RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Window tint questions including color match

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 09:38 AM
ishh
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Window tint questions including color match

I got 3M crystalline tints (CR20) for the driver/passenger side windows and it has a blue tint and looks so different from the back windows when you look at it head on. From certain angles, it doesn’t look blue and actually matches okay but most of the time I’m looking at it head on. Does someone have a better color match that they can recommend? I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and get it redone.

Looks blue head on compared to stock rear window tint

Looks better from certain angles
The following 2 users liked this post by ishh:
CCGS (09-09-23), RDLGX (03-12-23)
Old 03-11-23, 12:21 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

All of the ultra ceramics will look a bit blue, however I found the Xpel Black series to be the most black.

Xpel black is still ceramic and looks black at all angles, but will still look a little blueish from the inside when you look out.

To get it to match the 20% backs, you need 15% for the front because of the proximity to the windshield.

Its called Xpel Prime XR Black- 15%

Dont get the Xpel Prime Plus as that one will be blueish just like the 3M crystalline.
Old 03-11-23, 10:00 PM
SaraLvsLxs
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I did Xpel R @ 20% and it matches pretty perfectly from the outside. The inside, is a shade different but hardly noticeable.
The following 2 users liked this post by SaraLvsLxs:
CCGS (09-09-23), RDLGX (03-12-23)
Old 03-13-23, 04:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Why Lexus does not have the front windows match the rear is a bummer. I know a tint can be applied but other new vehicles from other manufacturers tint both front and back the same.
Old 03-13-23, 02:21 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I know it looks strange, but in NY it is illegal anything under 70%. I do 30% and knock on wood even with white have never been stopped but at times I do fear it during check points. That is why OEMs are not doing it due to states tints laws.
The following users liked this post:
Eagleboy99 (10-12-23)
Old 03-14-23, 12:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Our police cars down here have their windows tinted very dark so you can not see if anyone is in there. Guess it leaves them no room to complain about our windows.
Old 03-15-23, 03:04 PM
ishh
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SaraLvsLxs

I did Xpel R @ 20% and it matches pretty perfectly from the outside. The inside, is a shade different but hardly noticeable.
hi, any chance you can send a picture of it when it’s sunny? Also, do you have tints on the windshield and if so, what %?
Old 04-15-23, 06:28 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by stevec0128
Looks like I am not alone.
Just got my car 10 days ago, and I can feel the vibration coming from pedal, foot area, and sometimes to driving wheel.
My wife can't feel it and probably only me is sensitive.

aeromarkco, have you went back to dealer to check?
I have scheduled tint installation next week and will ask service for the question.
Also, I am looking online for the damping solutions; however, I prefer not to go through the whole floor dynamat installation process.
If there is any suggestion, e.g., a thicker floor mat, etc, please advise.

-Steve
Hey Steve, do you mind telling us how much your dealer quoted to do the tint? I assume it's the passenger windows only? I tend to procrastinate about finding a good window tinter here but I would trust the dealership, knowing I could make their lives miserable if they screw it up.
Old 04-15-23, 09:22 PM
stevec0128
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tedward155
Hey Steve, do you mind telling us how much your dealer quoted to do the tint? I assume it's the passenger windows only? I tend to procrastinate about finding a good window tinter here but I would trust the dealership, knowing I could make their lives miserable if they screw it up.
The dealer didn't ask me to pay.
it's part of the package I purchased I assume.. ..
They haven't got enough time to do the tint on the day of car delivery so i schedule a service to do it.

I start to worry on the pedal vibration & feedback issue. It's not like the ABS, but more constant on the road with road condition or engine activity.
hopefully the dealer can do something.....

Bests
Steve
tedward155 (04-15-23)
Old 09-07-23, 08:20 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Finally did mine while weather is still warm to cure I went with 30% Xpel XR plus, very happy just right amount of darkness. From different angles they match back, but up close you can see their lighter then the factory back windows. I didn't want go with 20% to match back as I wasn't to sure how I could see in the evening, but was def tempted. I have same set up on my Audi for over 2 years and I really like Xpel XR plus it is very clear and has held up so far in Audi.

Paid 200 cash total for two front windows Xpel XR plus with lifetime warranty
Old 09-09-23, 05:34 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
I know it looks strange, but in NY it is illegal anything under 70%. I do 30% and knock on wood even with white have never been stopped but at times I do fear it during check points. That is why OEMs are not doing it due to states tints laws.
yes, similar here, can't have much if any front window tinting which is fine because I don't want any.
Old 09-09-23, 08:13 AM
2023RX350PP
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was installed by the dealer as well. Front two windows, $200 - Xpel plus. It is a little lighter, but it matches the black tone outside. From the inside, depending on the angle of the sun, may have a gold/ceramic reflection.
Old 09-09-23, 08:47 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Def good quality Xpel Plus and good clarity, in my 19 RX I had some other brand which was ceramic as well and really nothing close in quality or clarity. Xpel almost makes it like your wearing very good Ray Bans and yet isn't to dark.
Here in NY the cops are very relaxed as long as they are on Luxury car and not limo dark, but you never know at check point. The biggest challenge in NY is you need to get it inspected every year, and any tint on front windows is automatic failure, so you need to know place that will do it for you and risk their inspection license. However NY even going to get stricter as they are coming out with new inspections stickers/machines and that will photograph the car, but I am sure these places will find ways around it. It is just ridiculous first off that you need to have a new car inspected every year and then BS of not even having very dark tint they will fail you. They also plug into cars computer to ensure your compliant with emissions.
2023RX350PP (09-09-23)
Old 10-11-23, 10:17 PM
BlueLex350
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I did Xpel 40% and it looks pretty good.
Old 10-23-23, 01:14 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLex350
I did Xpel 40% and it looks pretty good.
@BlueLex350 Love the Chrome delete, my wife just got a 2024 in Cloudburst Grey and I plan to have the chrome wrapped. Did you also wrap the rear valance silver piece? any pics would be great so I show her

Quick Reply: Window tint questions including color match