RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20 | 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve reset it, and actually have used two different iPhones with it, and both have the issue. It also seems to want to kick back to CarPlay for audio playback at random even with your automation setup. If I get a text or something it tries to kick it to CarPlay.

Accessibility setting is set to “Bluetooth Headset” makes no difference. Still have to set it to BT every time I answer or make a call.
Old 06-23-20 | 10:24 AM
Lumburrito
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket carplay/android Use 2018 rx350

Hi! I just upgraded from my 2012 Rx350 to The 2018 model. I was hoping Lexus would’ve Updated the infotainment system (like every other company has-including their own Toyota) but it still sucks! Hard! I was reading a few threads on here where people installed an aftermarket Carplay box. The threads were from a few years ago so I’m just wondering how they’ve held up!

one of the products mentioned was from GROM https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html

the other was from aliexpress from lsailt...?? Here’s the link to the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-319-a-3.html

so if anyone has any updates on any aftermarket car play things, let me know!!!! 😃
Old 06-29-20 | 08:23 AM
ejisfun
Driver School Candidate

I just installed my carlinkit box and my joystick (along with the map, menu, back buttons) don't work at all, even in OEM menus. If I uninstall the box everything works fine again. Did anyone else have this issue? Is it a problem with the wire harness?
Old 06-29-20 | 10:08 AM
ejisfun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ejisfun
I just installed my carlinkit box and my joystick (along with the map, menu, back buttons) don't work at all, even in OEM menus. If I uninstall the box everything works fine again. Did anyone else have this issue? Is it a problem with the wire harness?
Ah the CAN control cable had come disconnected and I didn't realize. My joystick works now...but there's a new problem.

When I hold the menu button to switch into CarPlay, I hear the carlinkit box "click" and my screen freezes. It seems like it's switching to CarPlay but just not showing it on the screen. If I hold the menu button again, the screen unfreezes and works as normal again.
Old 06-29-20 | 11:45 AM
antnida
Driver School Candidate

I installed the Beat Sonic unit on my wife's 17 rx350 FSport lately I used it on a couple of long trips and tested out both my Android and iPhone. We do not receive much phone calls or txt but so far Waze and (Pandora or Spotify or iHeart radio) and summon either Google or Siri works just find. Sometimes the music volume is lowered than the Navigation volume (not sure why) but when the Navigation volume say something then the music volume become louder after the Nav announcement completed. (equal volume level for both music and Nav).

So far I would have to say that it works very well. Not perfect and no wireless option for my unit. I would say the pros outweigh the cons and I am happy with the investment.

Originally Posted by Lumburrito
Hi! I just upgraded from my 2012 Rx350 to The 2018 model. I was hoping Lexus would’ve Updated the infotainment system (like every other company has-including their own Toyota) but it still sucks! Hard! I was reading a few threads on here where people installed an aftermarket Carplay box. The threads were from a few years ago so I’m just wondering how they’ve held up!

one of the products mentioned was from GROM https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html

the other was from aliexpress from lsailt...?? Here’s the link to the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-319-a-3.html

so if anyone has any updates on any aftermarket car play things, let me know!!!! 😃
Old 06-29-20 | 06:03 PM
nightleaf
Driver School Candidate

Ah the CAN control cable had come disconnected and I didn't realize. My joystick works now...but there's a new problem.

When I hold the menu button to switch into CarPlay, I hear the carlinkit box "click" and my screen freezes. It seems like it's switching to CarPlay but just not showing it on the screen. If I hold the menu button again, the screen unfreezes and works as normal again.
Hi Ejisfun, try to hold the back button for 20 seconds to reboot the box.. I have this system installed recently and don't have your issue. Also may sure your DIP switches are set correctly.. mine are set to 2,3,5 - ON, the remainder OFF.
Old 07-11-20 | 10:42 PM
ericsan13
Racer

I just installed carlinkit and I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because I got it to work without major hiccups.

