RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 03:45 AM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by atomarchio
Where are people putting their cell phones in the 2016 RX? Inside one of the cup holders or somewhere else?

I tried opening that smaller compartment in the center console on the left hand side but my Samsung Galaxy S5 does not fit there.

I was surprised to find out my phone actually fit better in the NX console than the RX.

Anyone else have this issue? Would like to know how people are handling this?

Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have the same issue with my 2015 GS-350, any ideas out there? I have the Samsung Note 3.
Old 02-06-16, 01:17 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Default Found the best spot for iOttie phone mount on dashboard

I'm a huge fan of iOttie phone mounts and happy to have found a perfect spot that is both functional and aesthetically appealing.

For those who never used phone mounts I always thought they were a bit nerdy and uber/lyft driver like however I was sick and tired of either dropping my phone or having the phone move around when using waze. Def one of the best investments for $20.

Does not affect when opening or closing door

Door closed
Old 02-06-16, 04:18 PM
ccb777
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great spot. I have one in my BMW down near the gear shift but it gets in the way sometime. When we get our RX I know where to put it now.
Old 02-06-16, 05:57 PM
SCbarber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would also be nice to have it hooked to the charger at the same time, don't think that is a spot that would allow that.
Old 02-08-16, 07:07 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

that thing is sooo huge and clunky !! try a Kenu air vent mount...way easier to use and so much smaller
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hd0ANTvuw5I/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 02-09-16, 05:43 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the same mount, and when I use it in the 3RX I mount it as you do in the 4RX. I really like the way the mount articulates and securely holds the phone. One of the few mounts that I have found where the suction cup securely sticks to the dash if you choose to mount it there.
Old 02-09-16, 09:43 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

That's along arm which is exerting a lot of pressure on the suction cup. I'd be interested in knowing how long it stays before your phone goes crashing to the floor especially in cold weather.

I have the shorter iOttie and couldn't get it to stay on the dash more than 5 minutes. Extremely disappointed since most here don't report any problems.
Old 02-09-16, 09:47 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by SCbarber
Would also be nice to have it hooked to the charger at the same time, don't think that is a spot that would allow that.
My phone charger is just the right length, here is what I bought (3ft).

Amazon.com: Anker 12W Car Charger with 3ft Lightning Cable PowerDrive Lightning, Apple MFi-Certified iPhone Car Charger for iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and More (Black/Red): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Anker 12W Car Charger with 3ft Lightning Cable PowerDrive Lightning, Apple MFi-Certified iPhone Car Charger for iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and More (Black/Red): Cell Phones & Accessories

Originally Posted by JT4
I have the same mount, and when I use it in the 3RX I mount it as you do in the 4RX. I really like the way the mount articulates and securely holds the phone. One of the few mounts that I have found where the suction cup securely sticks to the dash if you choose to mount it there.
I wouldnt suggest this, although it works it isnt 100% secure and will fall over time also my audi the interior dashboard has a mark now.
Old 03-19-16, 05:00 PM
Flash916
Driver School Candidate

Default How do you mount your phone?

Just wanted to see what solutions people have come up with for holding or mounting their phone. I use audible and Spotify in my car a lot so like to have my phone visible (until there is a CarPlay solution). Here is what I've come up with. Anyone have a better solution?

Old 03-19-16, 05:33 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I use something like this
Amazon.com: Car Mount, WizGear™ Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder, for Cell Phones and Mini Tablets with Fast Swift-SnapTM Technology, Magnetic Cell Phone Mount: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Car Mount, WizGear™ Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder, for Cell Phones and Mini Tablets with Fast Swift-SnapTM Technology, Magnetic Cell Phone Mount: Cell Phones & Accessories

Clips onto any air vent.
Old 03-20-16, 03:15 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I pretty well leave it in my holster. Yep I said holster. I am able to make and receive calls and texts with the hand free system.
Old 03-20-16, 07:57 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Clever solution. I like it!

I have tried several dash type mounts that just don't work well.
The following users liked this post:
LexusWest (04-23-19)
Old 03-20-16, 09:07 AM
cpreecs
Driver School Candidate

I use a flex cable mount that attaches to the cig lighter. I like the positioning but not 100% happy with it since it blocks some of the radio and a/c controls. I'm hoping Android Auto comes along one day...

http://goo.gl/aJVD68
Old 03-20-16, 10:00 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash916
Just wanted to see what solutions people have come up with for holding or mounting their phone. I use audible and Spotify in my car a lot so like to have my phone visible (until there is a CarPlay solution). Here is what I've come up with. Anyone have a better solution?
I assume you have seen this carplay solution?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-solution.html
Old 03-21-16, 11:02 AM
Flash916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bootman
I assume you have seen this carplay solution?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-solution.html
I started that thread so I sure have! Crossing my fingers as it would allow me to keep my phone in the center console.

Quick Reply: Where to put phone in RX (merged phone mounts thread)