RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 10:28 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts
Default VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up

Hi all, to make it easier to navigate, and coming from this thread, we are starting new thread for any questions related to GROM VLine VL2 Android Infotainment and Navigation System.
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex89.html

As of now VLine fits to the 2016-2019 Lexus RX350 RX450H vehicles that have OEM navigation. We are looking into the compatibility of VLine with the RX vehicles without navigation, and will keep you posted.

VLine infotainment system is the Android based car computer that fully integrates into the factory stereo of Lexus RX vehicle and display, and supports factory controls. Once VLine is installed into the vehicle, the user can access Google play store and install/use any apps available on the store (with some exceptions). That includes Google and Waze Maps, music streaming apps such as Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, WebRadio, Podcasts, SoundCloud, or any other apps of your choice. VLine also offers its own voice assistant for starting navigation or browsing the music.

In addition VLine VL2 offers smartphone integration for iPhone and Android Phone, with CarPlay and Android Auto. The connection is being done via USB.

With either CarPlay or Android Auto, or by using VLine standalone, the user gets full control over VLine with Lexus OEM controls. VLine VL2 for Lexus RX 350/450H integrates with the factory microphone for voice assistant and phone calls via CarPlay. For Android Auto, the phone calls are done via OEM bluetooth system.

VLine VL2 does not disable any factory vehicle features. You still can access your climate controls, backup camera, FM radio, and so on. There are much more into VLine VL2 functionality, but for now here it is.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex89.html

Your questions are welcome here!
The following 2 users liked this post by gromaudio:
LexNYC83 (03-08-20), PeeVee (11-04-20)
Old 02-06-20, 11:02 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will wireless carrplay be added later, or need to buy new unit for wireless carplay? Is there any installation and video showing it on RX? Thanks!
Old 02-07-20, 10:42 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by jjj666
Will wireless carrplay be added later, or need to buy new unit for wireless carplay? Is there any installation and video showing it on RX? Thanks!
We are working on Wireless version of CarPlay, and expect to release it in 2 month. However please base your purchasing decision on the current features and functionality. Once wireless CarPlay will become available, it will be done via firmware update on VLine VL2 units, there will be no need to buy a new unit.

Install video:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/lexus...t-install.html

Usage video:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/lexus...stem-demo.html

CarPlay video (older Lexus, but will give you an idea):

The following 3 users liked this post by gromaudio:
gkar (02-10-20), jjj666 (02-07-20), rxtimes2 (02-08-20)
Old 02-07-20, 01:06 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m very interested for one of these units for my 2019 RX350 FSport with Nav and Mark Levinson sound but I’ve got to see a video with iOS 13 and CarPlay.

Can you provide a video of this?

Are there any known issues with ML audio or just in general?

what is the difference in this unit versus the LSAILT unit? I’m no expert but I’ve been told that the LSAILT unit is a real Apple CarPlay feature and all of the other ones run a Bluetooth type setup. In not entirely sure what they meant but I’ve read that mentioned around this forum.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by whiteghost; 02-07-20 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (03-08-20)
Old 02-07-20, 01:58 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Your questions are welcome here!
  1. Does it activate automatically when you start your car?
  2. Do you have any videos of system booting up?
  3. Can it go directly to CarPlay?
  4. Is CarPlay full screen on the widescreen?
  5. Is it possible to switch between left pane and full screen? I.e. can you view VLine on the left of the screen and RX450h battery on the right screen?
  6. Is there a video showing how you access climate controls and other car options?
  7. Is there a video showing what the controls on the steering wheel do?
  8. Does backup camera automatically override VLine?
  9. How about panoramic camera? It turns on automatically every time the car goes under 6 mph.
Thanks!
gkar (02-11-20)
Old 02-07-20, 02:17 PM
artpvlv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost
I’m very interested for one of these units for my 2019 RX350 FSport with Nav and Mark Levinson sound but I’ve got to see a video with iOS 13 and CarPlay.

what is the difference in this unit versus the LSAILT unit? I’m no expert but I’ve been told that the LSAILT unit is a real Apple CarPlay feature and all of the other ones run a Bluetooth type setup. In not entirely sure what they meant but I’ve read that mentioned around this forum.

Thank you in advance.
same here... i want to see a video of a carplay on the 4th generation lexus rx big screen (wide mode) .
also is the vl2 device made as single unit like lsailt or 2 units like beatsonic?
Old 02-08-20, 04:52 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

We are working on Wireless version of CarPlay, and expect to release it in 2 month. However please base your purchasing decision on the current features and functionality. Once wireless CarPlay will become available, it will be done via firmware update on VLine VL2 units, there will be no need to buy a new unit.

