RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Full Car Bra NOT Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 10:48 AM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Full Car Bra NOT Clear Bra

Has folks had any experience and or recommendation on a Full vinyl front end bra for the RX 350 sport. Clear bras setup seems to be what folks are opting for but I like the flexibility of being able to put on for road trips/mountains and being able to remove it for local driving. I prefer not to pay or try to install a clear bra that will discolor/fade/peel/etc. over time. I still don't like seeing the film line across the vehicle permanently, but maybe that's just me. I've used Colagon in the past for my BMW X5 and it worked out great as I can remove whenever but inquiring with RX sport owners their experience. Can't seem to find an image online for our model and year but maybe everyone is getting clear bras now? Thanks.

Full Vinyl bra on Ebay
Old 04-24-18, 11:42 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You're probably having a hard time finding them because they're not very popular anymore. In my past experience, those vinyl covers tend to cause more damage due to sand and dirt getting trapped behind them. Modern paint protection films done by a professional installer do not yellow or peel over time. I've had 3M on a 2010 vehicle without any problems (and that car is white). I also don't like seeing the line on the hood, so the way around that is to cover the whole hood in PPF.
Old 04-24-18, 12:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

For me, the paint protection film is the way to go.

In the last few years, it has become more common to cover more area with paint protection film. The package that I have on my ES includes the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, door handle cups, and door edges. Some will also cover the A pillars and leading edge of the roof. By covering the full hood and full fenders, you are adding protection to vulnerable areas, and you eliminate the ugly lines where the paint protection film ends. Except upon very close inspection, you wouldn't know that the film is on the car.

High quality modern paint protection film products should not yellow, are self healing, and don't allow for things like tree sap and bird droppings to damage the paint. A high quality complete paint protection film package with professional installation won't be cheap, but it is, to me, worth the price for the protection that it gives the vehicle.

Over the years, I've used many of the products like Cologan bras that you are looking at, and I still have one for my older (2005) GX) but, for any new cars that I get, going with paint protection film is an easy choice.
Old 04-24-18, 02:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

kvtram, there's more grill than bumper on the 4RX . It would be hard to cover the limited painted surfaces. I had a front end mask on my 1RX. Lexus made it. It did catch dirt underneath and caused damage to the hood when a hook came loose. I also had to replace it because of stretching.

Clear bras are much better now with extensive warranties. They're maintained just like the paint. Plus the edges can be wrapped - no visible lines. That's what I did with my hood. The downside is the expense. Another alternative is a temporary clear bra. Spray it on the areas you want to protect . Then after your trip peel it off. Search CL, there's plenty of threads about it.
Old 04-24-18, 07:09 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

These bra will scratches paint over time by correcting dust and small debris underneath.
Old 04-26-18, 08:06 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

I understand where the OP is coming from as I have had bras on previous vehicles. My wife used to take a route where gravel haulers were ever present and PPF simply could not take the hits as well as a vinyl bra. I prefer PPF, but for long road trips and conditions as previously mentioned, there is a place for a bra versus PPF. I would be interested to see what Colgan has designed for the 4th Gen RX as I've never seen one on the road.
Old 04-27-18, 08:23 PM
hypermyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have full front clear bra then I had detail shop apply ceramic pro so I don’t have to worry about yellowing and waxing car.
Old 04-28-18, 04:10 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

HIghly recommend against a real bra.

HIGHLY. IT traps debri and scratches the hell out of your paint and it looks SO UGLY.

PLease consider xpel as a clear bra alternative. With technology these days these babies last forever and don't yellow.

ALso there is a guarantee it will not yellow.

