RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Front Dash Cam Recommendations - Do You have One You Recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 04:06 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 516 Likes on 386 Posts
Default Lexus Dash Cam Operation

Does the Lexus DashCam continuously record in a loop with the ignition on?
Old 01-06-24, 11:55 PM
bdar999
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse box

Hello all,

I am interested in adding the dashcam. How do you put the fuse box back after the installation? Looks like after combining/adding the fuse, you can't completely close the fuse box back again.

Last edited by bdar999; 01-07-24 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-07-24, 09:36 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes it continuously records and for like 2 minutes after you park and turn off the car.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 10:27 PM
bdar999
5th Gear

Question Hard wired dash cam installation

Hi all,

I am interested in adding the dashcam. I want it hard wired to the fuse box. I notice the fuse box has a cover and the gap between the cover and the fuse itself is too close. I am afraid I cannot close/use the fuse box cover anymore after the dashcam installation due to the dashcam wire. How do guys take care of this? Are you still able to close the fuse box cover?
Old 01-08-24, 10:02 PM
bdar999
5th Gear

Question Hard wired dash cam installation

Hi all,

I am interested in adding the dashcam. I want it hard wired to the fuse box. I notice the fuse box has a cover and the gap between the cover and the fuse itself is too close. I am afraid I cannot close/use the fuse box cover anymore after the dashcam installation due to the dashcam wire. How do guys take care of this? Are you still able to close the fuse box cover?

Old 01-11-24, 01:47 PM
tck168
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bdar999
Hi all,

I use a Vantrue OBD kit(2nd Gen), which it will cut off power if it dropped below your set voltage just like the hardwire kit minus the hardware part. 🤭
Old 01-11-24, 06:23 PM
fordvferrari
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was ready to install a Viofo dash cam in my new RX450h+ until I read the posts here about the Fitcamx dash cam. I have used Viofo dash cams in multiple vehicles and I have been very pleased with the features and performance. This time, I wanted something easier to install and something that looked OEM but still had the quality and features. I considered the Toyota/Lexus OEM dash cam. I was put-off by the cost of the camera, specs that are not as good as some aftermarket dash cams and by my local Lexus dealership’s complete lack of knowledge about the product. The Toyota/Lexus dash cam is not unique to the RX and in my opinion, despite being OEM, it looks like an aftermarket add-on. I can understand how some Lexus owners might prefer an OEM product installed by a Lexus dealer. If the OEM dash cam came with your RX or was added by the dealer, I don’t think you need to replace it.

The Fitcamx is a stealthy camera that looks more OEM than the OEM product. The Fitcamx dash cam kits are not generic. The dash cam kit that I installed is unique to the 2023-2024 RX. It has the quality and features comparable to the Viofo and other quality dash cams. The Fitcamx people were knowledgeable about their product and fast to respond to questions. Installation was incredibly simple. Video instructions are available on their website. All parts are included and other than the tool included in the kit to remove The RX trim, no other tools were needed. My time to install was maybe 45 minutes. There is no exposed wiring, no adhesive mounting and no fuse block to tap for power.

Note - if you want to use the parking mode, like other dash cams with that feature, you will have to tap the fuse block for power.
The following 2 users liked this post by fordvferrari:
djrees (01-14-24), StefanoS (01-16-24)
Old 01-14-24, 04:06 PM
Br6ad
9th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FitCamx 2023 RX500h

2023 RX500H FitCamx install

I have been reading about the FitCamx camera and after reading reviews on amazon it was unclear that this product would work. A couple of the reviews specifically stated that it did not fit their rx350 or rx500h. I decided to order the front/rear camera bundle and see for myself if it would work. Long story short, it does fit and work fine. I just got done installing it today and it is working as described and I have added some pics. The first 3 pics are the original trim pieces to show the tabs that are used to hold them in place. The other pics are of the final install. The trim pieces came off fairly easy. The first trim piece, long/skinny, has a "hook" on the drivers side. It is easy if you pop the passenger side down first and then it should come out easy with the tab rotating down as you pull it. The second piece pulls off very easy. The 3rd large piece pulls down towards the hood with a little force, nothing crazy. The FitCamx trim piece with the camera is a little tricky since you can't see the mounting tabs. It is a bit of a guessing game but after a few minutes I was able to get it in place. You have to remove the insert on the 2nd trim piece to give room to mount it around the mirror shaft. I took a sharp razor blade and cut the 5 small tabs off to remove the inner piece. I routed the rear camera cable to the passenger side and it tucks into the headliner easily. I did pull the top of the seat belt trim piece back about an inch to route it to the back seat area. It then continues to tuck into the headliner all the way to the back. I pulled the rear cargo trim piece off and was able to route the cable through the rubber sleeve that is visible when the cargo door is open in order to mount the camera to the rear glass.
See below for pics
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Br6ad; 01-14-24 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add link
The following 6 users liked this post by Br6ad:
2023RX350PP (01-14-24), aeromarkco (01-14-24), CCGS (01-14-24), coolbrazz (02-22-24), Ganoush (06-14-24), uwdilci (01-18-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-24, 01:19 AM
merkelhoang
1st Gear

Default Vantrue N4 Dashcam Fusebox hardwire

Has anyone hardwired installed a Vantrue N4 dashcam in their Lexus RX 350 and if so which fuses did you tap into for constant power(red wire) and for ACC(yellow wire)?
Old 02-15-24, 12:01 PM
Kubiedo
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merkelhoang
Has anyone hardwired installed a Vantrue N4 dashcam in their Lexus RX 350 and if so which fuses did you tap into for constant power(red wire) and for ACC(yellow wire)?
I just use an adapter that proxies one of the plugs under the mirror. It powers my cam perfectly (but I don't have it on constant, only when I start the car)
Old 02-21-24, 01:53 PM
2023RX350
6th Gear

Default DIY Lexus OEM Dash Cam install

Has anyone installed the Lexus OEM Dash cam by themself?

Curious if this is easy enough to tackle which I think it is.
Old 02-21-24, 05:19 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2023RX350
Has anyone installed the Lexus OEM Dash cam by themself?

Curious if this is easy enough to tackle which I think it is.
I have done it, the 5th Gen is easier, you will need a OEM Y harness conector that you can plug your OEM dash cam. The 4 Gen is a bit more complicated but it can be done, time consuming thought.
Old 02-21-24, 08:07 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

If you install the Lexus OEM yourself it won't have the 1 year Lexus warranty.
Old 02-21-24, 08:16 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
If you install the Lexus OEM yourself it won't have the 1 year Lexus warranty.
That didn’t matter, I’ve owned a couple RXs, I just move the OEM dash to the new vehicle, dash cam works as new.
Old 02-22-24, 07:00 AM
2023RX350
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Makool
I have done it, the 5th Gen is easier, you will need a OEM Y harness conector that you can plug your OEM dash cam. The 4 Gen is a bit more complicated but it can be done, time consuming thought.
I hope to get my Gen 5 RX soon. I watched the ES install of the OEM dash and he had to remove the front cabin light to get into the harness. Did you have to do that? FitcamX dash cam didn't need that. Just need to remove the cover behind the rearview mirror.

Quick Reply: Front Dash Cam Recommendations - Do You have One You Recommend?