RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16 | 01:39 PM
Madbuyer
Driver School Candidate

Default Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)

Worst decision I made buying a Lexus . My car is just 4 months old . I am getting water inside of it . The dealer on route 10 claims it is because of the sunroof drains getting clogged by the stuff from the tree. One person told me it is from spider web clogging it. The car has been with them for a week they cannot guarantee me it is not going to happen again. I have had two previous cars with sunroofs , I never had that problem.. I don't know what kind of bull**** they are telling me. It is not like I had the car for years it is only 4 months old. I could really use some advice.

Popular Reply

08-19-20, 06:14 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Default Ac odor, Maintenance, Drain line clogged, Wet passenger floor

So the rx's ac system has a crucial flaw, the recirculate air will automatically turn on with the ac on, thus after you turn off the car, leaving the ac evaporator wet after a long drive which can build up moisture which can lead to odors even with a correctly working drain line. In this diy it will show you how the dealership "says" there going to clean the system. I had a clogged drain line that forced water onto my passenger floor and the dealership ensured me they cleaned the evaporator cooler and hvac system but after doing it myself I now know they clearly lied about the work they did because of the smell that lingers on for about a day. This will use all OEM "parts" or products. This will be done on a 2019 rx350 f sport.

So this diy will fix
-weak air flow (clogged cabin filter)
-ac odors
-if your ac drain line is clogged
-water building up on passenger floor

YOU NEED TO DO THIS OUTSIDE, NOT IN A GARAGE the fumes are very strong
Difficulty: 3/10
Time needed: 1 hour
Cost: under 50 dollars

Tools needed
-trim remover (you can you a flat head but a trim remover makes sure of no damage)
-vacuum
-towels
-compressed air
-new cabin air filter
-Ac evaporator cleaner (oem) part number 00053-00008

Links to products
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3B5JTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3B5JTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXW3WKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXW3WKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
note: you will receive green bottles, I did at toyota and people on amazon stated green bottles now as well. The new nipple included perfectly fits the rx350's ac drain line so you can buy with confidence. Funny how my local toyota had the refresh kit but not a cabin air filter which I had to buy on amazon which was actually a good thing. The stealership wanted 46 dollars for one cabin air filter when amazon has three for 15 bucks with honestly better quality imo.

Videos to watch first.

To start remove this one trim clip

You can then pull the panel back far enough where you can see the works of the ac system. Note I did not remove the entire panel, just the one clip and it gave me enough access to work, removing the entire piece can lead to rattles in the future and clips are easy to break and not see. Also place a rag down because were going to remove the drain line to check if its clogged and you dont want gross water on your floor.

So in my case the drain line isnt clogged, but will run some compressed air through it just to make sure. I used the computer canned air and shot a couple quick blasts through it as space is limited and I didnt want to fight the compressor hose today.

Now that we know the drain line is cleared, leave the body panel like that for now and time to work on the other parts, which is clearing tree leaves. I used a vacuum and a detail brush to get most of the leaves caught in the tray out.

IMPORTANT: Now that you crushed up and vacuumed the leaves from the tray start the car, turn off recirculate and turn the fan on high switching through the modes from feet to face, to windsheild, the vacuum couldnt catch all the leaves and some made it to the filter so were starting the car to let the airflow pull the leaves onto the filter. If you dont do this, in the steps ahead the leaves will be sucked into the blower and then get stuck in the evap coil causing more odors so this is very important.

Remove the cabin air filter now but careful not to drop leaves into the blower below the filter. I vacuumed most of the leaves off before i removed it.

Now this might be confusing but lexus dictates their oem filter placement with vertical orientation and not air flow. So when you remove the old filter pad just take note of how the filter sits in the housing with the pleats orientation. Most aftermarket filters dictate by air flow.

After market will be installed with arrow facing DOWN as the airflow comes from the top to bottom. Look at the last filter pleat and that is how you tell. The last one will make a V like the oem one. If it makes a /\ then its upside down.