I Do agree in the sense that the actual bra has physical protection for longer trips but for me it's not worth it. The clear bra is not as strong as a real bra but it protects it almost as good. Hit tons of gravel from a truck and only one small piece tore my clear bra but the paint under it was fine.
Old 04-30-18, 09:31 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Consider 3M Pro Series. You can also opt for the service agreement that will cover you if anything gets through the film and damages the paint.
Old 04-30-18, 11:14 AM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroTect
Consider 3M Pro Series. You can also opt for the service agreement that will cover you if anything gets through the film and damages the paint.
The last clear bra I had was installed by AeroTect. I know you guys don't do installations anymore, but you're greatly missed.
The following users liked this post:
AeroTect (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 12:21 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, minusplus. We've always loved the Club Lexus community, and that's why we're back only in a different role. We're always happy to point you guys in the direction of a qualified installer.

- Jason

Originally Posted by minusplus
The last clear bra I had was installed by AeroTect. I know you guys don't do installations anymore, but you're greatly missed.
Old 04-30-18, 01:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz

kvtram, there's more grill than bumper on the 4RX . It would be hard to cover the limited painted surfaces. I had a front end mask on my 1RX. Lexus made it. It did catch dirt underneath and caused damage to the hood when a hook came loose. I also had to replace it because of stretching.

Clear bras are much better now with extensive warranties. They're maintained just like the paint. Plus the edges can be wrapped - no visible lines. That's what I did with my hood. The downside is the expense. Another alternative is a temporary clear bra. Spray it on the areas you want to protect . Then after your trip peel it off. Search CL, there's plenty of threads about it.
WOW Anita, your 1RX looks stunning!

I added the 3M Defender (spray on bra) on my IS and NX and it's fine for 18 months or so then shows its discoloration. It's also tricky to apply and a pain to remove if not applied thick enough. But apply it too thick and drips will form... I was happy with it but it's not for the novice DIYer...

OP, agree with everyone here. Clear bra is the way to go for all the reasons mentioned, but if you were fine with your BMW removing and placing on the traditional bra when needed, I see no harm in getting the traditional one.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-18, 06:25 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

[QUOTE=corradoMR2;10187025]WOW Anita, your 1RX looks stunning!

I added the 3M Defender (spray on bra) on my IS and NX and it's fine for 18 months or so then shows its discoloration. It's also tricky to apply and a pain to remove if not applied thick enough. But apply it too thick and drips will form... I was happy with it but it's not for the novice DIYer...

I like the sound of this stuff, hadn't seen it until a couple of weeks ago in a car parts store. I was assuming it's not much good as I never seen anything mentioned anywhere when researching clear bra films. In Australia they want around $1200.00 to apply film to just the front of car (including only a strip across hood) and as I'm a bit of a tightarse I couldn't justify the cost. This spray on stuff would be way less in cost - you say 18 months it starts to show discolouration, that would be fine, happy to reapply yearly for the few dollars it costs. How many cans did you use on the NX? Has it actually stopped chips do you think?
Old 05-02-18, 05:27 PM
azchat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 350 F Sport Bra

Does anyone know where I can get a Bra for a 2017 RX350 f Sport?
Old 05-03-18, 02:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

[QUOTE=GSFRX350;10187286]
Originally Posted by corradoMR2
WOW Anita, your 1RX looks stunning!

I like the sound of this stuff, hadn't seen it until a couple of weeks ago in a car parts store. I was assuming it's not much good as I never seen anything mentioned anywhere when researching clear bra films. In Australia they want around $1200.00 to apply film to just the front of car (including only a strip across hood) and as I'm a bit of a tightarse I couldn't justify the cost. This spray on stuff would be way less in cost - you say 18 months it starts to show discolouration, that would be fine, happy to reapply yearly for the few dollars it costs. How many cans did you use on the NX? Has it actually stopped chips do you think?

Yes, it worked well in stopping chips. I didn't have any when I peeled it off yet the film did have some scratches/chips. Same with the IS.

Discoloration and fade starts to show before the 18 months but you can gently apply wax to shine it up a bit to make it look almost like new. One downside is wet drip marks show when it rains and remains visible a couple hours after until it dries.

One can applies the three or so coats needed to do the front bumper. If you do the hood, you'll need another can. In N.Am, the can is about $20 USD. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (05-03-18)