Install video:

Usage video:

https://youtu.be/Xzh1D32tvRc
The install video is great as far as it goes. How about completing the video by showing how you secured the box, and buttoned up all of the removed items.
Old 02-10-20, 11:10 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by whiteghost

Thank you in advance.
Here is one of the CarPlay videos for the reference:

Android Auto:

Here are other functionality videos:
https://gromaudio.com/vline/video.html

We offer real CarPlay via USB. Per differences with LSAILT, the main difference is that VLine VL2 can also work as stand alone Android unit integrated with your display and controls, and the apps from Google Play can run directly on VLine VL2 (such as Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Pandora, etc...), without the need for the phone at all. You can also add front facing camera to VLine, OBDII info, In addition we offer US based technical support, 18 month warranty, firmware updates when the new features are being developed.

Old 02-10-20, 11:37 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by ericsan13
  1. Does it activate automatically when you start your car?
  2. Do you have any videos of system booting up?
  3. Can it go directly to CarPlay?
  4. Is CarPlay full screen on the widescreen?
  5. Is it possible to switch between left pane and full screen? I.e. can you view VLine on the left of the screen and RX450h battery on the right screen?
  6. Is there a video showing how you access climate controls and other car options?
  7. Is there a video showing what the controls on the steering wheel do?
  8. Does backup camera automatically override VLine?
  9. How about panoramic camera? It turns on automatically every time the car goes under 6 mph.
Thanks!
1. Yes it activates automatically when you start your car.
2. Sure, see here:
View this post on Instagram

In general you can go to our YouTube channel https://youtube.com/gromaudio and see many videos of VLine and how it works, as well as install videos.

3. yes it will go directly to CarPlay, if the last what you were doing on VLine is the CarPlay. Note that currently you need to connect your phone to VLine via USB for CarPlay.
4. Yes it is full screen.
5. No, it is not possible - CarPlay will take over full screen.
6. Yes there is, please check the clip here:
View this post on Instagram

We also show it in many of our videos on YouTube channel.
7. The steering wheel controls change the tracks of the playable music - backward and forward. We do not have the clip for this specific function, but we will make one shortly.
8. Yes the backup camera automatically overrides VLine.
9. All your factory functions will remain working the same they always did, after the install of VLine.

Thank you.
ericsan13 (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 11:41 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by artpvlv
same here... i want to see a video of a carplay on the 4th generation lexus rx big screen (wide mode) .
also is the vl2 device made as single unit like lsailt or 2 units like beatsonic?
It is a single unit.
Old 02-10-20, 11:55 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry for hijacking the thread.. but any plans to support gx460 2016+ with nav?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-20, 05:31 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the video but we want a video showing it working on a new later model RX with the larger screen not some model year 2011.

I think you’ll appeal to much larger group! 👍🏻

Last edited by whiteghost; 02-11-20 at 05:57 AM.
curtind1 (05-24-20)
Old 02-11-20, 07:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Per differences with LSAILT, the main difference is that VLine VL2 can also work as stand alone Android unit integrated with your display and controls, and the apps from Google Play can run directly on VLine VL2 (such as Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Pandora, etc...), without the need for the phone at all. You can also add front facing camera to VLine, OBDII info, In addition we offer US based technical support, 18 month warranty, firmware updates when the new features are being developed.
Just FYI but the LSAILT unit is also a stand alone android unit with all that same functionality without a phone attached.
Old 02-12-20, 10:45 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
Sorry for hijacking the thread.. but any plans to support gx460 2016+ with nav?

Thanks!
Yes we have plans supporting GX460 2016+, and looking to release the product around May 2020. Please sign up for our notifications at https://bit.ly/vline_interest to receive an update once VLine is released for this vehicle.
tipsytopsy (02-12-20)
Old 02-13-20, 10:21 PM
rokayjon
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Install video:

Usage video:

https://youtu.be/Xzh1D32tvRc
When I called to order my VLine2, I told the girl that I was waiting for the wireless carplay to come out and just wanted info on it... I was told that they had given up on the Wireless Carplay idea as they were running into too many issues/bugs -- so I bought the VLINE2. Just a few days later I see that GROM is posting that they are still working on the Wireless Carplay version?

Last edited by rokayjon; 02-13-20 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up