Here's what I wish I did before starting though.
  1. Fully trickle charge the 12V battery. By the time I was done messing around with carplay, the windows/moonroof/trunk were moving slowly.
  2. Get a magnetic 10mm socket. I went without one but I had a magnetic pickup tool.
  3. Get a magnetic pickup tool. If you drop a bolt or your socket falls into a hole, you'll hate life if you don't have one.
  4. You do NOT need to get a USB extension cable.
  5. You will want to buy a 6' flat lightning or usb cable to run to your glove box along the passenger side of the center console.
  6. Start on a Monday if you'd not good at this stuff. Then you can contact China at night.
  7. Park outside. Light helps and you can plug in your start stop button if you need to move your car.
Other tips and tricks that would've helped:
  1. Dipsticks 2, 3, and 5 are for 2016-2018 models. I had it originally set to 2, 4, 5 and it was not showing full screen.
  2. They don't configure the cable to support split screen display for you. Make sure to do this or your joystick will not work right. See post 464 on this thread.
  3. You do NOT need to remove your glove box. The beatsonic video will tell you to and they will do it themselves, but later they will retract their statement.
  4. You do NOT need to remove your shift ****. There is plenty of space. I wasn't able to remove my boot so I went around it.
The following users liked this post:
nightleaf (07-11-20)
Old 07-12-20 | 04:51 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Nice. Where are you storing the box?

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I just installed carlinkit and I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because I got it to work without major hiccups.

Here's what I wish I did before starting though.
  1. Fully trickle charge the 12V battery. By the time I was done messing around with carplay, the windows/moonroof/trunk were moving slowly.
  2. Get a magnetic 10mm socket. I went without one but I had a magnetic pickup tool.
  3. Get a magnetic pickup tool. If you drop a bolt or your socket falls into a hole, you'll hate life if you don't have one.
  4. You do NOT need to get a USB extension cable.
  5. You will want to buy a 6' flat lightning or usb cable to run to your glove box along the passenger side of the center console.
  6. Start on a Monday if you'd not good at this stuff. Then you can contact China at night.
  7. Park outside. Light helps and you can plug in your start stop button if you need to move your car.
Other tips and tricks that would've helped:
  1. Dipsticks 2, 3, and 5 are for 2016-2018 models. I had it originally set to 2, 4, 5 and it was not showing full screen.
  2. They don't configure the cable to support split screen display for you. Make sure to do this or your joystick will not work right. See post 464 on this thread.
  3. You do NOT need to remove your glove box. The beatsonic video will tell you to and they will do it themselves, but later they will retract their statement.
  4. You do NOT need to remove your shift ****. There is plenty of space. I wasn't able to remove my boot so I went around it.
Old 07-14-20 | 06:37 AM
ejisfun
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone show pictures of how exactly they have the wires set up to go into the glove box? I can route them in there but can't find exactly how to arrange them such that the glove box still opens and closes smoothly.

Would also be interested in more info on how to route the cables so the box can be in the center console - do you have to drill holes in bottom of the console box?
Old 07-14-20 | 06:49 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Wires are routed through the holes on the side of the glove box. The lsait unit isn't that big. You should be able to store it with long width facing outwards. I think I have a picture in this thread. Glove box closes with no issues.

Glove box

Can anyone show pictures of how exactly they have the wires set up to go into the glove box? I can route them in there but can't find exactly how to arrange them such that the glove box still opens and closes smoothly.

Would also be interested in more info on how to route the cables so the box can be in the center console - do you have to drill holes in bottom of the console box?
Old 07-20-20 | 09:48 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Nice. Where are you storing the box?
Tucked into the bottom opening behind the original unit. No issues with connectivity.
Old 07-20-20 | 10:21 AM
PotOdds
Driver

Unfortunately I wish I could say that the new box has been performing flawlessly, but now the issue is that when I startup the car, it will go into Lexus Map mode when connected to CarPlay. Only when I hit the physical Menu button will it change to LSAIT mode. And I no longer can access my Lexus options menu mode. Hitting the HANGUP button will only get me to Lexus Map. Then hitting MENU button will not work. Disabling power to the LSAIT box doesn't help in this case. Haven't tried unplugging car battery power yet. But right now I don't have reason to use Lexus menu options so only been going straight to CarPlay.

I wonder what the percentage of people who have installed the LSAIT unit, have had completely trouble-free operation.

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Tucked into the bottom opening behind the original unit. No issues with connectivity.
Old 07-20-20 | 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not completely trouble free, by its nature its always going to be a little screwy, but the functionality of mine outweighs the quirks.
Old 07-20-20 | 12:06 PM
PotOdds
Driver

Wireless CarPlay does outweigh the negative. As I'm planning on holding the car long term, I will work with the quirks.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not completely trouble free, by its nature its always going to be a little screwy, but the functionality of mine outweighs the quirks.
Old 07-20-20 | 06:58 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Thumbs up iOS 14 Works with Carplay

So I recently updated my iPhone to iOS 14 public beta 2, and Apple Carplay seems to be working well on my Lsailt unit. I installed my Lsailt unit back in June 2019 (about a year ago)

There is a new option for you to change your wallpaper background on your home app screen now

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350