RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Problem setting up multiple profiles

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 05:04 PM
trstack
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Facial recognition…where is it an even option on a 2023 RX 350 Premium+?
Old 06-17-23, 05:35 PM
trstack
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

While the Lexus Interface is a huge improvement, the driver profiles, digital key, memory position, (facial ID?) overlaps make this a mess!
It should not be this difficult to have two drivers use a damn vehicle!
The following users liked this post:
Vinkim70 (04-11-24)
Old 06-17-23, 05:42 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by trstack
While the Lexus Interface is a huge improvement, the driver profiles, digital key, memory position, (facial ID?) overlaps make this a mess!
It should not be this difficult to have two drivers use a damn vehicle!
Actually having two keys may fix the mess most of the time.
Bo15 (06-21-23)
Old 06-20-23, 12:57 PM
aeubank
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Actually having two keys may fix the mess most of the time.
Good point. Actually having a key assigned to each driver should simplify this mess. I just picked up my RX-500 yesterday and still one key.
Did not even receive 2 mechanical keys as some here have reported receiving.
Old 06-21-23, 04:15 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Our dealer specifically advised NOT to set up a second profile until key fob #2 was delivered.

We only got one mechanical key, too. will be certain to ask when the new FOB is supplied.
Bo15 (06-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 12:15 PM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to sailormike I was able to get my wife's profile working! Your detective work on facial recognition solved my problems. The key was her having the Lexus App open on her phone and looking directly at the camera just above the middle of the steering wheel until the Welcome "profile 2" message popped up. Selected profile changed from mine to hers, seat and mirrors adjusted etc. Best part, no longer have to select her profile from settings & then enter the 6 digit pin.
Not having the second fob is really annoying but at least now it's more it's more manageable.
sailormike (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 12:29 PM
sailormike
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LARRX350
Thanks to sailormike I was able to get my wife's profile working! Your detective work on facial recognition solved my problems. The key was her having the Lexus App open on her phone and looking directly at the camera just above the middle of the steering wheel until the Welcome "profile 2" message popped up. Selected profile changed from mine to hers, seat and mirrors adjusted etc. Best part, no longer have to select her profile from settings & then enter the 6 digit pin.
Not having the second fob is really annoying but at least now it's more it's more manageable.
Glad you got it figured out. The only other thing we have not been able to get to work is for the secondary profile to save the home address. It's a minor issue but annoying. Been meaning to call Lexus but don't feel like being on the phone for an hour and first thing they will want to do is uninstall and reinstall the app which will probably jack everything up.
Old 07-21-23, 12:36 PM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sailormike
Glad you got it figured out. The only other thing we have not been able to get to work is for the secondary profile to save the home address. It's a minor issue but annoying. Been meaning to call Lexus but don't feel like being on the phone for an hour and first thing they will want to do is uninstall and reinstall the app which will probably jack everything up.
Same issue here, I added home address to the app on her phone but doesn't get picked up in the nav destinations. Works fine in my profile. Pretty sure uninstalling & reinstalling will just be a waste of time.
Old 07-22-23, 12:42 PM
Bo15
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I was able to set up the second profile ok with the 2nd fob for the secondary driver (me). Wife's profile set up with original fob #1. When I get in with my fob #2, it welcomes me with my name. It usually connects to my iphone but sometimes I have to go in and connect mine.
Old 08-29-23, 05:51 AM
Mike3rdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just received my 2023 RX

Thanks for all the great information. I can not believe how bad the software and interface is for setting up profiles. By profession I worked on building real-time switching systems and I am very used to developing complex software.

Building these profiles is not rocket science and it seems like the software was written assuming 2 FOBs. As someone said there are three triggers for the car to ID you - Face recognition, Cell Phone, and FOB. Complicating the interworking is two people getting into the car … and the timing (eg who gets in first and what device are they carrying).

Face recognition is very unstable. I am 6’4 and my wife is 5’4. I drive with the seat back and she drives with the seat up. If I get out and she gets in (after lock/unlock) the FR will not work for her if I was driving and will not work for me if she was driving. Plus if I get in after her, I am slammed into the steering wheel because it starts with her profile.