Leave it out for now and head under the car and locate the drain line. Insert this nipple into the drain tube under the car

as such, you dont even need to jack the car up, i just drove on a 2x6 and that gave me enough room, ac drain line is located behind the passenger wheel in start of the transmission tunnel above the catalytic converter. Sounds tricky to find but once your under there theres only one tube not connected so its easy to find.

Make sure to put lots of towels everywhere cause its going to get messy and wet inside the passenger foot well. Then unload the whole bottle and LEAVE EVERYTHING CONNECTED

Wait for 10 mins and then remove the nipple under the car, the product will slowly turn from foam into liquid and make its way to the drain line. I waited an additional 10 mins and it was still foaming so I gave it probably 25 mins in total. I did not put half the can, wait and then do the other half. The manufacture now recommends the whole can at once.

Now onto the second smaller can, the AC odor treatment. You will have roughly 25 seconds worth of spray so ignore the videos instruction of how long to spray. You will be spraying it in the large vent where you brushed off the leaves. Here

Make sure the cabin air filter is removed, but install the cover to the cabin air filter. Turn the car on, and make sure recirculate is off. Turn the ac on and fan to high and facing the front as in the setting it usually is in, to the "face" or "upper body" setting as this is most used setting which will normally have most of the odor when using the ac. Spray it into the vent compartment where we cleaned the leaves for 10 seconds, then switch it to the floor setting and spray for 5 seconds , then select front windshield and another 5 second spray. Then change the setting back to face otherwise known as upper body, and remove the air cabin filter cover and spray the rest directly into the filter compartment. This will directly spray onto the blower and make better contact to the vents most used. Let it run for 3-4 mins and then shut the car off.

I cannot stress enough that this has to be done outside as both of the cleaners are alcohol based and the fumes are so strong that inside the cabin they will create "fume waves". I kept both doors and open for the entire hour. In a garage with the door open will not suffice, must be done outdoors.

Remove all towels, make sure the drain line is still secured, and then reinstall the one body clip we removed and also floor mats and your done. If you did get some cleaner foam on the carpets dont worry, its all alcohol based and has no sent.

And were done, I like this oem cleaner because its basically scent free. The first can that foams you put through the drain line has no scent. The smaller ac odor treatment has the tiniest smell of lemon which I honestly could just be imagining as the fumes got me a few times. Regardless of if it has a scent, it goes away in a day just leaving a clean ac system. Do not use other cleaners as people have complained about not being able to get the sent of "mint" or "clean fresh" out of their ac system, my 2 cents.

I personally didnt have a ac odor or a clog at the time of doing this. This is more of a maintenance for me. When I had the car in for service, the dealership noted they wanted to do a evap cleaning for 300, for a odor which I never had and it got a bit complicating. They then refused to clean it and went back and forth them yielding saying they'll clean it for free. I had a suspicion they didnt clean it as the car was ready within an hour of them saying they will clean the entire system and also wet vac the floor. When I picked it up it smelled like no cleaner and they never even brought up the cabin air filter which clearly needed to be changed. So I decided to do it myself as it seemed easy. Doing this once a year seems like a good idea to have clean crisp ac and keep the system in good shape. One thing to note is that ill be changing the cabin air filter every 5k as it seems to get dirty quite fast in my environment.
Old 08-02-16 | 02:22 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

I've owned various Lexus models since 1993 and never had this happen to a sunroof. Sounds like you may have a build problem. I had a bolt that was cross-threaded on my front bumper cover on my 2016 RX that was making one side of the cover loose! The lead tech at my dealer said he's never seen this before! He took pictures and sent them to Lexus to document the problem. Maybe Lexus is having quality control problems at the build factory.
Old 08-02-16 | 02:28 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Did they handle the repair under warranty? If so I would wait until it does it again before being concerned. Sounds like they blew out the drains and probably are guessing what caused it. If the leak is on the passengers side it could be AC condensate leaking in.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-02-16 | 04:10 PM
Madbuyer
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up the car. It still smells,! The car looks so neat. I got home thinking the car was dry I lift the mat it is still wet underneath .
Old 08-02-16 | 05:04 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

What kind of dealer would let you pick up the car without drying up all the wet spots, especially the carpet or mat.
Old 08-02-16 | 05:24 PM
Madbuyer
Driver School Candidate

Lexus of route 10
Old 08-02-16 | 07:04 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

The proper way to dry out the carpet is to take out the mat and lift up the carpet so the padding underneath the carpet will get air and dry out. The padding is probably what stinks.The dealer should know this. It is not rocket science.

