RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Toll sticker mounting options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 07:30 PM
rx16noob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toll sticker mounting options?

All,

I live in Houston and we use a white sticker based toll tag here. Trying to get an idea of how people are mounting theirs.

My RX comes with rain sensing wiper and LDA. If I mount the sticker directly south of the RV mirror then the sticker is pretty much dead smack in the middle of the windshield. Mounting to the right of the RV mirror I am afraid it's going to interfere with auto dimming functionality.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-16, 08:35 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Houston as well. My salesman mounted mine just to the right of the RV mirror.
Seems to work OK. He assured me it wouldn't interfere with any of the cars auto functions.
It doesn't interfere with the rain sensing wipers but now I'm a little concerned about the auto-dimming function.
My biggest concern was that it wouldn't be seen by the EZ tag cameras so I checked that out right away.

Last edited by sandy14; 03-27-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 04:18 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Toll sticker mounting options?-image.jpeg

Works well. No problems.
Old 03-28-16, 05:55 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am in Houston as well. The toll authority told me to just mount it on my front license plate - they provide the mounting hardware, etc. No sticker to worry about.
Old 03-28-16, 07:43 PM
rx16noob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Sandy14 - The picture is very helpful!

@EXP_Cougar - I assume you are talking about one of those black horizontal bars. I guess it all works the same and there is no additional cost to the driver?
Old 03-29-16, 08:19 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

mines is slightly left of where sandy14 has it...right against the rain sensor/LDA unit....read my pass with no issues.
Old 03-30-16, 05:27 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx16noob
@Sandy14 - The picture is very helpful!

@EXP_Cougar - I assume you are talking about one of those black horizontal bars. I guess it all works the same and there is no additional cost to the driver?
Correct - it sits against the top edge of the plate and there's no cost.
Old 03-31-16, 03:24 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Correct - it sits against the top edge of the plate and there's no cost.
I just got my EZ Tag bar, but the instructions say to mount it at the bottom of the plate. I can't mount it at the bottom because the license plate holder on the car doesn't reach the bottom, only the top.

Will the toll booths read it correctly mounted at the top?
Old 04-01-16, 05:53 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boomer10
I just got my EZ Tag bar, but the instructions say to mount it at the bottom of the plate. I can't mount it at the bottom because the license plate holder on the car doesn't reach the bottom, only the top.

Will the toll booths read it correctly mounted at the top?
You won't have any issues if you mount it on the top. A friend in Houston has his mounted at the top of the plate and has never had any problems.
Old 04-01-16, 04:47 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Can someone post a picture of this EZ tag bar? I think I may have seen them but I'm not sure.

I put mine on the windshield because I didn't let the the dealer mount the front plate. I know it's inevitable that I'll get pulled over and I'll put it on then. In the meantime I like the way the RX looks without it.
Old 04-02-16, 07:41 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sandy14
Can someone post a picture of this EZ tag bar? I think I may have seen them but I'm not sure.

I put mine on the windshield because I didn't let the the dealer mount the front plate. I know it's inevitable that I'll get pulled over and I'll put it on then. In the meantime I like the way the RX looks without it.
Looks like I can't post pics quite yet because I'm a newbie, but it's about 8" long (about 1/2" past the screw holes on each side of the plate), 1-1/2" tall, and about 3/4" wide.
Old 04-02-16, 08:33 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boomer10
Looks like I can't post pics quite yet because I'm a newbie, but it's about 8" long (about 1/2" past the screw holes on each side of the plate), 1-1/2" tall, and about 3/4" wide.
OK, I'm pretty sure that's what I've been seeing. Wondered what it was.
I'm glad they figured out something else because windshields are getting really crowded
Old 04-03-16, 11:19 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sandy14

Toll tag
Old 05-01-16, 03:47 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

I live in Houston and purchased my RX from Westside. I also got the EZ Tag bar that mounts on the front license plate. The course-thread security screw I received from the EZ Tag Store wouldn't fit on my front license plate mount. Only an M6 metric machine (fine-thread) screw fits the license plate. I couldn't find that type of security screw, so I contacted the EZ Tag screw manufacturer. I had to purchase a box of 100 (couldn't purchase just 2 screws).

If anyone needs a couple machine M6 screws to fit their front EZ Tag license plate, let me know.
Old 05-01-16, 05:32 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also live in Houston and had the black bar EZ Tag for almost 4 years on my '13 Rxh - no problems. When I got my '16 Rxh last week I told the dealer not to put the front plate holder on the vehicle but when I took delivery it was already mounted. So I put the bar on for now and checked the logs to make sure it was working - yep...no problem.

I told my daughter to get one on her new car and they told her NO. She had to get the sticker...which costs $10 and cannot transfer to another vehicle.

Quick Reply: Toll sticker mounting options?