RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear turn signal in taillight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 01:58 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

If we can not get sequential tail lights it would be nice if someone made something that makes the brake lights brighter for an instant like I see on the fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. When you brake the brake lights start extra bright for a split second before going to the regular brightness.
Old 02-24-16, 11:16 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
If we can not get sequential tail lights it would be nice if someone made something that makes the brake lights brighter for an instant like I see on the fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. When you brake the brake lights start extra bright for a split second before going to the regular brightness.
That probably would be illegal...but I wish that we had the feature like in European cars where the brake lights flash when emergency braking to tell drivers behind to prepare.

Lexus should be able to equip the US-spec RXs with sequential turn signals. As others have said, US-spec cars like the Mustang and new Audi Q3, have sequential turn signals. I wonder if they are exempt since the brake lights are used as the turn signals too.
Old 02-24-16, 11:48 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
That probably would be illegal...but I wish that we had the feature like in European cars where the brake lights flash when emergency braking to tell drivers behind to prepare.

Lexus should be able to equip the US-spec RXs with sequential turn signals. As others have said, US-spec cars like the Mustang and new Audi Q3, have sequential turn signals. I wonder if they are exempt since the brake lights are used as the turn signals too.
They are exempt from the sequential turn light law because the turn lights are each the minimum size.
Old 02-24-16, 11:50 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ericsan13
They are exempt from the sequential turn light law because the turn lights are each the minimum size.
Agreed it is all about the size of the light from what I understand.
Old 02-24-16, 01:34 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ghabicht
I emailed with them and they said no.
Old 03-18-16, 01:53 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I found an article which confirms this: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/09/...ng-technology/
Old 03-24-16, 04:25 PM
760A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being on the design team for rear signal lighting and currently the manufacturing engineer for the 760A project I would like to address some of your concerns.

Will the US get the sequential tail lights? No.

Can you turn your current lamps into sequential tail lights? No

But I bet you would like to know how to get them? I can answer that..

Background: The 760A is the model that is built at TMMC (Toyota Canada) for the north american market. 740A is the model built in Japan for the ECE, CCC, and Japanese market.

The 760A RCL (Rear Combination Lamp) and BUL (Back Up Lamp) as well as the head light are built in the US, The 740A's are built in Japan.

Due to new cars having a CAN system(Controller Area Network) almost every component has a "computer" or more specifically, some sort of electronic circuitry that can communicate with the body computer. In the RCL and BUL these "computers" will report any outage issues as well as a current on vs off function for the lamp.With that being said, what determines how the lamp lights up is the computer that is INSIDE the lamp. So unless you swap out said computer and design you own computer (which is impossible without destroying your lamp) you will not get sequential turn signals.

However! For the North American market there are 2 grades of lamps, High and Base Grade, High Grade has the LED Turn function. Base has bulb turn. all four lamps have the same vehicle mating connector, as well at the 740A has the same mating connector.

So, If you have the base grade lamps, you could, in theory, just source some Japanese built lamps and attach them to your RX and BOOM Sequential tail lights!

If you have bought your North American RX with the High Grade lamps, the computer is the same in the RCL between the 760A and the 740A. which means that all you would need is the BUL from the Japanese market. This is because the High Grade RCL and BUL have a common communication between the lamps. This communication tells the RCL to light up after the BUL has completed its sequence.

I hope this helps, from one car guy to another.

"I take no responsibly of the content of this post, and do not recommend doing this. FMVSS 108 regulations should be followed. These are the opinions of myself and do not reflect on any organization I am associated with"
Old 03-24-16, 06:02 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks dude for the info, when you say BUL, can you tell me in "English" which part is this?, when you say that you don't recommend to do this its because it's illegal or because could damage the electric system of the car in case it's wrong? Canadians RXs have sequential light?, thanks again
Old 03-25-16, 01:07 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfizer
Thanks dude for the info, when you say BUL, can you tell me in "English" which part is this?, when you say that you don't recommend to do this its because it's illegal or because could damage the electric system of the car in case it's wrong? Canadians RXs have sequential light?, thanks again
He already wrote what it is: "BUL (Back Up Lamp)"
Old 03-25-16, 04:39 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUL in the Lexus RX is an integrated part of the tail light (if we are talking about the same piece) that is the one that lights up on reverse?
Old 03-26-16, 12:18 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 760A
However! For the North American market there are 2 grades of lamps, High and Base Grade, High Grade has the LED Turn function. Base has bulb turn. all four lamps have the same vehicle mating connector, as well at the 740A has the same mating connector. So, If you have the base grade lamps, you could, in theory, just source some Japanese built lamps and attach them to your RX and BOOM Sequential tail lights! If you have bought your North American RX with the High Grade lamps, the computer is the same in the RCL between the 760A and the 740A. which means that all you would need is the BUL from the Japanese market. This is because the High Grade RCL and BUL have a common communication between the lamps. This communication tells the RCL to light up after the BUL has completed its sequence.
Sorry but I'm confused...I thought BUL ("back up light" is just that single light bulb that turns on when you shift to R? How can the BUL perform the sequence? By the way, I have the "high grade" lamp according to your definition.
Old 03-26-16, 01:52 PM
kenforum
Driver

Or can I just buy the whole lamps from e.g. japan and "plug n play" into my car?
Old 03-27-16, 03:27 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

The questions remains, is the sequential circuit in the actual taillight or in the RX's ECU?
Old 03-27-16, 10:49 AM
kenforum
Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
The questions remains, is the sequential circuit in the actual taillight or in the RX's ECU?
His previous post seems to state that the sequential circuit is in the taillight:

"Due to new cars having a CAN system(Controller Area Network) almost every component has a "computer" or more specifically, some sort of electronic circuitry that can communicate with the body computer. In the RCL and BUL these "computers" will report any outage issues as well as a current on vs off function for the lamp.With that being said, what determines how the lamp lights up is the computer that is INSIDE the lamp. So unless you swap out said computer and design you own computer (which is impossible without destroying your lamp) you will not get sequential turn signals."

What I wonder is, can I "plug and play" the lights from japan and then the computer in the new light can communicate with the ECU of the car automatically?
Old 03-27-16, 11:10 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I would love to just get my hands on one of the Japanese tail lights to investigate.

Quick Reply: Rear turn signal in taillight?