RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 03:30 AM
TMMWV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note: This is the same company that uses ZipTies to fix floor mats killing people. Sooo.. yeah an exhaust damper sounds about right.
Old 02-04-17, 04:21 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisK
I hope you get satisfaction from your damper. I installed one and consider it a waste of money, no noticeable effect.
Interesting, youre the first one that said the damper made no difference. Where exactly did you place it.
The placement off the damper is critical, Hopefully Lexus has done enough testing to figure out the best placement.
Old 02-05-17, 07:12 PM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TMMWV
Note: This is the same company that uses ZipTies to fix floor mats killing people. Sooo.. yeah an exhaust damper sounds about right.
I hate to go off topic but the floor mat issue was not the fault of Lexus/Toyota. My 05 4Runner, 05 Solara and my 07 Tundra all had clips that held the floor mats in place. I never once had an issue with them getting caught on the gas pedal. Just because people took it upon themselves to stack more mats on top of their factory mats which caused them to get stuck under the gas pedal is not the manufacturers fault. Besides that they had plenty of ways to stop their cars after the pedals got stuck.

Trust me right now I am not happy with the way Lexus is handling the vibration/drone issue. Paying $50K for a new car that vibrates worse than my 76 Chevy truck is infuriating. I hope they get their heads together and come up with a TSB that resolves the vibration/drone issues.
Old 02-06-17, 02:32 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I just hope that the Drone is whats causing the vibration. I would hate to think thats another issue.
Old 02-06-17, 05:26 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Has anyone with a 2016-2017 RX 450h had this vibration/drone problem? If not, what is different? If so, how many? I "hear" my RX 450h exhaust, but nothing vibrates or drones to the point of being annoying. That doesn't mean other folks don't have it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones...
First of all - in my 2017 RX450h, the ICE starts and stops with some vibration, feeling the car shiver for a moment. I would maybe not care in a cheap car - but in this car I care. In my 2011 RX450h, I could barely notice the start, and never the stop, of the ICE. Worse - when I am letting off the throttle at low speed (1-3 mph), ICE running, for excample in a parking lot or in slow trafic, the exhaust starts rumbling (droning?) as if it vibrates at its resonance frequency. First time this happened, I actually believed a helicopter was pasing above... Also - when starting form a stop in Heavy trafic, bearly touching the throttle, the ICE runs uneven, feels troublesome and stumbles.
BTW - this car has a cost here in Norway representing 120 000 USD - so my expectations to this car is pretty high...
Old 02-06-17, 05:32 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I just hope that the Drone is whats causing the vibration. I would hate to think thats another issue.
I actually think its the other way around - vibration from the ICE plants to the exhaust - vibrating at its resonance frequency. Mounting a damper, alters the resonance frequency, but does not solve the root cause - ICE vibration at low RPM With light throttle. But of course, my experience is from a 450h, where the symptoms seems less noticeable.
Old 02-06-17, 02:00 PM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got a call from my case manager and she is not aware of any TSB at this moment. Oh well.

Last edited by KenwK; 02-07-17 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-07-17, 04:02 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KenwK
I just got a call from my case manager and she is now aware of any TSB at this moment. Oh well.
I presume you meant to say "Not aware" in your post. Not surprised at case mgr response. Maybe Lexus will eventually wake up and fix the problem if they want satisfied owners. Tnx to all for input.
Old 02-07-17, 07:50 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donmatt
I presume you meant to say "Not aware" in your post. Not surprised at case mgr response. Maybe Lexus will eventually wake up and fix the problem if they want satisfied owners. Tnx to all for input.
opps,, yes she is not aware, updated comment above.
Old 02-07-17, 01:25 PM
lefty75
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not surprising that Lexus is blowing smoke up our you know what, RX's are still flying off the lots like hot cakes.
Old 02-07-17, 02:00 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty75
It's not surprising that Lexus is blowing smoke up our you know what, RX's are still flying off the lots like hot cakes.
I feel the same. They are going to sell as much vibration/drone as they can. Then in 2018/2019 we will be force to trade it in for non vibration version. That would drive sales up even more.
Old 02-07-17, 02:36 PM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s2000zr
I feel the same. They are going to sell as much vibration/drone as they can. Then in 2018/2019 we will be force to trade it in for non vibration version. That would drive sales up even more.
Not from me, this will be my last Lexus.
Old 02-07-17, 06:46 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KenwK
Not from me, this will be my last Lexus.
I am glad you like yours that much to keep it forever!! 😀

J/k. I bought a rx450h back in October b/c for a full year, no body complain anything about the drone/ vibration on the 450h. So I am thinking let's spend the extra $6k for 450h so I don't have to deal with the drone/vibration.
WRONG. It drone/vibrate so much that I feel it through the steering wheel. it made my hands go numb during the 3hrs drive home. A few owner are now complaining about their 450h drone too, so I am not the only.

I think these Lexus are over rated and over price. Sure, it does look good. And so does my nieabor. But if all they do is vibrate, what good is it to me?

Last edited by s2000zr; 02-07-17 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 06:34 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Default So disappointed

I installed my two exhaust dampers this morning, made absolutely no difference in Drone or Vibration.
Cant understand how this made a diffetence for Walt or was is the placebo effect. Anyway $100 dollars
down the drain and if the TSB from Lexus is a damper I doubt it will work.

Out of all the car manufacturers Ive purchased over the years Lexus is the absolute worst.
Its just an overpriced piece of Sh.t, yes Im pissed......
Old 02-08-17, 10:35 AM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed two dampers today. I think it does help. After I installed it I drove around the neighborhood to test the result. I tried all different acceleration rates and drive in different speeds. I can say it muffled the drone and vibration by 80%. This is only a symptom relief and not a cure. Still need a TSB to address this issue.
I think the one in the front of the car is the one that does the most muffling. I'm not sure if the one in the back even does anything, since the drone and vibration is coming from the front. I installed the one in the back anyway because previous posts have it there as well. (Thinking about moving the one in the back to the front)
We'll see how this goes for a few days. This is just my results from one test drive, will report back if the results deviate from the norm.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration