RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Thinkware F770 dash cam in the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 09:32 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by feddery
where did you mount the front sticky base to? windshield or the sensor box?
I mounted on the windshield, behind the rear view mirror and to the right of the sensor box. You want the camera as close as possible to the glass to minimize reflections that might interfere with the camera capturing images on the other side of the windshield glass.
The following users liked this post:
feddery (06-21-17)
Old 09-02-17, 08:57 PM
NDLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi new here. I currently am setting up the particular 2 channel cam "Thinkware F770" to girlfriend's X350. Anyway... Isn't there a way to "tap a fuse" or use the hardwire kit that came with the dash cam?

I bought the camera for most importantly for the "parking mode" feature since dings and scratches mysteriously <hand gestures< keep appearing on the car.

If it can be done with by tapping the fuses, which fuses can be tapped? If not, what is the cheaper way to get parking mode

Last edited by NDLexus; 09-02-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 03:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by NDLexus
Hi new here. I currently am setting up the particular 2 channel cam "Thinkware F770" to girlfriend's X350. Anyway... Isn't there a way to "tap a fuse" or use the hardwire kit that came with the dash cam?

I bought the camera for most importantly for the "parking mode" feature since dings and scratches mysteriously <hand gestures< keep appearing on the car.

If it can be done with by tapping the fuses, which fuses can be tapped? If not, what is the cheaper way to get parking mode
NDLexus, you can purchase an Add-A-Fuse kit to tap into the fuses. Refer to the owners manual to figure out which one. I'd also recommend getting something like the Multisafer Hardwiring Kit to prevent draining the car's battery. Not having to worry about that was the main reason I went with the external Cellink battery. It charges and records while I drive, and allows the Thinkware to stay in parking mode for over 15 hours with both cameras on. Sensitivity levels are at the lowest settings and I don't keep it in continuous recording mode.

BW, the Strontium Nitro 128GB card Nigel recommended works fine with the Thinkware.
NDLexus (09-04-17)
Old 09-03-17, 04:12 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

I tapped mine in two places:
1) At first I used a mirror tap: I had it powered from the rear view mirror by just soldering a pin into the end of the power and ground cables and inserting them into the mirror power connector. However, this power only tuns on when the car is powered.
2) Then I got a Celllink battery and have it powered from one of the empty fuses with a fuse tap. This fuse is powered when the car is powered. I was concerned about draining my car battery, so I wanted a separate power source. I placed the Cellink behind the left footrest area. Right behind the CPU box. The space there was just the space needed by the Celllink.

If you want to use an always on switch, then you might need to test a few fuses with a voltmeter to see which one has power when the car is powered off.

I placed the camera behind the rear view mirror and routed the cables between the humidity and lane assist camera.
Attached Thumbnails Thinkware F770 dash cam in the RX450h-img_3752.jpg  

Last edited by lexnewbi; 09-03-17 at 04:15 PM.
NDLexus (09-04-17)
Old 09-04-17, 08:25 AM
NDLexus
Driver School Candidate

I understand the need for the cell link pack, would the "power magic box" work for this feature as well? I seen it in my car forum, "mbworld," and they seem pretty happy with this $20some device working for their vehicles.
Old 09-04-17, 08:37 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

I understand the need for the cell link pack, would the "power magic box" work for this feature as well? I seen it in my car forum, "mbworld," and they seem pretty happy with this $20some device working for their vehicles.
The ThinkWare F770 has a voltage comparator and timer that you can set with the app. If the direct battery connection falls from the set voltage for more than5 minutes, the camera powers down. Thus, you do not need an external box to monitor the voltage or add a timer. If I remember correctly, the threshold could be set around 11.5V -12.5V. The recordings include the battery voltage condition, so you can experiment to figure out the best level to set it.
NDLexus (09-05-17)
Old 09-05-17, 08:21 PM
NDLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
The ThinkWare F770 has a voltage comparator and timer that you can set with the app. If the direct battery connection falls from the set voltage for more than5 minutes, the camera powers down. Thus, you do not need an external box to monitor the voltage or add a timer. If I remember correctly, the threshold could be set around 11.5V -12.5V. The recordings include the battery voltage condition, so you can experiment to figure out the best level to set it.
That's what I was thinking. I just need to know which fuse box to fuse, and which wires I need to "tap" into which fuses. Numbers would be awesome!
Old 09-27-18, 02:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Has anyone installed the F800 Pro? Just had a small hit-and-run issue in my work garage where parking camera would've been great.
Old 09-27-18, 06:23 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the f800 pro. GOt it prof installed. I set the voltage to the lowest setting because it would randomly turn off/ wouldn't start etc. But now it's good.

