RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Problem setting up multiple profiles

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-23, 02:15 PM
almot
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problem setting up multiple profiles

I created 2 profiles in my 2023 RX350h.
I assigned a separate smartphone to each profile.
According to Lexus manual the profile should load automatically when the car detects the right phone.
It doesn't happen in my case. Lexus support did not help.
Can somebody try it and tell if it works?
Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
BeamerDude (05-15-24)
Old 03-04-23, 03:36 PM
jesttalk23
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t have the “h” version but it worked for us. Didn’t realize it had worked until the other person got in the car first and it picked up their phone
Old 03-05-23, 07:56 AM
R9000
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If two people have profiles and they both get in the car.. I take it the first one the car "finds" is the one it loads? Will it give you a choice to change profiles if say the passenger gets in first then the driver needs to change to their profile? Is it easy to switch with minimal effort?
nowlen (05-13-24)
Old 03-05-23, 09:31 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

I am going to wait until I get a second fob and link it to the fobs. There is also a way to link it to facial recognition. I did that too.
Bo15 (03-27-23)
Old 03-20-23, 03:31 PM
almot
Driver School Candidate

So, did anyone successfully get profile automatically loaded to the car?
I still have problems doing it.
Also the profile is supposed to remember your seat position. It does not. At least in my case.
Old 03-26-23, 12:50 PM
sailormike
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I am also having problems with two profiles. I have now finally got the system to recognize both drivers by using the facial recognition. You can set that up in each driver's personal information. When each driver gets in the vehicle it displays "Welcome Driver A" or "Welcome Driver B' depending on the face it scans. The problem we are having is that the settings for the secondary (non-primary) driver do not seem to be saving properly i.e. Driver B seat position. The Lexus support team claims the problem is not having a second key fob, I call BS.

I think I am close to getting it to work, and when I can get back to it, I am going to try deleting Driver B, recalibrating the seat and then add and set up Driver B again. My secondary issue is that Driver B is my wife and I have to talk her into wasting an hour of her day watching me cuss out Lexus Technology.
Old 03-27-23, 11:30 AM
almot
Driver School Candidate

I also registered both faces with corresponding profiles. And I also registered phones with profiles. I don't know what take precedence in selecting profile - face or the phone (Lexus doesn't explain that).
What's gonna happen if the car sees my face and my wife's phone is getting connected? Which profile will it choose?
Old 03-27-23, 12:55 PM
sailormike
Rookie

We tested that, and whoever sat in the driver's seat was the person recognized even with both phones on. So, it appears that facial recognition comes first. Now when we get both key fobs and register them to each driver profile that may change. Right now, I do not have the physical key fob registered to either profile.
Old 03-29-23, 02:41 PM
sailormike
Rookie

I was able to get the profiles and seat positions working today. I'm not 100% sure what made it work, but I did read in the user manual that in order for the profile to save correctly (to the cloud) the users phone needs to be in the vehicle and the Lexus app running and logged on.

Prior to today when we would switch to my wife's profile via the main screen it would ask if we wanted to set the seat position, when we said yes nothing would happen and the system would lock up for a few seconds. If we then pressed the driver seat position button on the dash her seat would move to the correct position. So, we knew the seat position was saved it just was not connected to the profile somehow. When we tried this same thing today her seat position started to work properly. We could manually switch between the two profiles and all settings would load properly.

On to the next issue. How to get the vehicle to recognize which driver was in the driver's seat. Bluetooth did not seem to be working properly, but I think that was because we were both in the car with phones on. So, we turned bluetooth off on both phones and focused on facial recognition. When I got in the vehicle from a locked door (important step) the drivers display would recognize me and greet me with "Welcome Driver 1" (not my real name). I then started the vehicle and my seat moved to my saved position. I then turned off the vehicle and got out and locked the door. Note: If you do not lock the door before you get back in the vehicle it does not look for a new face. My wife then unlocked the door and got in, but the system did not recognize her. After some trial and error, we figured out that if she sat up close to the steering wheel where the facial recognition camera is located the system would recognize her and her seat position would automatically be adjusted. My wife is shorter than me and when she would get in after me the camera was pointed too high to properly scan her face.

We were able to work through this issue with the Boarding & Exit settings under Vehicle Customize. My seat position was far enough down and back that I can enter and exit the vehicle easily, so we set the slide and lift to off. We also set the steering wheel tilt to off. This allowed her to get in after me and the camera could now properly scan her face. We also set her Boarding & Exit Slide and Lift to full to allow the seat to be far enough back and down for me to get in comfortably. Another note is the Boarding & Exit settings are unique to each profile and are referenced to the drivers saved seat position. Just because the slide setting is set to full, the seat does not go all the way back to the stops. Same is true for the lift.

Another thing to note is that for the system to recognize you via facial recognition, you have to wait for the "Welcome Driver X" message. This happens before you even start the vehicle. I hopped in once after she had gotten out and started the vehicle without waiting and ended up with me knees in the dash.

We then enabled Bluetooth on both phones and verified everything was still working. We can now both get in and drive without having to press a button or manually switch profiles. The next step will be to add the key fob to our profiles when we finally get the second one.

Edit: We found out today that if the steering wheel is not straight when you park, that it will block the camera.

