RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Are Triple Beam Headlights worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 07:18 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Last night I had to drive home in a raging thunderstorm. I have the P+ with the regular headlights. At first I had trouble seeing curbs and road edges. Then I remembered that I had fog lights. What a difference they made. They were much better than the puny non-LEDs in my last car. Anyway, made it home safely and I'll remember sooner to use the fog lights, next time.
Old 10-11-23, 11:55 AM
jimaizumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Having to read through multiple pages of bi-led vs triple beam, I'm wondering why Lexus still hasn't released their blade-scan technology for the US market now that the NTSA has approved the use of matrix/multi-beam LEDs here in the US. Forget about cornering lights, I'd think that EVERYONE would opt in for this technology and would make for an easy sale by Lexus.

How does Lexus BladeScan headlight technology work?
The following users liked this post:
hziemba (12-02-23)
Old 10-11-23, 12:17 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 331 Likes on 209 Posts

I thought my triple beam LEDs were broken because the light output was horrible compared to my Bimmer with HIDs UNTIL I adjusted the LEDs higher up to match the beam pattern of the HIDs. What a difference and I've never been flashed by anyone for blinding them.

Not sure why Lexus has them angled so low from the factory.
Old 10-11-23, 12:38 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by jimaizumi
Forget about cornering lights, I'd think that EVERYONE would opt in for this technology and would make for an easy sale by Lexus.
Both please, cornering lights have a use that adaptive headlights would not address.
Old 10-13-23, 05:16 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

I've found that the manufacturers seem to adjust headlamp aim as if the car had a FULL RATED LOAD. So, the squat at the rear would result in blinding oncoming drivers. Or, at least annoying them.

I've raised the aim on every new car I've owned. EXCEPT the RX500. It seems to be OK...perhaps the adaptive variable suspension compensates.
Old 10-15-23, 11:24 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
I thought my triple beam LEDs were broken because the light output was horrible compared to my Bimmer with HIDs UNTIL I adjusted the LEDs higher up to match the beam pattern of the HIDs. What a difference and I've never been flashed by anyone for blinding them.

How do you adjust them and how much did you raise them.
Old 10-15-23, 04:51 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 331 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bdspilot
How do you adjust them and how much did you raise them.
It's very easy. Look on YT for videos but I only needed an extra long philips head screwdriver and a wall to see the beam. It's trial-and-error and depends on how far away from the wall you are. I used my gf's car for a point of reference. Mine were angled lower than hers at first.
Old 10-16-23, 01:22 PM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

Best way to adjust is to face a wall on a flat lot. As you back away, the cut-off should drop slightly.
Old 10-17-23, 05:06 AM
jimaizumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Raising the headlights a tad might be on the cards but wouldn't the auto-leveling feature compensate for any height adjustments?
Old 10-17-23, 07:04 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimaizumi
Raising the headlights a tad might be on the cards but wouldn't the auto-leveling feature compensate for any height adjustments?
No, you're just raising the default beam height. Auto leveling is meant to lower the beam projection as the rear of the car lowers due to weight.
Old 10-17-23, 04:25 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 139 Posts

While I do like the triple beam headlights in my new RX450h+, I don't think that they nearly as good as the HID's that I have in my 2016 Sequoia. I shipped those H/L's to Lightwerkz in NJ, shortly after I bought the beast. I was without H/L for two weeks but, it was worth it. They installed Bi-Xenon projectors in them and blacked out all of the internal chrome surrounds. I am going to check YT for clips on adjusting my triple beams to see if I can get a little bit better beam projection.
Appreciate the tip.
Old 10-17-23, 07:56 PM
DavidTK
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do headlights washers come with Premium Triple Beam LED Headlamps?

I was looking at my PO and it shows Premium Triple Beam LED Headlamps. I told the dealer what I had to have the headlight washers. Can any confirm if the headlight washers only come with the Premium Triple Beam LED Headlamps.AND CORNERING LAMP. I purchased quite a few PIO with the car and assumed the triple beam light on the PO came with the condering lamps.

Thanks for you lhelp
Old 10-19-23, 06:25 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidTK
I was looking at my PO and it shows Premium Triple Beam LED Headlamps. I told the dealer what I had to have the headlight washers. Can any confirm if the headlight washers only come with the Premium Triple Beam LED Headlamps.AND CORNERING LAMP. I purchased quite a few PIO with the car and assumed the triple beam light on the PO came with the condering lamps.

Thanks for you lhelp
Yes, the triple beams have cornering lights as well as LED turn signals. The stock headlights do not. I believe all models have headlight washers.
Old 10-20-23, 06:17 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

I was happy my Prem + 350h did not have them. The regular ones are fine. Save your self $1500.00 Plus. I was also stuck with the 21 tires. Although they look nice the 19" ride softer and would have saved another $1600.00 plus.
Old 10-29-23, 09:09 AM
Luckyme1
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I just traded her 2023 ES300h Luxury with Triple Beams and after her owning a few Lexus’, some without the Triple Beams, she really wanted the upgraded headlights. The came on the RX500h F-Sport we are having delivered in November.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (10-30-23)

Quick Reply: Are Triple Beam Headlights worth the upgrade?