RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What are some of the "birth defects" with the RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17 | 07:57 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Default What are some of the "birth defects" with the RX350?

Hey guys, trying to a bit of research here and see if the new RX is the right car to buy. Owned a 1st Gen RX and its been relatively problem free for 17 years, now its time to consider the 2018 model that will last just as long as the 1st. In case someone here is active in the forum and know the issues on top of their head, can you briefly tell me what the "birth defects" are on the rx350 and whether or not there are fixes for them? IThanks!
Old 11-06-17 | 08:24 AM
JSracer
Instructor

well, not many changes on an 18 from 17, and some great deals to be found on a 17
not sure the trim and options you are looking but the 450 is smooth compared to the 350,
Old 11-07-17 | 04:53 PM
Koetsu
Driver

My 2017 RX350 (8-17 build) is just fine. There does appear that some samples of the 2016 versions (first year, in particular) are afflicted with hesitation and exhaust resonance issues. Hard to tell that these issues are wide spread or just related to the concerns of a few repeat (i.e., persistent) posters here. Consumers Report, which keeps a large and statistically significant database on reliability issues has not cited any big problems in these areas (or any other for that matter) for the Gen. 4 RX. The samples of the RX 350, RX 450, and F-Sport that I test drove before purchase were just lovely. The purchase of an RX 450 has been offered as a means to bypass the claimed problems for the RX 350, but this will incur greater cost, complexity, and some hybrid-associated moaning sound while accelerating up a grade or when decelerating rapidly. Because you plan to buy a vehicle of recent or future construction, do your homework and test drive the very samples that you are considering for purchase. That is what I did.

Happy hunting.
Old 11-07-17 | 05:26 PM
yangli2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koetsu
My 2017 RX350 (8-17 build) is just fine. There does appear that some samples of the 2016 versions (first year, in particular) are afflicted with hesitation and exhaust resonance issues. Hard to tell that these issues are wide spread or just related to the concerns of a few repeat (i.e., persistent) posters here. Consumers Report, which keeps a large and statistically significant database on reliability issues has not cited any big problems in these areas (or any other for that matter) for the Gen. 4 RX. The samples of the RX 350, RX 450, and F-Sport that I test drove before purchase were just lovely. The purchase of an RX 450 has been offered as a means to bypass the claimed problems for the RX 350, but this will incur greater cost, complexity, and some hybrid-associated moaning sound while accelerating up a grade or when decelerating rapidly. Because you plan to buy a vehicle of recent or future construction, do your homework and test drive the very samples that you are considering for purchase. That is what I did.

Happy hunting.
I am also actively considering an RX, went back and forth between the 350 and 450h. Test drove both and liked them equally. I initially planned to go with the 450h for the almost instant torque at the low-end and potential gas savings; but since I plan to lease for 3 years, the real-world mpg/potentially cost savings doesn't really offset the extra vehicle cost. Having said that, I am (maybe was) ready to go with the RX350 this weekend (actual vehicle/color combo is on its way to the dealership), but having read the EXTENSIVE posts on the vibration and hesitation issues, I'm not sure on whether to get it or just pull the plug. My friend has an early 2017 (Japan-build) and is problem-free; not sure if the issues are unique to the Cambridge/Ontario plant-built vehicles, or maybe they have quietly resolved some of the hesitation and vibration issues. Decisions, decisions....
Old 11-07-17 | 05:31 PM
JSracer
Instructor

I drove a few new 17s, under 50 miles on them. I felt the steering wheel vibration in a couple of them, the few others were fine.
I bought the 450h to avoid anything. As far as noise, didn't notice anything on my lux demo 450h I was given and I put over 200 miles on. I was looking at a lux loaded 350, so a 450 was not much more money. If I was looking at a non nav or nav 350, yes the cost gap would have been much more.
These were all driven over the last few weeks. Waiting for my 450 to be built and delivered.
Hope this helps, it's not just a noise, but a very noticeable steering wheel vibrant also. I felt it more than heard it on the test drive. My wife also easily felt the wheel vibration also.

Last edited by JSracer; 11-09-17 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-08-17 | 10:29 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by yangli2007
I am also actively considering an RX, went back and forth between the 350 and 450h. Test drove both and liked them equally. I initially planned to go with the 450h for the almost instant torque at the low-end and potential gas savings; but since I plan to lease for 3 years, the real-world mpg/potentially cost savings doesn't really offset the extra vehicle cost. Having said that, I am (maybe was) ready to go with the RX350 this weekend (actual vehicle/color combo is on its way to the dealership), but having read the EXTENSIVE posts on the vibration and hesitation issues, I'm not sure on whether to get it or just pull the plug. My friend has an early 2017 (Japan-build) and is problem-free; not sure if the issues are unique to the Cambridge/Ontario plant-built vehicles, or maybe they have quietly resolved some of the hesitation and vibration issues. Decisions, decisions....
Also consider that you will recover a lot of the hybrid cost when you return the vehicle. And remember the hybrid includes many features as standard when compared to the regular 350. Don't become one of the unfortunate members on the vibration and hesitation thread!
Old 11-08-17 | 10:47 AM
yangli2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Also consider that you will recover a lot of the hybrid cost when you return the vehicle. And remember the hybrid includes many features as standard when compared to the regular 350. Don't become one of the unfortunate members on the vibration and hesitation thread!
You read my mind, I'm seriously considering going back to the RX450h (if the sales manager is still willing to get one for me; the RX350 I had in mind is already "diverted" to his dealership from the port). Seems to be a hit or miss with the RX350; not sure if I want to gamble with the vibration/hesitation "lottery"...
Old 11-08-17 | 12:02 PM
JSracer
Instructor

