RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

What happens to navigation after 3 year trial?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23 | 09:15 AM
minion
4th Gear

Default What happens to navigation after 3 year trial?

If I don't subscribe to cloud navigation after 3 yrs trial period, will I be able to still use navigation?

I'll be taking the car to national parks, where there is no cell/network connectivity. I'm guessing the basic nav system will still be operational. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-23 | 11:55 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

I believe the answer is a solid no. You will need the subscription to use the in dash Lexus Nav.
Old 02-27-23 | 01:26 PM
minion
4th Gear

Below is some info I found
https://support.lexus.com/s/article/...vigation-10847

Will my Cloud Navigation feature work if I get lost in an area with no network connection?

The Cloud Navigation feature downloads the latest map information when network connectivity is available. When entering an area with limited or no connectivity you will still be able to use route guidance and view your location on the map information.

Is "route guidance" not sufficient to get to a place?
Old 02-27-23 | 03:33 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hugsmindy
I believe the answer is a solid no. You will need the subscription to use the in dash Lexus Nav.
What a rip off ! I've never had to pay for navigation.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDLGX:
Carfan94 (01-13-24), CCGS (09-24-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 08:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ronn1
The answer is WAZE.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Klamalama (03-12-23), LindyLu (03-15-23), LuckyL (10-02-23), WellsB (11-24-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 08:48 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Yes but Waze has ads. Lexus really should offer a one time buyout of all US maps, no updates or real time traffic without the subscription, but at least that buyout would keep the nav functional "as is".
Old 02-28-23 | 10:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Many manufacturers moving toward paid subscriptions for certain options, They all want more of our hard earned money
Old 02-28-23 | 12:55 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by minion
If I don't subscribe to cloud navigation after 3 yrs trial period, will I be able to still use navigation?

I'll be taking the car to national parks, where there is no cell/network connectivity. I'm guessing the basic nav system will still be operational. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.
I can’t speak for this generation, but prior models like the 2022 RX with cloud Nav would still work without a subscription. They do revert to the data set they had at the date of manufacture once the trial expires though. It is certainly possible this new Gen won’t operate without a subscription but I would be very surprised. Member @mcomer can clarify this.

EDIT: I should also point out that you can still purchase a map update (for the data stored onboard) just like you did for pre cloud-based Nav units. I have done this for my 2019 ES with cloud-based Nav.

Last edited by TechNut; 03-01-23 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-28-23 | 03:38 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Indeed, I think that is what happens. As long as you use the nav in locations you have been to before (and therefore downloaded the maps for), it continues to work without the subscription. If you make a trip to a new locale without the subscription, you won't be able to get the maps for that. And of course you don't get updates. It would be a stretch for them to make a head unit that had to authenticate to a subscription server periodically to make sure you were paid up, to use the nav. And if those servers suffered an outage, the nav head units in every single one of their cars (even with paid subscriptions), would fail to operate all at once.
Old 03-12-23 | 08:16 AM
ioneldinu
Driver School Candidate

Default Does Navigation system require monthly subscription?

I do have a question for the owners of the 2023 Lexus RX 350; Does the Navigation system require a monthly subscription fee?
I was told at a Lexus dealership.
Old 03-12-23 | 08:45 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ioneldinu
I do have a question for the owners of the 2023 Lexus RX 350; Does the Navigation system require a monthly subscription fee?
I was told at a Lexus dealership.
As described in various places, including in this thread. 3 years are included.
Old 03-19-23 | 06:37 PM
Abombaci
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by minion

Thanks.
Use GoogleMaps on your phone, where you can download any map area you want. And use it without cellular signal
The following users liked this post:
DaveLissa (09-30-23)
Old 03-20-23 | 01:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ronn1
Welcome to the new world. I suspect that the Apple Maps and its navigation would still work fine also.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-20-23 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-20-23 | 03:27 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Welcome to the new world. I suspect that the Apple Maps and its navigation would still work fine also.
I think we’re gonna hafta pay for some sort of subscription for the app and Digital Key to work. Perhaps other features will be disabled without paying.

I don’t like it either. But it reminds me of an old uncle who swore he’d never pay for TV, but later died after spending his last 20 years watching $200/month Comcast.
Old 03-20-23 | 04:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daryll40
I think we’re gonna hafta pay for some sort of subscription for the app and Digital Key to work. Perhaps other features will be disabled without paying.

I don’t like it either. But it reminds me of an old uncle who swore he’d never pay for TV, but later died after spending his last 20 years watching $200/month Comcast.
Does not bother me one way or another. 3 years is a long way off and I usually would have traded by then. XFinity has me hooked, too. One day I will join the rest of America and dump XFinity except for their Internet. Their speed is unrivaled and will keep them for security cameras and internet streaming.

Quick Reply: What happens to navigation after 3 year trial?