RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Are Triple Beam Headlights worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-23, 03:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
The non-LED headlights in our 2013 RX350 were still going strong at the 10-year mark when we traded it in. I seriously doubt that the LEDs are going to have a average failure rate of 10 years. Personally, I don't trust anything dealership personnel tell me, unless it's backed up by a document.

Considering that most LEDs last in excess of 25,000 hours, that would be 750,000 miles at an average of 30 miles per hour, if one left the headlights on all the time.

I'd expect that rock damage would be much more likely than LED failure.
I seldom keep my vehicles past the factory warranty so I am not losing any sleep on this.
The following users liked this post:
jaxn1010 (12-20-23)
Old 07-18-24, 01:06 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jimaizumi
I'm wondering why Lexus still hasn't released their blade-scan technology for the US market now that the NTSA has approved the use of matrix/multi-beam LEDs here in the US. Forget about cornering lights, I'd think that EVERYONE would opt in for this technology and would make for an easy sale by Lexus.

How does Lexus BladeScan headlight technology work?
I TOTALLY AGREE with you? I’m a very safety oriented guy; when I was getting my current GS in 2012, I absolutely wanted the Pre Collision System, and Lane Keeping Assistance. Unfortunately, there were NONE on any lot in the US. The only way to get either was to place a factory order and wait a few months. That’s exactly what I chose to do. My dealer explained that people were just not willing to pay the price premium ($3000), and a dealer wouldn’t want to order such a vehicle so it could sit on their lot. Today, both options are standard equipment on even less premium models.

Now I’m at the point where I want to trade up to an RX. I want the full up luxury version, and I want the top end headlight system. The ONLY PROBLEM is that the Adaptive High beam System (AHS) is not yet available in the U.S. I was talking to a dealer in Ontario and they have exactly what I want in the Canadian version of the car. I also confirmed that we were talking about the same system where the headlights drop to low beam, but only in a “notch” around the oncoming car - a lot of dealers in the U.S. don’t understand what the system is, and consider it the same as automatic high-beam switching, or the lights that swivel into a turn.

I CANNOT FIND ANYONE ANYWHERE FROM LEXUS WHO CAN TELL ME WHEN THE REAL AHS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE US! I’m ready to buy today, but ONLY if I know I’m going to get these lights!

it would be great if I was told that they’ll be available in the 2025 model year. Surely they know already…the 2025 are probably already in manufacturing - the 2025 NX is already out.

One thing I’m thinking about is that the triple beam LED system for the U.S. market may be identical to the Canadian counterpart from a hardware perspective, and the only difference is in the computer that drives the lights. If that’s the case, they should be able to unlock the full functionality with a software update at a future point in time after approval is received.

CAN ANYBODY HELP
Old 07-18-24, 01:22 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba
I TOTALLY AGREE with you? I’m a very safety oriented guy; when I was getting my current GS in 2012, I absolutely wanted the Pre Collision System, and Lane Keeping Assistance. Unfortunately, there were NONE on any lot in the US. The only way to get either was to place a factory order and wait a few months. That’s exactly what I chose to do. My dealer explained that people were just not willing to pay the price premium ($3000), and a dealer wouldn’t want to order such a vehicle so it could sit on their lot. Today, both options are standard equipment on even less premium models.

Now I’m at the point where I want to trade up to an RX. I want the full up luxury version, and I want the top end headlight system. The ONLY PROBLEM is that the Adaptive High beam System (AHS) is not yet available in the U.S. I was talking to a dealer in Ontario and they have exactly what I want in the Canadian version of the car. I also confirmed that we were talking about the same system where the headlights drop to low beam, but only in a “notch” around the oncoming car - a lot of dealers in the U.S. don’t understand what the system is, and consider it the same as automatic high-beam switching, or the lights that swivel into a turn.

I CANNOT FIND ANYONE ANYWHERE FROM LEXUS WHO CAN TELL ME WHEN THE REAL AHS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE US! I’m ready to buy today, but ONLY if I know I’m going to get these lights!

it would be great if I was told that they’ll be available in the 2025 model year. Surely they know already…the 2025 are probably already in manufacturing - the 2025 NX is already out.

One thing I’m thinking about is that the triple beam LED system for the U.S. market may be identical to the Canadian counterpart from a hardware perspective, and the only difference is in the computer that drives the lights. If that’s the case, they should be able to unlock the full functionality with a software update at a future point in time after approval is received.

CAN ANYBODY HELP
Headlamps are different between the Canadian version when Adaptive high beams and US automatic high beams.

Easiest way to tell is an additional light. US version has triple LEDs. Canadian is triple on top and another on the bottom for RX. NX has 4 LEDs side by side.
ColoradoDavid (07-19-24)
Old 07-18-24, 01:41 PM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest, I just got them for looks. They look 100% better then standard ones, had them in my prior generation RX and they always stood out..
Old 07-19-24, 07:26 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I believe the Canadian destination cars can get the real adaptive beams on higher grades. Canadian RX and NX "triple" beams have actually 4 beams vs. the USA 3.
Now that is interesting info…if that’s true, then upgrading after purchase would e more than just a software update. ☹️
ColoradoDavid (07-19-24)