RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Test Drive: What You Must Know About the 2016 Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 11:43 AM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Test Drive: What You Must Know About the 2016 Lexus RX350

I was finally able to spend a full week behind the wheel of the all-new, 2016 Lexus RX350 F Sport AWD, and find out what it's like on a daily basis.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 03-15-16, 02:32 PM
rwp1998
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I had planed to buy the new RX 350 when it came out to replace our second car. We couldn't get by the looks so we never went in to drive one. That's why there is vanilla and chocolate.
Old 03-15-16, 03:20 PM
joecompute
Driver School Candidate

Default After a full week that's all you can say?

With $8k for this sub-model being a big upcharge, I expected more detail from your review than one of those "Sunday paper soccer Mom reviews" that say "Its nice and it feels good around the neighborhood". Since we are on our 6th RX since the second year they were sold, I really need some info on why I should look past the "Suburban Hipster" looks and consider whether its worth the cash before I consider moving on to one.
Old 03-15-16, 04:50 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joecompute
With $8k for this sub-model being a big upcharge, I expected more detail from your review than one of those "Sunday paper soccer Mom reviews" that say "Its nice and it feels good around the neighborhood". Since we are on our 6th RX since the second year they were sold, I really need some info on why I should look past the "Suburban Hipster" looks and consider whether its worth the cash before I consider moving on to one.
I've owned 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen RXs. All you have to do is test drive the 2016 RX and all your questions will be answered. Quieter, more luxurious interior, better handling, 100 % improved backup camera. And on and on......
Old 03-17-16, 07:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

What else would you like to be spoon fed. Go test drive it and draw your conclusion from that!

Originally Posted by sandy14
I've owned 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen RXs. All you have to do is test drive the 2016 RX and all your questions will be answered. Quieter, more luxurious interior, better handling, 100 % improved backup camera. And on and on......
I agree. As if any article would have a bigger effect than on your own personal experience in test driving the thing.
Old 03-17-16, 01:19 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't a huge fan of the new front end design, so I looked at the MDX, Audi, BMW X5 and the Mercedes 350 and didn't see anything that I really liked better (and all but the MDX were more $$). I have had mine for a few weeks now, and I can tell you that I LOVE THIS RX!. I had a 2008 and a 2012 (both hybrids), but this one is so much more quiet and comfortable. I just got back from a 4 hour road trip and was even more impressed and pleased with all of the changes. The radar cruise, lane assist and automatic hi-beams make the drive so much nicer. The multiple seat adjustments on both the driver AND passenger seats make it extremely comfortable on long drives. I just love getting in it to go somewhere.... I would definitely buy it again!
Old 03-17-16, 07:30 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ghabicht
I wasn't a huge fan of the new front end design, so I looked at the MDX, Audi, BMW X5 and the Mercedes 350 and didn't see anything that I really liked better (and all but the MDX were more $$). I have had mine for a few weeks now, and I can tell you that I LOVE THIS RX!. I had a 2008 and a 2012 (both hybrids), but this one is so much more quiet and comfortable. I just got back from a 4 hour road trip and was even more impressed and pleased with all of the changes. The radar cruise, lane assist and automatic hi-beams make the drive so much nicer. The multiple seat adjustments on both the driver AND passenger seats make it extremely comfortable on long drives. I just love getting in it to go somewhere.... I would definitely buy it again!
I would have loved to have gotten the RX 450 H. I'm green with envy. My wife and I test drove the vehicle and she noticed the vibration and noise while sitting in the back...more so in the 450H than the 350.
I can only imagine all those extras I could have had. Oh well...happy wife, happy life.
Prior to my RX, I had a 2014 GX460 Luxury Edition. The 450H would have had so much more than my GX and for lower monthly payments and I'm definitely sure I would have saved on gas.
What is the reason as to the cause of the vibration she felt and the noise she heard? We were told because when the engine had switched from gas to battery and vice versa.
Old 03-18-16, 06:32 AM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by brxsilva
I would have loved to have gotten the RX 450 H. I'm green with envy. My wife and I test drove the vehicle and she noticed the vibration and noise while sitting in the back...more so in the 450H than the 350.
I can only imagine all those extras I could have had. Oh well...happy wife, happy life.
Prior to my RX, I had a 2014 GX460 Luxury Edition. The 450H would have had so much more than my GX and for lower monthly payments and I'm definitely sure I would have saved on gas.
What is the reason as to the cause of the vibration she felt and the noise she heard? We were told because when the engine had switched from gas to battery and vice versa.
The engine does kick in and out, but it's barely noticeable. I have heard about a lot of different issues noted on this forum, but I have had none of those problems with my new RX. Do it again in a heartbeat....
Old 03-18-16, 02:56 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I just had one for two days while our 3RX450h was in service. I will report it being a quieter and softer/bouncier ride.