2nd Edit: The facial recognition is very sensitive. Wife initially scanned her face with glasses on and if she does not wear glasses when getting in the car facial recognition has a hard time recognizing her. I actually handed her my glasses which are totally different, and the system recognizes her every time. Go figure!

Last edited by sailormike; 03-30-23 at 04:33 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by sailormike:
Britthartzell (04-21-24), Eingraham (09-20-23), FargoJoe (04-14-23), jimwelmhurst (07-10-24), madams144 (09-15-23), rlm22222 (09-20-23), Surfwinky (02-06-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-29-23, 04:38 PM
Psbhappy
10th Gear

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sailormike
I was able to get the profiles and seat positions working today. I'm not 100% sure what made it work, but I did read in the user manual that in order for the profile to save correctly (to the cloud) the users phone needs to be in the vehicle and the Lexus app running and logged on.

Prior to today when we would switch to my wife's profile via the main screen it would ask if we wanted to set the seat position, when we said yes nothing would happen and the system would lock up for a few seconds. If we then pressed the driver seat position button on the dash her seat would move to the correct position. So, we knew the seat position was saved it just was not connected to the profile somehow. When we tried this same thing today her seat position started to work properly. We could manually switch between the two profiles and all settings would load properly.

On to the next issue. How to get the vehicle to recognize which driver was in the driver's seat. Bluetooth did not seem to be working properly, but I think that was because we were both in the car with phones on. So, we turned bluetooth off on both phones and focused on facial recognition. When I got in the vehicle from a locked door (important step) the drivers display would recognize me and greet me with "Welcome Driver 1" (not my real name). I then started the vehicle and my seat moved to my saved position. I then turned off the vehicle and got out and locked the door. Note: If you do not lock the door before you get back in the vehicle it does not look for a new face. My wife then unlocked the door and got in, but the system did not recognize her. After some trial and error, we figured out that if she sat up close to the steering wheel where the facial recognition camera is located the system would recognize her and her seat position would automatically be adjusted. My wife is shorter than me and when she would get in after me the camera was pointed too high to properly scan her face.

We were able to work through this issue with the Boarding & Exit settings under Vehicle Customize. My seat position was far enough down and back that I can enter and exit the vehicle easily, so we set the slide and lift to off. We also set the steering wheel tilt to off. This allowed her to get in after me and the camera could now properly scan her face. We also set her Boarding & Exit Slide and Lift to full to allow the seat to be far enough back and down for me to get in comfortably. Another note is the Boarding & Exit settings are unique to each profile and are referenced to the drivers saved seat position. Just because the slide setting is set to full, the seat does not go all the way back to the stops. Same is true for the lift.

Another thing to note is that for the system to recognize you via facial recognition, you have to wait for the "Welcome Driver X" message. This happens before you even start the vehicle. I hopped in once after she had gotten out and started the vehicle without waiting and ended up with me knees in the dash.

We then enabled Bluetooth on both phones and verified everything was still working. We can now both get in and drive without having to press a button or manually switch profiles. The next step will be to add the key fob to our profiles when we finally get the second one.
Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out. My car should be here within 2 or so weeks and I find this extremely helpful. I definitely will refer to this. Much appreciated.
Old 03-30-23, 01:08 PM
almot
Driver School Candidate

So, I guess, that means that facial recognition does not have the priority. Otherwise it would choose profile based on the face no matter what phones are in the car. Sometimes when both of our phones are in the car they both get connected according to car's screen. That looks weird.
Old 03-30-23, 01:35 PM
sailormike
Rookie

That was just our first step in troubleshooting the issue. We now use the system with both phones Bluetooth enabled and everything works fine. Facial recognition takes priority over the Bluetooth device from what I can tell.

Also, you can have both phones connected and receive calls and text. One phone needs to be set up to use Android Auto and the other set to "Use for phone"/"Use for media".
Old 03-30-23, 02:33 PM
almot
Driver School Candidate

That was just our first step in troubleshooting the issue. We now use the system with both phones Bluetooth enabled and everything works fine. Facial recognition takes priority over the Bluetooth device from what I can tell.

Also, you can have both phones connected and receive calls and text. One phone needs to be set up to use Android Auto and the other set to "Use for phone"/"Use for media".
Can you try to get into the car with your wife's phone and see which profile will it choose? And turn off bluetooth on your phone.
Urlik (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 04:29 PM
sailormike
Rookie

Originally Posted by almot
So, I guess, that means that facial recognition does not have the priority. Otherwise it would choose profile based on the face no matter what phones are in the car. Sometimes when both of our phones are in the car they both get connected according to car's screen. That looks weird.
Originally Posted by almot
Can you try to get into the car with your wife's phone and see which profile will it choose? And turn off bluetooth on your phone.
Wife unlocked the driver's door (with her digital key) got in the driver's seat with only her phones Bluetooth enabled. I got in the passenger seat (my Bluetooth disabled). System recognized her by facial recognition and loaded her profile and adjusted the driver's seat. We both got out and locked the door.

Wife unlocked the passenger door (with her digital key) got in the passenger seat with only her phones Bluetooth enabled. I got in the driver's seat (my Bluetooth disabled). System recognized me by facial recognition and loaded my profile and adjusted the driver's seat. We both got out and locked the door.

Hope this helps.
Vinkim70 (04-11-24)
Old 03-30-23, 04:34 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Seems right, the manual talks about recognizing signals from the driver’s door side.

Quick Reply: Problem setting up multiple profiles