RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Front Dash Cam Recommendations - Do You have One You Recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 02:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 516 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by CCGS
Sorry I wasn't clear on what I was referring to, I was agreeing with the idea that the front and rear cameras should be part of the build, somewhat like the Tesla. Cheers
‘With the existing cameras on the new RX, Lexus could turn it into one heck of a security system but they don’t. All that hardware doing nothing.
The following users liked this post:
jahnjva (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 08:01 AM
Namtrac
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my new RX500h I went with the Viofo A119 Mini 2 (front camera only). I have been very happy with the video quality (2592 × 1944 @30fps) so far. I installed a 512G SD Card so I can get about 40 hours of recording time.

I didn't want to do anything evasive on the initial install so I just ran the wire around the mirror assembly and the windshield along the a pillar and connected it to the USB C port. The wire is only visible in the corner of the dashboard by the speaker but I don't really notice it anymore so I may just leave it this way instead of opening up the pillar.

Old 09-06-23, 12:05 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
‘With the existing cameras on the new RX, Lexus could turn it into one heck of a security system but they don’t. All that hardware doing nothing.
Agreed, a missed opportunity.
Old 09-22-23, 03:02 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Smart phone

Anyone here using this instead?
Old 09-24-23, 08:53 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 297 Likes on 208 Posts

Yes, this is the route I am going. I would have loved a front/rear setup hardwired, but it does not seem to be cheap or easy. I use SYGIC navigation with the dashcam option. It is nice since it is offline nav, too. https://www.sygic.com/what-is/dashcam Unfortunately, I do not know if there is a non-subscription mode anymore. I have a lifetime license that I've used in places where there are no cell phones.
tedward155 (09-24-23)
Old 09-28-23, 08:18 AM
Tommyyg
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with a dash cam from Aliexpress, looks similar to what FITCAMX sells. Came with a rain cable that you can plug directly into ACC sensor port and hardwire. I have it hardwired and it works very well. Front 4K cam is very clear but rear cam is bad but useable. Parking mode can record in timelapse mode and you can set the time intervals you want it to record for it. Doesn't have any settings where you can set the voltage cut off though. Connecting it to Wi-Fi is fast and app is easy to use. Paid around $100US

Last edited by Tommyyg; 09-28-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-28-23, 08:25 AM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyyg
I went with a dash cam from Aliexpress, looks similar to what FITCAMX sells. Came with a rain cable that you can plug directly into ACC sensor port and hardwire. I have it hardwired and it works very well. Front 4K cam is very clear but rear cam is bad but useable. Parking mode can record in timelapse mode and you can set the time intervals you want it to record for it. Doesn't have any settings where you can set the voltage cut off though. Connecting it to Wi-Fi is very easy and fast and app is easy to use. Paid around $100US

Thanks for sharing, did you install yourself, the purchase price was cheap enough.
Tommyyg (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 08:34 AM
Tommyyg
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCGS
Thanks for sharing, did you install yourself, the purchase price was cheap enough.
Yes, me and my dad installed it. Took about 1 hour overall. Started by removing ACC sensor housing cover and replacing it with dash cam cover, next removed A pillar to route cables behind air bag and rear cam cables to the back and putting it through the rubber boot that holds the cables (which I found was the hardest part). Hardwired it to dome fuse slot for constant power and empty fuse slot for ACC power.

Last edited by Tommyyg; 09-28-23 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tommyyg:
CCGS (09-28-23), JollyRory (08-11-24)
Old 10-11-23, 08:47 AM
guyver
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I searched a few dealership websites to see if any of the RX's had any dashcams from the factory. I remember I found a few before, but never paid attention. Harder to find pictures of the actual RX, instead of stock pics. Took a good bit of searching, but found one RX in Las Vegas with the dashcam installed on the right (passenger) side, it seems.

https://www.lexusoflasvegas.com/inve...amba3pc015316/

Dashcam
$375
  • The Integrated Lexus Dashcam is designed to reliably capture video images sound and location data while you operate your vehicle. It is designed to begin recording upon ignition to capture drive or on impact whether moving or while parked. Features include:Playback or video download is available via Smartphone App or PC toolOnce downloaded you can also share these videos on your social media channelsIncludes a 16GB Industrial Grade Micro SD memory card

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Why is that the Lexus brochures show the cam on the driver side yet dealers claim they cannot install it that way?
Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I asked the same. Even printed the picture and showed the service rep. They have no answers. All I can think is the power cord is too short to get to the place where there is power, I don’t know. The rain sensor is on the right side of the rear view mirror so it will be way to the right of the driver. Why put the emergency button on it when it is so far away?

Sometime life does not seem fair, but in the scheme of things, this is only a small problem. Things can always be worst!
Old 10-11-23, 12:14 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I used the Toyota power adapter #PT949-48210 to tap into a wiring harness inside the rear view mirror housing to power a Blackvue dash cam. This part is a 10 pin connector and it plugs into the harness found on the LEFT (drivers) side of the mirror housing. I needed to modify the adapter by removing the existing camera power plug and replacing it with a barrel jack that the Blackvue uses. I routed the power wire out of the right side of the housing cover and mounted the camera centered just below the housing.

I see no reason why a camera cannot be mounted on the left side of the mirror housing, so why dealers claim that this isn't possible doesn't make any sense to me at all. I do have the digital rear view mirror if this makes a difference; I really don't know if it does or not.
Old 10-13-23, 12:11 PM
chipotleking
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on anyone having the Lexus integrated dashcam? How has the experience of having it been?
Old 10-13-23, 04:51 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

I have had mine for about 6 months and its working great. I have a 2nd industrial 16GB card I use when I want to see the recording. I find viewing on a PC is easier than the phone app. (less glitchy).
CCGS (10-13-23)
Old 10-18-23, 08:02 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I have had mine for about 6 months and its working great. I have a 2nd industrial 16GB card I use when I want to see the recording. I find viewing on a PC is easier than the phone app. (less glitchy).
I've been thinking about it. The only cons I've heard is that since it's only 1080p, you can barely read the license plates. How is that?
Old 10-18-23, 01:06 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

Definitely a minus. You can read if the car is right in front of you and not moving. I also wish it had a rear facing view.
Old 10-18-23, 03:55 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

The TX has the new Lexus dash cam 2.0 as an accessory, but the RX only has the 1.0 here in Canada.

The Lexus dash 2.0 can be a 2 channel (front and rear) but is very expensive and it looks like a BlackVue model.

L

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 10-18-23 at 04:02 PM.
CCGS (08-31-24)

Quick Reply: Front Dash Cam Recommendations - Do You have One You Recommend?