Being used to a seamless hybrid drive train, I did not like the 8-gear transmission constantly doing shifts somewhere in the background. Each time I had to accelerate on the freeway, a shift had to occur. Starting from the stop, I missed the instant electric torque, not that it was terribly slow in that department.

The looks - I just shrug it off. Lexus is as confused as ever.
Conservative is what the older and premium buyers go for, unless your marque name is Lamborghini.
On top, the lack of 3rd row seat, even with a higher trunk line, will make many customers not give it a second look... myself included.
Old 03-19-16, 01:12 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I just had one for two days while our 3RX450h was in service. I will report it being a quieter and softer/bouncier ride.

Being used to a seamless hybrid drive train, I did not like the 8-gear transmission constantly doing shifts somewhere in the background. Each time I had to accelerate on the freeway, a shift had to occur. Starting from the stop, I missed the instant electric torque, not that it was terribly slow in that department.

The looks - I just shrug it off. Lexus is as confused as ever.
Conservative is what the older and premium buyers go for, unless your marque name is Lamborghini.
On top, the lack of 3rd row seat, even with a higher trunk line, will make many customers not give it a second look... myself included.
Love the new RX, but it's still hard to get past the "shark grill". The MDX and Infinity grills are just as questionable as to the look. The only Luxury SUVs that look really nice in front, IMHO, are the BMW and the Porshe (but $$$).
Old 03-19-16, 01:43 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Love the new RX, but it's still hard to get past the "shark grill". The MDX and Infinity grills are just as questionable as to the look. The only Luxury SUVs that look really nice in front, IMHO, are the BMW and the Porshe (but $$$).
Have you seen the 2017 Audi Q7? Now that's a conservative look.
It's got the new "square edges" without taking it overboard.
Looks very classy. And it looks like the engine is the same 330HP powerhouse as the one in my S4. And that engine is astonishing. It is a torque monster.
Did I mention it seats 7?

Toyota should take a cue from Hyundai and hire a chief exterior designer from Audi.
Old 03-19-16, 01:48 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Have you seen the 2017 Audi Q7? Now that's a conservative look.
It's got the new "square edges" without taking it overboard.
Looks very classy. And it looks like the engine is the same 330HP powerhouse as the one in my S4. And that engine is astonishing. It is a torque monster.
Did I mention it seats 7?

Toyota should take a cue from Hyundai and hire a chief exterior designer from Audi.
I looks nice. Don't need the 7 passenger. Love my RX450h anyway, but I agree that Lexus could use some new designers. Never thought my 2012 RX was a looker either, but I loved the car. The new RX interior is fabulous, though.... other than the crappy voice recognition system, I can't find any fault with it.
Old 03-20-16, 01:00 PM
Samour
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looks nice. Don't need the 7 passenger. Love my RX450h anyway, but I agree that Lexus could use some new designers. Never thought my 2012 RX was a looker either, but I loved the car. The new RX interior is fabulous, though.... other than the crappy voice recognition system, I can't find any fault with it.
I was at the dealer on thursday and they told me of a new voice training setting in the display. I am going to try that one too.
Old 03-20-16, 01:21 PM
ghabicht
Rookie

Originally Posted by Samour
I was at the dealer on thursday and they told me of a new voice training setting in the display. I am going to try that one too.
I already tried that - didn't make any difference. It needs Google Voice recognition software or SIRI...