I passed on the gamble myself. It honestly concerned me, and in the options we were looking it wasn't much more than the 350. My dealer was aware of some complaints, and said they were working on a fix but could make no promises. As a 25 year master mechanic, it would drive me insane if there was a vibration knowing not all had it. They don't seem to discount the ones that do shake the steering wheel like a paint mixer.
there are 450 out there, depending on options wanted, they are still building them too. Mine is being built the end of the month, it had the options I wanted and then some, in the colors I wanted. I was also able to add simple stuff, hitch, mudflaps, side moldings in port to before, so not dealer installed.
Old 11-08-17 | 08:06 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JSracer
I drove a few new 17s, under 50cmiles on them. I felt the steering wheel vibration in a couple of them, the few others were fine.
I bought the 450h to avoid anything. As far as noise, didn't notice anything on my lux demo 450h I was given and I put over 200 miles on. I was looking at a lux loaded 350, so a 450 was not much more money. If I was looking at a non nav or nav 350, yes the cost gap would have been much more.
These were all driven over the last few weeks. Waiting for my 450 to be built and delivered.
Hope this helps, it's not just a noise, but a very noticeable steering wheen vibrant also. I felt it more than heard it on the test drive. My wife also easily felt the wheel vibration also.
I'm surprised nobody at the dealership told you that the "steering wheel vibration" just means the LANE DEPARTURE ALERT WITH STEERING ASSIST is turned on. I had it on both my '16 350 and 450h, and now on my '17 450h F Sport. It's awesome...and just part of the "Lexus Safety System" You can check this out a YouTube demo at...

Last edited by winsalem; 11-08-17 at 08:30 PM. Reason: to clarify the YouTube video
Old 11-09-17 | 03:27 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by winsalem
I'm surprised nobody at the dealership told you that the "steering wheel vibration" just means the LANE DEPARTURE ALERT WITH STEERING ASSIST is turned on. I had it on both my '16 350 and 450h, and now on my '17 450h F Sport. It's awesome...and just part of the "Lexus Safety System" You can check this out a YouTube demo at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ANSrQ8vSM
Definitely not the lane departure, good guess though and worth a shot. i am fully aware what the lane departure feels like since i asked my wife jokingly if this thing keeps score. lol
i am a 25 year master mechanic so i have been around cars a day or 2. this vibration is low rpm higher load. just at tip in of the throttle, the steering wheel shakes. could be exhaust, torque converter shudder, something along those lines. Something not easily fixed, or lexus would have addressed it already..

Last edited by JSracer; 11-09-17 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-09-17 | 10:08 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JSracer
Definitely not the lane departure, good guess though and worth a shot. i am fully aware what the lane departure feels like since i asked my wife jokingly if this thing keeps score. lol
i am a 25 year master mechanic so i have been around cars a day or 2. this vibration is low rpm higher load. just at tip in of the throttle, the steering wheel shakes. could be exhaust, torque converter shudder, something along those lines. Something not easily fixed, or lexus would have addressed it already..
A car this new and technologically advanced, and so expensive shouldn't be vibrating like your guys described, perhaps something went wrong on the assembly line or there is a design flaw in one of the car components. I hope whatever is causing this can be fixed in the 2018 model which is what I am considering, not interested in car with hybrid tech at the moment, just the thought of all these complex technologies and the electronics worries me a bit(yes call me old school) about reliability. For some that are aware of the oil sludge problem in the RX300 that resulted in engine seizure which resulted in class action suit, I hope this vibration issue will not reach this point.
Old 11-09-17 | 10:59 AM
JSracer
Instructor

No chance this subtle vibration will be a class action, most probably don't think anything of it.
don't listen too much to me, I don't own one, I did order a 450 though.

I wouldn't be turned off with the 350, they sell tons every day. Just drive one. There are great deals to be found on the 17 model, probably not much Willbe descounted on an 18. Just thoughts, best with whatever you decide.

I use to do pdi , pre delivery inspections years ago, also did tons with noise vibration harshness complaints. So I am very critical compared to most, it was my job to be. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-17 | 12:44 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by dchan865
Hey guys, trying to a bit of research here and see if the new RX is the right car to buy. Owned a 1st Gen RX and its been relatively problem free for 17 years, now its time to consider the 2018 model that will last just as long as the 1st. In case someone here is active in the forum and know the issues on top of their head, can you briefly tell me what the "birth defects" are on the rx350 and whether or not there are fixes for them? IThanks!
Boom, your answer is right here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ems-guide.html
Old 11-09-17 | 03:27 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Cool. Will check it out. Thanks Ericsan!
Old 12-04-17 | 12:27 PM
pa1thak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchan865
A car this new and technologically advanced, and so expensive shouldn't be vibrating like your guys described, perhaps something went wrong on the assembly line or there is a design flaw in one of the car components. I hope whatever is causing this can be fixed in the 2018 model which is what I am considering, not interested in car with hybrid tech at the moment, just the thought of all these complex technologies and the electronics worries me a bit(yes call me old school) about reliability. For some that are aware of the oil sludge problem in the RX300 that resulted in engine seizure which resulted in class action suit, I hope this vibration issue will not reach this point.
Steer away from an RX 350. I own one (2017 RX-350) for two months now and hate the ride. It feels like you are in a 10-15 year old 4-cylinder car and to top it off the noise inside the cabin plus the low vibration feel in the center console ruins the driving experience.
Also, check out this thread for another issue/concern I had : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nk-fillup.html

Quick Reply: What are some of the "birth defects" with the RX350?