RX350. I purchased Lexus TPMS sensors upon recommendation from my mechanic to insure they would perform correctly. Ironically, they didn't work. No one, including Lexus, could program them. Lexus gave up and refunded me. I haven't decided whether to try another brand or give Lexus another chance. It's beyond discouraging that Lexus could not make their own brand of TPMS sensors work.
Sounds to me like a pretty weak dealer that can't figure out how to program their own parts.
That happened to me at first for my winter tires when I just had bought mine, and what they realized is that the parts guy gave them a 3Gen TMPS, when they switched to the proper one it worked, But of course they had lost time to remove the tires and re-balance the wheels because of the parts guy mistake.

Quick Reply: TPMS Replacements