RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

TPMS programming for second set of wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 08:22 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same tool. I bought oem tpms sensors for my aftermarket wheels. Before I got them installed, I plugged in the tool to record my original tpms codes. I put on the aftermarket wheels and had discount tires program them for free. Brought the car home, plugged in the tool to pull the second set of codes .
Old 05-12-18, 11:35 PM
horizonsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ybe4094
The tool simply overwrites the existing IDs in the ECU. The car can store only one set of IDs. I bought the tool along with the compatible tpms sensors with new tires and rims from Tirerack.
Nice, I'll check tirerack offering, do you recall the brand of the tpms that you purchased via tirerack ? I'm also researching another solution which was offered to me by an online seller, basically you provide them with your original tpms IDs -the one you currently have on your car-and they clone the existing IDs on brand new set of tpms then they ship you the new set with clonned IDs which doesn't need any device/tool to re-learn or add to ECU , I find this great workaround because the new set are technically allowed to communicate with ECU and provide all guaging data .....I would love to hear some feedback if someone went this route.
Old 05-13-18, 03:55 AM
ybe4094
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure about the actual TPMS brand since the sensors came already installed with the wheels and tires. You could call Tirerack and inquire. As far as installing cloned sensors in theory that should work except you would have to replace a TPMS in both winter / summer sets even if only one of them goes bad for some reason in the future. Plus I am not sure how reliable (life expectancy) are the cloned sensors vs OEM.
Old 12-01-18, 10:53 AM
HHW
Driver School Candidate

Default TPMS reset button RX 450H 2016

Hi All,
After changing to my winter tires
the tpms light is blinking for a minute and after that it is on all the time.

Is there a reset button or is the reset only done in the menu TPMS.?

Thanks for helping

John

Last edited by HHW; 12-01-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 01:04 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by HHW
Hi All,
After changing to my winter tires
the tpms light is blinking for a minute and after that it is on all the time.

Is there a reset button or is the reset only done in the menu TPMS.?

Thanks for helping

John
Blinking and then solid light typically indicates a fault in the system. Was a sensor possibly damaged during your switch?
Old 12-01-18, 01:25 PM
HHW
Driver School Candidate

Default Tpms

Hi,

More specific. The system worked with the original wheels. When I swapped them to the winter wheels with new tpms sensors the problem starts.
The tpms program tool shows that the ecu was programmed right. It looks like that I have to reset
something. When I do the reset in the menu there happens nothing.

Or is there a special procedure to program the id's ?

Thanks.

John
Old 12-01-18, 05:10 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by HHW
Hi,

More specific. The system worked with the original wheels. When I swapped them to the winter wheels with new tpms sensors the problem starts.
The tpms program tool shows that the ecu was programmed right. It looks like that I have to reset
something. When I do the reset in the menu there happens nothing.

Or is there a special procedure to program the id's ?

Thanks.

John
Read page 588 in the manual. It seems there may be a procedure the dealer needs to complete to register the new sensors. Try the initialization process yourself and maybe that will domit.
Old 12-01-18, 06:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

I don't believe that re-setting/re-initializing the TPMS has anything to do with registering the sensors to the system. It only sets the pressure at the time time when the system is re-set to be the baseline pressure that the system will use to determine when to send an alert saying that a tire has low pressure.

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that the system is only capable of having one set of sensors registered at a time, and if you use a second set of wheels with different sensors, the sensors on the set of wheels being used need to be registered to the system every time you switch wheels, and that needs to be done with Techstream, which means it would normally be done by a dealer unless you have a copy of the Techstream software. I don't know if registering the sensors can also be done with the Carista smartphone app, but it may be capable of doing so.

The way to avoid having to re-register the sensors every time you change the wheels would be to clone the second set of sensors from the first set of sensors.
The following users liked this post:
NdYAG (09-25-19)
Old 12-03-18, 04:43 AM
jvinhj240
Rookie

When turn on ignition if blinking = need program. DO NOT press reset TPMS button It will make it harder to program if amateur work on TMPS tools
When turn on ignition if stay on solid = low air
To clone a sensor buy aftermarket brand like Schrader.

Last edited by jvinhj240; 12-03-18 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-10-19, 11:37 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Carista TPMS which # to which tire?

I just changed to my snow tires and re-programmed the TPMS for the winter tires, but there is no indication of which tire 1,2,3,4 correspond to.
Anybody know? Otherwise, I guess I have to inflate them one by one and check to see which tire registers the increase in pressure.
Old 11-11-19, 05:17 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Usual
I just changed to my snow tires and re-programmed the TPMS for the winter tires, but there is no indication of which tire 1,2,3,4 correspond to.
Anybody know? Otherwise, I guess I have to inflate them one by one and check to see which tire registers the increase in pressure.
The system will determine by itself their locations, so the order is not important.
The following users liked this post:
Usual (11-11-19)
Old 11-11-19, 06:33 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
The system will determine by itself their locations, so the order is not important.
Any idea how it does that? I would have assumed there was only one transmitter/receiver in the vehicle.
Old 11-11-19, 06:36 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Usual
Any idea how it does that? I would have assumed there was only one transmitter/receiver in the vehicle.

It would at least have 3 and work like a GPS works, using triangulation.

Once the new TMPS have been calibrated and localized, if you use Techstream, you can see on the TPMS page for which wheel the sensor has been located.

Last edited by PeeVee; 11-11-19 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 09:14 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
It would at least have 3 and work like a GPS works, using triangulation.

Once the new TMPS have been calibrated and localized, if you use Techstream, you can see on the TPMS page for which wheel the sensor has been localized.
I'm confused by this! Doesn't the tire pressure indicator on the dashboard indicate the pressure of each tire, ie, LF, LR etc?
Old 11-11-19, 09:27 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I'm confused by this! Doesn't the tire pressure indicator on the dashboard indicate the pressure of each tire, ie, LF, LR etc?
When we program the TPMS IDs, they are in a list of 1 to 4. The list entries 1 to 4, they are not tied to a position (LF, LR, RF, RR). The vehicle sensors will read the location of them by itself. So when it read the pressure of a particular TPMS, it will use the detected position to display its measurement on the dash board.

Whenever there is a tire rotation, the wheel might not necessarily return at the same position, the vehicle sensors will search its position.

At the beginning of each season I personally switch the front tires to the back and vice-versa, but I don't change the order of the way I program them.

Quick Reply: TPMS programming for second set of wheels?