RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport accelerating on its own while foot on brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23 | 03:17 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Default F Sport accelerating on its own while foot on brake

It's been a while since I posted on here since I sold my SC430. We just picked up a 2022 RX F Sport. My wife and I were heading to an appointment for our new baby. We entered a parking garage and were about to grab the parking ticket from the parking ticket machine (foot was on the brake) when the vehicle started to accelerate on it's own. It kept revving and wanting to go inching forward. I kept pushing the brake and the vehicle kept going forward pushing the bar that goes up and down after you take the parking ticket and almost broke it off. I put the vehicle in park and turned off the engine. I started it back up and parked it. Called Lexus and waiting for a diagnostic test on it. Has anyone had this problem before? If my wife were driving, I think she would have panicked and crashed the vehicle.
Old 01-13-23 | 03:40 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

My first thought was a malfunctioning Throttle Position Sensor. Ive experienced that before in another vehicle. Do you have any trouble codes/ dash lights? Regardless a trip to your dealer should get it properly diagnosed and fixed.

Last edited by Lexspeed; 01-13-23 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-13-23 | 04:43 PM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Yikes that’s scary. Glad it was a mild case but I’m Very interested to see how this goes .
Old 01-13-23 | 04:47 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by KevsSC
This just happened to us. We were in a parking garage while my foot was on the brake. The vehicle just started to push forward accelerating on it's own. The engine was revving hard. I tried pushing the brakes harder but it kept going forward. I had to put the vehicle in park and turn the car off. Contacted Lexus and waiting to take the car in for diagnostics. This is on a 2022 RX 350 F Sport still with paper plates.
I hope they find out the root cause. In the mean time, please do not try to do anything.

Side notes:
Did the engine redline when you shifted to "N"/"P"? If the engine was revving up in gear, it would max-out in "N" or "P".
If you are still in paper plates, is there an option for you to return the vehicle.

Salim
Old 01-13-23 | 05:10 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Absolutely no lights or any trouble codes. It's like nothing happened.
Old 01-13-23 | 11:41 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I hope they find out the root cause. In the mean time, please do not try to do anything.

Side notes:
Did the engine redline when you shifted to "N"/"P"? If the engine was revving up in gear, it would max-out in "N" or "P".
If you are still in paper plates, is there an option for you to return the vehicle.

Salim
Hi Salim,

Yes the car still has paper plates. I didn't get a chance to look at the gauges since everything happened so quick.
Old 01-14-23 | 08:02 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Hi Salim,

Yes the car still has paper plates. I didn't get a chance to look at the gauges since everything happened so quick.
If they can't fix it, INSIST they take the vehicle back.
Sounds like the old "unintended acceleration" thing.

Last edited by ravenuer; 01-14-23 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-14-23 | 09:34 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

There was another poster that had a fender bender while she had her foot on the brake. Car moved forward at a stop light.
My wife was backing up in the garage and the car did not stop with her foot on the brake and the sencers stopped it before she hit the wall. was thinking if it happens again i will sell it. Been over a year and it has not happened again

Last edited by jimbosr1; 01-14-23 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-14-23 | 09:54 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Just a random guess.

I am assuming the idle was high and while you had reached to get the ticket, your foot was not 100% firm on the brake pedal?

Also, was your right foot away from the gas pedal?

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 01-15-23 at 02:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GS4_Fiend:
15RX98422 (01-15-24), daddiojigg (01-19-23), SonOfABisc (01-15-23)
Old 01-14-23 | 11:56 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

I have had a similar thing happen when I had my foot on the brake, but unknowingly I also had the tip of my shoe on the accelerator. I moved my foot just a little to the left and the problem went away.
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (01-19-23)
Old 01-15-23 | 06:22 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

It's been a while since I posted on here since I sold my SC430. We just picked up a 2022 RX F Sport. My wife and I were heading to an appointment for our new baby. We entered a parking garage and were about to grab the parking ticket from the parking ticket machine (foot was on the brake) when the vehicle started to accelerate on it's own. It kept revving and wanting to go inching forward. I kept pushing the brake and the vehicle kept going forward pushing the bar that goes up and down after you take the parking ticket and almost broke it off. I put the vehicle in park and turned off the engine. I started it back up and parked it. Called Lexus and waiting for a diagnostic test on it. Has anyone had this problem before? If my wife were driving, I think she would have panicked and crashed the vehicle.

My friend has a 2009 Camry and the same thing has happened 2 times a year for the last 6 or 7 years. I just assumed because it had very high miles the throttle body needed cleaning. Usually happened at a red light. Luckily no crashes. It would be interesting to learn if it is software or mechanical problem.
Old 01-15-23 | 11:54 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

"...interesting to learn if it is software or mechanical problem."

The human factor should not be ignored.
The following 2 users liked this post by SonOfABisc:
Lexspeed (01-15-23), PhxBill (01-16-23)
Old 01-15-23 | 01:45 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Originally Posted by SonOfABisc
"...interesting to learn if it is software or mechanical problem."

The human factor should not be ignored.
So, he stepped hard down on the gas peddle with his foot on the brake. Only on this car but not on the other 8 cars he has owned. You are correct that the human factor is always there but it is just a bit of a stretch in this case.
We don't have clutches in most cars now. The right foot operates the gas peddle and the brake. Very difficult to put your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time.
Old 01-15-23 | 06:20 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcg0324
So, he stepped hard down on the gas peddle with his foot on the brake. Only on this car but not on the other 8 cars he has owned. You are correct that the human factor is always there but it is just a bit of a stretch in this case.
We don't have clutches in most cars now. The right foot operates the gas peddle and the brake. Very difficult to put your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time.
Really not difficult at all. I brake with my left foot. Yeah I know bad habit but been doing for more years than you'd know and never an issue.
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (01-19-23)
Old 01-15-23 | 06:23 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Really not difficult at all. I brake with my left foot. Yeah I know bad habit but been doing for more years than you'd know and never an issue.
Me too, mike.

Quick Reply: F Sport accelerating on its own while foot on brake