Front and Rear.

My wife has one as well on the Prius and it saved her from an accident because someone hit her and she hit the car in front so she was not at fault and didn't pay any deductible because of the dash cam
Old 09-30-18, 01:04 AM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a Blackvue DR900S-2-channel installed in my 18 350L....

Old 10-04-18, 09:35 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Has anyone installed the F800 Pro? Just had a small hit-and-run issue in my work garage where parking camera would've been great.
Indeed, a dashcam is worth every penny and, in some cases, cheaper than having to pay your insurance deductible for a single claim. I currently have two VIOFO A119S cameras on our LS and in the past year my car has been hit three times. The camera definitely paid for itself by being able to catch the responsible party. The third time I was swiped at a parking lot but I didn't have parking mode enabled. Luckily I was able to buff out the damage. I haven't made the jump to a CellLink or Power Magic LiFePo battery yet due to cost. Currently, I am powering parking mode for up to 40 hours with a basic $45 power bank battery.

Originally Posted by Doney01
Here's a Blackvue DR900S-2-channel installed in my 18 350L....

The DR900S-2CH is definitely nice with 4K front. I was going to wait until Black Friday deals to get it but am disappointed the rear camera is "only" 1080 and identical to the rear camera on the DR750 from last year. Have you had any issues with overheating? I was all set on upgrading to the BlackVue DR900S-2CH until I stumbled on the following dashcamtalk thread about overheating. Parking mode would serve me no good if the camera shuts down for self-preservation. Apparently you can remedy the heat issues by dialing down the resolution but that defeats the purpose of the main attraction of 4K! For others considering dashcams, here is a good video comparison of different models:

ericsan13 (10-04-18)
Old 10-04-18, 10:47 AM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

My DR900S did overheat when it was mounted on the glass in direct sunlight when it reached 94 degrees in Oregon. I then mounted it on the Blendmount and purchased two extra links to get it just under the plastic shown in the pic. Hasn’t overheated since but will need to test more next summer.
Old 10-04-18, 11:58 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

My DR900S did overheat when it was mounted on the glass in direct sunlight when it reached 94 degrees in Oregon. I then mounted it on the Blendmount and purchased two extra links to get it just under the plastic shown in the pic. Hasn’t overheated since but will need to test more next summer.
Perhaps a small piece of clear 3M Crystalline tint would help keep it from getting scorched in the sun.
Old 10-04-18, 04:41 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Greatly appreciate your first-hand experience and honesty, Doney01. Glad you found a solution to keep the DR900 from getting baked by the sun. Are you using the B-112 or B-124 to power parking mode? How long can it realistically record in parking mode with the Power Magic and does it truly recharge as fast as claimed? Have you tried tethering it to a mobile hotspot to receive notifications or do Live View when away from the RX? Also, how are you liking the 350L?

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Perhaps a small piece of clear 3M Crystalline tint would help keep it from getting scorched in the sun.
That is an idea worth trying, ericsan13. I read some other posts that a clear tint on your windshield (besides the legal issues) can distort the dashcam image when the film/windshield gets really hot. A small piece may still affect image quality, but I haven't tested it.
Old 10-04-18, 07:02 PM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

I use the b-124, hard-wired...tried at first with the cigarette lighter connection but charged way to slow.. hardwired-charges really quick as advertised. I can get about 14 hours recording time with both cameras on. I’m planning on installing the power magic pro also with a relay to get more recording time since you can program it to cut off at a certain voltage and or time. I’m planning on also hardwiriring my Verizon mifi hotspot the same way to keep it always powered up.... I’ll post more pics when I can finally get around to doing this.. wife and I love our 350L... great car!

Quick Reply: Thinkware F770 dash cam in the RX450h