RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Mounting front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 09:53 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Mounting front license plate?

There is no drilling for the front plate mount, the threaded mounting holes are recessed behind the grill and the mount attaches there with screws.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
Eagleboy99 (01-20-23), FMY421 (01-20-23)
Old 01-20-23, 10:30 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
There is no drilling for the front plate mount, the threaded mounting holes are recessed behind the grill and the mount attaches there with screws.
​​​​​​​Good to know. But my main reason is for appearance reasons. So there will be No mounts, dismounts, or any Mounting whatsoever on Vehicle I purchased very soon.
Old 03-12-23, 10:00 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Thats just not true. Your dealer pre dilled those holes in the bumper behind the grille. My 500H was in the basement and never touched, had 2 miles on it, the dealer never pre drilled the holes. I compared mine to the showroom 500h and it was different. As in, the "threaded" holes werent on mine. Its just that the dealer didnt have a chance to drill them yet since the car was so new.
The following users liked this post:
JRey350hou (03-12-23)
Old 03-13-23, 12:01 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

This! You have to tell them ahead of time b4 vehicle arrives to the lot abt not drilling holes etc for front lic plate. It will be noted for Pre Delivery Team.
They have list of pre-delivery items to do,inspection of vehicle before hand off to customer occurs.
Same w add-ons, if you tell them upfront that these are a No go , you will save yourself a lot of hassel n possible negotiations if you communicate early in process once a vehicle has been identified or assigned to you.
Old 03-13-23, 08:14 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

There is no drilling for the front plate mount on the RX, there are hidden screw receptacles behind the grill that the front plate mount attaches to.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
ggebhardt (03-14-23), krafty81 (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23, 10:57 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I am going naked on the front! That grille just looks so good with no plate! So far so good!
The following 2 users liked this post by krafty81:
ggebhardt (01-01-24), JRey350hou (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23, 01:27 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vanguard
Thats just not true. Your dealer pre dilled those holes in the bumper behind the grille. My 500H was in the basement and never touched, had 2 miles on it, the dealer never pre drilled the holes. I compared mine to the showroom 500h and it was different. As in, the "threaded" holes werent on mine. Its just that the dealer didnt have a chance to drill them yet since the car was so new.
I can't see how they could drill them at the dealer without removing the entire bumper/grill assembly. See the attach procedure below, if those holes don't come from the factory, they would have to be crazy to have every dealer service tech drill every car that needed the front mount. The error rate would be extremely high, misplaced holes, damaged grills, etc.

The following 3 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
djrees (01-01-24), HarborAreaTech (03-02-24), LuckyL (08-29-23)
Old 03-13-23, 03:15 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

I can't see how they could drill them at the dealer without removing the entire bumper/grill assembly. See the attach procedure below, if those holes don't come from the factory, they would have to be crazy to have every dealer service tech drill every car that needed the front mount. The error rate would be extremely high, misplaced holes, damaged grills, etc.

https://youtu.be/CV2pNfbAlvk?t=287
Bud...this is how every dealer does it on every car lol.

The bumper has little dimples where you have to drill. Almost every manufacturer is the same processes. With Lexus its a little less intrusive because the bumper is located behind the grille so you dont really have to drill into a painted bumper like you do on most cars.

I can take a picture of my undrilled bumper and you'll see it has no holes in it, but there are 4 little dimples. The 2 center dimples are for US plates and the 2 outside dimples are for European plates.

Yours was drilled before you test drove it most likely.
Old 03-14-23, 06:21 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Well I guess in that video, he lined up the mount with the dimples and used some self tapping screws to attach, because I see no drilling operation taking place - and I don't see why they would have edited that out of the overall prep video which shows everything else.
Old 03-14-23, 08:06 AM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Well I guess in that video, he lined up the mount with the dimples and used some self tapping screws to attach, because I see no drilling operation taking place - and I don't see why they would have edited that out of the overall prep video which shows everything else.
Correct, they use self tapping screws. Every car dealer does this. Self tapping screws into plastic to mount the plate. Its just a lot more hidden on our RXs

Its also possible that RX was pre drilled when they received the car. Like I said, the RX's in the showroom and in the lot all had the holes pre drilled already, mine was the only one that didnt probably because it was an expensive fully loaded 500H and they kept it in the basement.
Old 01-01-24, 10:44 AM
djrees
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanguard
Correct, they use self tapping screws. Every car dealer does this. Self tapping screws into plastic to mount the plate. Its just a lot more hidden on our RXs

Its also possible that RX was pre drilled when they received the car. Like I said, the RX's in the showroom and in the lot all had the holes pre drilled already, mine was the only one that didnt probably because it was an expensive fully loaded 500H and they kept it in the basement.
Mine was not mounted. It was still unopened in the plastic bag sitting in the cargo area. See the attached picture. You will see it comes with some self tapping screws. I am going to mount ours as NV issues two license plates and requires both to be mounted. I received a ticket for no front plate once.
And yes there are dimples in the plastic bar that is behind the grill that line up with the screw holes when the bracket is put in place. The bottom of the bracket secures with the hooks you see on the lower part of the bracket and then the top is secured with the provided screws.

Last edited by djrees; 01-01-24 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added info.
The following users liked this post:
CCGS (01-02-24)
Old 01-01-24, 12:21 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 476 Likes on 285 Posts

Our dealer would not release the vehicle without the front plate mounted.
Old 01-02-24, 02:59 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
Probably state law. Texas has a front plate as well but our dealer would allow you to sign and not have the front plate mount installed.
Old 01-03-24, 12:17 PM
fgina
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
yep. also need to sign a license plate delivery confirmation paper during delivery. it's a CA thing.
Old 01-16-24, 11:23 AM
RX500hFSportGuy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your vehicle didn't come pre-drilled (mine didn't and I told them not to) and you don't want to drill, you can look at Craven Speed (www.cravenspeed.com) and their Platypus license plate frame. No drill. Easy on, easy off.

Quick Reply: Mounting front license plate?