RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Front Dash Cam Recommendations - Do You have One You Recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 06:54 AM
Sparkling
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
This Reddit post may be helpful to some of you wondering about the wiring: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus/comme...ew_mirror_tap/
That's a really helpful picture. Thanks! It looks like it is a 10-pin, on the left hand side, with the purple, yellow, and green wires. There might be one on the right hand side (which is how a lot of Toyotas are) but I can't see the plug for the one on the right. I'll track that thread for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (07-18-23)
Old 07-18-23, 10:15 AM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkling
I'm in the same board as you, waiting on my 350h Luxury. I think it's likely going to be the 10-pin. That's what the Gen 4 RX uses and a lot of newer Toyotas use the 10-pin (I have a 2022 and 2021 Priuses and both use the 10-pin. The only thing I'm worried about is the compatibility with a digital mirror. On the 12-pin page, it says not to plug it into a Safety Sense computer and that it's not compatible with a digital mirror. My Priuses both have the 10-pin plugged into the Safety Sense systems and are fine but the digital mirror is a concern. Until someone pulls the panel off the 5th gen RX, we'll have to wait. The 10-pins were out of stock on Dongar's site for a long time (and Amazon is still out of stock) but I think their stock issues seem to have gotten better since last year.
Originally Posted by Urlik
This Reddit post may be helpful to some of you wondering about the wiring: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus/comme...ew_mirror_tap/
All good information, thanks for the replies. I am also concerned about the digital mirror and will probably hold off purchasing any Y adapter until I take delivery of the vehicle and can verify whether either a 10 or 12 pin is needed. And there is also the chance that the Dongar adapters won't work at all with the digital mirror. I guess that there is really only one way to find out- give it a try. Otherwise, routing the power supply cable to a fuse box will be the only other option.
Old 07-18-23, 10:38 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

This is the part #, Manufacturer Part Number
PT949-48210 that was used when Lexus installed their integrated dash cam to my 350h. Not sure how many pins it had but maybe you can look this one up or cross reference with an alternate.
Old 07-18-23, 01:13 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Originally Posted by jahnjva
This is the part #, Manufacturer Part Number
PT949-48210 that was used when Lexus installed their integrated dash cam to my 350h. Not sure how many pins it had but maybe you can look this one up or cross reference with an alternate.
Thanks for the part number. I have already researched it quite a bit and still cannot determine how many pins it has. I am going to see if my local dealer has that part and if so, all it will take is a quick look at it. It does look like the male camera power end on this part is specific to the OEM camera and I don't know if I could modify it to the barrel jack needed for the Blackvue.

Does your 350h have the digital rearview camera?
Old 07-18-23, 01:23 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

No unfortunately Lexus doesn't offer one and also mine is only 1080 not 4K. Lexus is behind the times. Other than those 2 points the camera performs well. The image is clear but you can only clearly read a license plate if the car is directly in front or close. If it was 4K I'm sure the distance could be increased. The installation is great though, no wires anywhere.
Old 07-18-23, 07:43 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

No unfortunately Lexus doesn't offer one and also mine is only 1080 not 4K. Lexus is behind the times. Other than those 2 points the camera performs well. The image is clear but you can only clearly read a license plate if the car is directly in front or close. If it was 4K I'm sure the distance could be increased. The installation is great though, no wires anywhere.
I'm sorry, that wasn't the question that I meant to ask! What I meant to ask is does your vehicle have the optional digital rear vier MIRROR? There is a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not a Y adapter to power a dash cam will work with the digital mirror. Sorry for the brain fart.......
Old 07-18-23, 08:05 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Yes my vehicle does have the digital rear view mirror.
Old 07-19-23, 05:42 AM
skm8159
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcam hookup - 23 RX350 Luxury

Originally Posted by BLUKTY2
All good information, thanks for the replies. I am also concerned about the digital mirror and will probably hold off purchasing any Y adapter until I take delivery of the vehicle and can verify whether either a 10 or 12 pin is needed. And there is also the chance that the Dongar adapters won't work at all with the digital mirror. I guess that there is really only one way to find out- give it a try. Otherwise, routing the power supply cable to a fuse box will be the only other option.
Hello. Good information and pic on whats behind the rear view mirror. I have the Digital mirror also. Bought Front and Rear Garmin dash cams. Looking for best way to hook into power, preferably behind the rear view mirror. Thinking of taking to installer where they have access to Y adapters, without needing to tap into fusebox.
Old 07-19-23, 12:16 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Yes my vehicle does have the digital rear view mirror.
Thank you! This is excellent news for those of us wanting to tap into the power at the mirror. It sure seems to me that if the OEM camera can be powered by a Y adapter from this location, any 12v dash cam can be powered from there as well without any issues. Now we just need to figure out if the plug is a 10 or 12 pin. I will continue to research it and post back when I have a definite answer. This may take me a few weeks.
Old 07-25-23, 10:13 AM
BLUKTY2
Driver

I don't know how I missed it earlier in my research but obviously I did miss it! Part number PT94948210 is a 10 pin connector. I am planning on using this adapter to power my dash cam if I can figure out a way to modify the camera power plug to a barrel jack.
Old 07-27-23, 03:38 AM
jvec2000
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Rheummd
Hi - I had the Lexus OEM dashcam installed on my '23 RX350h last week. I was the 1st car that the dealership did an install on. They asked if they could video it and post on social media.
The dashcam retails at $315 and there is a harness for $34 - they did not know about this so did not charge me for it.
Quoted $169 for install. Later told it should have been more since a more involved install ??
I used the Costco 50% off parts/accessories coupon I got from Costco since is went through them.

So $172 for camera plus $169 plus tax - $370 out the door. I don't think it took them that long.

- They installed on the right side of the rearview camera - I questioned why and they said it could not go on the left due to some sensor or heating element on the left side. It is not in the way and don't see it unless I lean over, but easy to reach if I need to press any buttons.
- So far happy with functioning. It's not 4k but does the job and looks professionally installed.
- Has a 16gb industrial grade memory card which works and it just re-writes over older files. You can up grade it up to 128GB if you want. Easy to pull out and replace.
- Wish it had a rearview camera.
- Takes 2 trials to connect to it using iPhone and long to download files/clips. Faster to pull out the card and transfer to computer if you really need a clip.
- Overall very happy with it and was a great deal using the Costco coupon. If any of you use Costco don't forget about it. You have to do a post purchase survey they send to get that coupon.

Can you please tell me how to get coupon? I have the Costco. I don’t know how to do post purchase survey to get coupon. Thanks
Old 07-27-23, 09:16 AM
BLUKTY2
Driver

The video that the dealership made of the install would be very beneficial to see. Does anyone know if this video has been posted yet?
Old 09-03-23, 09:53 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
$475 plus tax and a rental while the work is being done.

They already called and said they can not install on the driver side so I told them to forget it.

After thinking about it for few minutes, I called them back and told them to go ahead as it is still worth it to have this protection.

Front and rear dash cams should be built in at the factory. It would maybe add a couple hundred bucks . . . . .
Agreed, with all the tech why not?
The following users liked this post:
2023RX350PP (09-06-23)
Old 09-04-23, 03:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 505 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by CCGS
Agreed, with all the tech why not?
Seems the power cord provided with the camera is not long enough . . . .
Old 09-04-23, 07:09 AM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Seems the power cord provided with the camera is not long enough . . . .
Sorry I wasn't clear on what I was referring to, I was agreeing with the idea that the front and rear cameras should be part of the build, somewhat like the Tesla. Cheers

Quick Reply: Front Dash Cam Recommendations - Do You have One You Recommend?