As for the Digital Key … that has not worked since day 1. The tech team said the app should work in your pocket. Well mine does not. I have to open both the phone and click on the app (and yes it is running in the background). When my wife gets in the car with her digital key it does not recognize her face or her phone so it starts up with my profile.

An interesting thing my tech rep told me. If you change seat, mirror, steering wheel settings you can push the save settings button and it records immediately. However, changes do not get written into the profile until you drive 3 miles!

One more odd thing about the RX. You can not move the seat until you turn the car on or push the button twice (if you can not reach brake pedal) to get power to the seat. So odd. Never had a car where I could not move the seat before sitting down.

Ok - one more or a question. Have you ever gotten the message “No Network Connection”. I have terrible cell service in my garage. Every so often I get that message and can not access my profile or my wife’s.

All in all - I feel like we are all Beta testers for these features.

I will reread the response on how to set the seat settings and see if that helps.

BeamerDude (05-15-24)
Old 08-29-23, 10:15 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

the other major issue is that the profiles are automatically saved (there is no save button) which is all good but if one driver exits and another gets in and if the profiles are not recognized it will mess up the settings (Seat/mirrors) . new driver will start to adjust settings and it will save to the current profile. it doesnt happen now since we know to have the app open and make sure everything is working instead of assuming.
Old 08-29-23, 10:32 AM
Mike3rdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Deeps1 - you are correct that if you change drivers and not the profile, and they change their seat settings, it will be saved to the current profile. Remember, at least according to my tech rep, the change is not written into the profile until the car goes 3 miles. My guess they did this so the seats will not be changed when you give the car to a valet (even though valets are not supposed to change your seat!)

You mentioned that it does not happen to you because you have the app open. Can you explain that, because I was led to believe that if you changed drivers, the profile did not change unless you turned the car off, locked and unlocked the car, and then when the new driver sat in the seat - assuming face recognition and/or a new key - their profile would get loaded.

Another little tip - the seat setting button (there are three settings) - are supposedly unique to each profile. Assuming that is the case, if you want to change drivers without locking and unlocking the car you need to set your own set of settings in each other's profile. That way if you pull over, change seats, and start up again (without turning off the car) you can have your set settings available by just pushing your button.
Deeps1 (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 11:02 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike3rdLexus
Deeps1 - you are correct that if you change drivers and not the profile, and they change their seat settings, it will be saved to the current profile. Remember, at least according to my tech rep, the change is not written into the profile until the car goes 3 miles. My guess they did this so the seats will not be changed when you give the car to a valet (even though valets are not supposed to change your seat!)

You mentioned that it does not happen to you because you have the app open. Can you explain that, because I was led to believe that if you changed drivers, the profile did not change unless you turned the car off, locked and unlocked the car, and then when the new driver sat in the seat - assuming face recognition and/or a new key - their profile would get loaded.

Another little tip - the seat setting button (there are three settings) - are supposedly unique to each profile. Assuming that is the case, if you want to change drivers without locking and unlocking the car you need to set your own set of settings in each other's profile. That way if you pull over, change seats, and start up again (without turning off the car) you can have your set settings available by just pushing your button.
in the 5plus weeks of ownership many testing sessions have taken place i just cant keep track. you might be correct in saying that the car needs to stop lock/unlock and the second profile takes over. the reason for the app being open is to make sure the digital key is working properly. I always carry the single key fob we have since I am still not confident about the Digital key working all the time but having the app open keeps the digital key active (real life scenario would be to leave the key fob at home but i am not there yet )

we have 3 profiles setup and also use the 3 memory settings for 3 profiles set as well. there is still small bugs that need to be fixed and maybe an OTA update could be done sooner rather than later
Old 08-29-23, 12:54 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

If you always have the fob with you how do you know the digital key is working? I thought the digital key would work with phone locked but app open and running in background in your pocket is that not correct? I might not fully understand how it works.
Old 08-29-23, 01:23 PM
Deeps1
Driver

i have got in and started it a few times without the fob. only once have i actually driven it and thats because i forgot the fob and realized i was going to drop off and wouldn't be stopping the engine. so it works but i dont have full confidence just yet.
i think once i locked the car with the digital key with the FOB inside but i dont have the confidence to try this again. if i have a second fob will try this but it shouldn't allow me to lock it.

Quick Reply: Problem setting up multiple profiles