RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport accelerating on its own while foot on brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23 | 05:32 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

I have had this on my 2016 F sport since day 1.

Took it to dealer several times and was told it's characteristic of the vehicle. They blame it on AC kicking in and causing the engine RPM to jump. Ac works even in winter if it senses humidity inside the car.

What i do to ensure it doesn't creep is I just threw hold function Everytime i drive. That holds the RPM down and prevents the creeping.
Old 01-16-23 | 06:59 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I have had this on my 2016 F sport since day 1.

Took it to dealer several times and was told it's characteristic of the vehicle. They blame it on AC kicking in and causing the engine RPM to jump. Ac works even in winter if it senses humidity inside the car.

What i do to ensure it doesn't creep is I just threw hold function Everytime i drive. That holds the RPM down and prevents the creeping.
The AC will not come on automatically if you have it shut off. This is page 500 in my manual (2017 RX 350 base). I keep it shut off in the winter here in Philadelphia. I turn it on once a month for 10 minutes to circulate the system oil. You shouldn't have to use the "HOLD" braking feature to keep the car from slamming into the car in front of you. The car should operate and work safely. The dealer is blowing smoke in your face.
Old 01-18-23 | 07:49 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Just a random guess.

I am assuming the idle was high and while you had reached to get the ticket, your foot was not 100% firm on the brake pedal?

Also, was your right foot away from the gas pedal?

Yes my foot was away from the gas pedal and on the brake. My foot was no where near the gas at all. I am pretty sure my foot was all the way down on the brake and not lightly on it. The car is at Lexus now. Just waiting on them to tell me if they found anything.
Old 01-19-23 | 05:32 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KevsSC
Yes my foot was away from the gas pedal and on the brake. My foot was no where near the gas at all. I am pretty sure my foot was all the way down on the brake and not lightly on it. The car is at Lexus now. Just waiting on them to tell me if they found anything.
I got the same year and model. Mines does not do that lucky for me.

If you dont mind me asking a question, do you feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel and brake pedal at idle in Drive (at a stop light).
Old 01-19-23 | 08:15 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I got the same year and model. Mines does not do that lucky for me.

If you dont mind me asking a question, do you feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel and brake pedal at idle in Drive (at a stop light).
Nice! I don't feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel and brakes at idle. Lexus gave me another 2022 F Sport to drive while they diagnose the problem and I don't feel any vibrations in in that vehicle either.
Old 01-15-24 | 06:29 PM
15RX98422
Pit Crew

Well. I have unintentionally had my heel on the accelerator, and it scared the bejesus out of me.
Old 01-16-24 | 05:37 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Its unlikely but check and make sure your car mats (original or aftermarket) are in good condition and are secured and not lifting or obstructing the accelerator or brake pedals. Happened to me once with one of my previous cars with the handbrake pedal not fully disengaging.
The following users liked this post:
15RX98422 (01-16-24)
Old 01-18-24 | 04:32 AM
c3uo
Driver

So when I read these posts I always find it hard to believe this could be an issue in a modern car with a competent driver (and yes I’m sure the OP is not making this up). It’s impossible for the car to think you have your foot both on the brake and the gas - it will chime and warn in the centre display. I think it’ll eventually even cut power if you have your foot both on the brake and gas. Toyota implemented this safety system many years back after the Prius incident. I’ve confirmed this on my 2016 when I was trying to warm up / bed my new brake pads….

All I can think is that either there’s a serious safety flaw (doubtful but possible), or perhaps the vehicle was creeping forward as the driver was slightly off the brake reaching out the window. This could have been exacerbated by the AC or high idle speed clicking in. You may want to turn on the brake hold feature (I hate it) but it may have prevented this issue.

Also - is the car a hybrid or gas? I have seen the hybrid brake booster go intermittent which leads to not having power brakes. Perhaps when you braked the booster did not work and hence the vehicle went forward. I think there is a tsb or recall on the brake booster for hybrids.
Old 07-28-24 | 02:14 PM
leonardr
1st Gear

Angry 2017 RX 450H F-Sport

Originally Posted by KevsSC
It's been a while since I posted on here since I sold my SC430. We just picked up a 2022 RX F Sport. My wife and I were heading to an appointment for our new baby. We entered a parking garage and were about to grab the parking ticket from the parking ticket machine (foot was on the brake) when the vehicle started to accelerate on it's own. It kept revving and wanting to go inching forward. I kept pushing the brake and the vehicle kept going forward pushing the bar that goes up and down after you take the parking ticket and almost broke it off. I put the vehicle in park and turned off the engine. I started it back up and parked it. Called Lexus and waiting for a diagnostic test on it. Has anyone had this problem before? If my wife were driving, I think she would have panicked and crashed the vehicle.
Kevin,
I experienced exact same thing on Mon - 07/22 - purchased car on 07/06, 104K miles - no accidents always serviced at Lexus of Bellevue

-- Car was in park, on a steep driveway, went to fetch the mail (top of driveway) , got back, seatbelt on - Foot on Brake - Put in Drive - next thing I know- I am speeding towards a massive tree across the driveway, wrenched the wheel to the left, brakes not working, put the Car into park, still going - somehow managed to avoid parked son's car by steering hard left, kissed a stump and car came to a stop 1.5' sideways from the garage - area is flat just before the garage ..

No Check Engine Lights - nothing to indicate anything happened - other than a "dent" and surface scuff from brush/bushes ...

1: What conclusions were reached by Lexus Service Tech's ? in your case ?

2: I have a 90 Day Autonation warranty ...

3. Lexus Service Bellevue says Min 2hrs for Diag at $250 per hour

4. I put the car in lower S gears down steep roads - just to be sure - I have driven may be 200 miles since I got the car .. - Before I had a 2010 RX450H and had no issues for 5+ years ..

5: Any suggestions from Folks ? Autonation does not have a "lexus" dealer in WA state ..

Last edited by leonardr; 07-28-24 at 02:23 PM.