Last edited by Kiboater; 08-03-16 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-03-16 | 05:19 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Another user had the same exact issue! They tried to do some lemon law. Not sure what happened to them.

Yes, very unfortunate situation to be in. I like how you created a username JUST to post madbuyer haha.

Check yelp and maybe take your lexus to a dealer with good customer service?

Tell them what happened.

Also, it is VERY easy to call corporate. The website should be on the lexus website, google it.
Old 08-03-16 | 09:43 PM
Turri
9th Gear

VW's with pano roofs were notorious for drains either getting clogged or the drain coming loose. I'd give them a chance to fix the issue correctly and document everything. Should be fine, it does suck though.
Old 08-04-16 | 04:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

It is important that you get the wet mats out and maybe put a fan on the floor to get the remaining moisture out as it will mildew quickly.
Old 11-02-16 | 10:00 AM
Gibster
Driver

Default Another Blocked AC Drain

I noticed water on the passenger floor over the weekend in my 2 month old RX.

The dealer diagnosed the cause as a blocked AC drain. Apparently this isn't always covered under warranty. Insurance was mentioned and I didn't bother to ask if they were talking about their insurance or mine. The service manager said '...this is a big job.' I translated that to mean costly. He said this is more common in Southern areas. I'm in Chicago and the car was delivered from Pennsylvania. No telling where the car was prior to the Pennsylvania dealer.

Today the service manager let me know that Lexus will cover the repair, thankfully. It will take three days to repair.

I wonder why some type of screen couldn't be used to cover the drain outlet considering it seems to be a popular housing option for spiders. I've never had a car with this problem before and hopefully won't ever have to deal with it again, although there is no shortage of reports of this on the web.
Old 11-03-16 | 02:53 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

It's normal to have water drain under the car (outside). It comes from ac condenser.
It's not normal to have it inside. Inside could be due to kinked drainage hose or blocked drainage due to contamination. Considering the car is new, has cabin air filter, I can not see how contamination would get there.
Old 11-07-16 | 04:27 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

I may have a similar problem. Dealer claimed spider web clogged the hose. Not covered by warranty. Since my vehicle is new, they will cover it free of charge. I am a bit suspicious. Took a week to resolve
Old 11-08-16 | 08:32 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gibster
I noticed water on the passenger floor over the weekend in my 2 month old RX.

The dealer diagnosed the cause as a blocked AC drain. Apparently this isn't always covered under warranty. Insurance was mentioned and I didn't bother to ask if they were talking about their insurance or mine. The service manager said '...this is a big job.' I translated that to mean costly. He said this is more common in Southern areas. I'm in Chicago and the car was delivered from Pennsylvania. No telling where the car was prior to the Pennsylvania dealer.

Today the service manager let me know that Lexus will cover the repair, thankfully. It will take three days to repair.

I wonder why some type of screen couldn't be used to cover the drain outlet considering it seems to be a popular housing option for spiders. I've never had a car with this problem before and hopefully won't ever have to deal with it again, although there is no shortage of reports of this on the web.
I agree, this is ridiculous no less on a new vehicle.. It seems that a small screen would help to eliminate this type of problem..
Old 11-08-16 | 09:07 AM
Gibster
Driver

Default Final Repair Hours and Parts

The repair order shows 7 hours labor and front right floor pad replacement.
Hopefully this doesn't happen again but if it does I will argue that if it was covered under warranty once......

Quick Reply: Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)