RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Set default drive mode not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23 | 07:27 PM
NextLexus
Rookie

Default Set default drive mode not work

I tried to set my default drive mode to sport under settings -> vehicle customization. I thought it will load my settings every time the car is started. But it stays the default eco mode. Any ideas why? Thanks!
Old 03-22-23 | 01:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

If I am not mistaken, it should default back to normal drive mode. I believe it is a requirement by the government/EPA to do so.
Old 03-22-23 | 02:33 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
If I am not mistaken, it should default back to normal drive mode. I believe it is a requirement by the government/EPA to do so.
I set mine to ECO and it stays there; does not default to Normal ever.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (09-24-23)
Old 03-22-23 | 03:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daryll40
I set mine to ECO and it stays there; does not default to Normal ever.
If set to “sport” will it default back to “sport” when the engine is restarted.
Old 03-22-23 | 03:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

If set to “sport” will it default back to “sport” when the engine is restarted.
Since I never drive in SPORT mode, I don't know for sure. But extrapolating from the fact that it says in ECO for me all the time, after the initial "set", I would assume it would work the same for SPORT or NORMAL modes too. If I remember I'll play with it today and report back.

EDIT: I was wr……., wr……er, I was mistaken! Very odd. If you use ECO mode, the vehicle will continue to default to ECO mode every time you start. Same for the NORMAL mode. But both the SPORT and CUSTOM modes default back to the NORMAL mode the next time you start. Not logical at all. Perhaps something to do with the MILES PER GALLON thing. Maybe the ability to set the default to the less fuel efficient SPORT mode, which can also be part of the CUSTOM mode, would get this vehicle lower EPA MPG numbers.

Or maybe most Lexus buyers are “value players” (cheapskates) like me and they know many/most of us want the least costly driving option as a default option 🤣 .

Last edited by daryll40; 03-22-23 at 05:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
CCGS (09-18-23), Urlik (03-22-23)
Old 03-23-23 | 08:20 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Since I never drive in SPORT mode, I don't know for sure. But extrapolating from the fact that it says in ECO for me all the time, after the initial "set", I would assume it would work the same for SPORT or NORMAL modes too. If I remember I'll play with it today and report back.

EDIT: I was wr……., wr……er, I was mistaken! Very odd. If you use ECO mode, the vehicle will continue to default to ECO mode every time you start. Same for the NORMAL mode. But both the SPORT and CUSTOM modes default back to the NORMAL mode the next time you start. Not logical at all. Perhaps something to do with the MILES PER GALLON thing. Maybe the ability to set the default to the less fuel efficient SPORT mode, which can also be part of the CUSTOM mode, would get this vehicle lower EPA MPG numbers.

Or maybe most Lexus buyers are “value players” (cheapskates) like me and they know many/most of us want the least costly driving option as a default option 🤣 .
It is mandated by the EPA and Lexus has no choice.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-25-23 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-23-23 | 08:22 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

It is mandated by the EPA and Lexus has not choice.
OK, then, there you have it. The car only runs in ECO or NORMAL default modes and it's a government thing.
Old 03-23-23 | 08:35 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

According to the car care nut if you put the car in sport mode, it will always default back to normal. If it's in Eco or normal mode, the car will stay in that mode. That's the way it's programmed and there is nothing you can do to change that. See link below. It's around the 11:50 time

The following 2 users liked this post by jahnjva:
CCGS (09-18-23), NextLexus (03-25-23)
Old 03-23-23 | 08:45 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jahnjva
According to the car care nut if you put the car in sport mode, it will always default back to normal. If it's in Eco or normal mode, the car will stay in that mode. That's the way it's programmed and there is nothing you can do to change that. See link below. It's around the 11:50 time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4iuj-bIRRU
I’m ok with this. If I wanted serious “Sport”, I would have gotten the RX500h. I like the novelty and economy of getting 32 MPGs without driving a kiddie sized car.

Good video, by the way 👍🏻

Last edited by daryll40; 03-23-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-24-23 | 04:14 PM
Urlik
Instructor

It is mandated by the EPA and Lexus has not choice.
It would only be mandated by EPA if they chose that mode for mpg testing. Any settings used for mpg testing must be the default on start up. That’s why start/stops always default on. Eco mode doesn’t change engine operation or efficiency, just throttle position to throttle body ratio so wouldn’t be needed for mpg testing.
Old 03-24-23 | 05:19 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Urlik
It would only be mandated by EPA if they chose that mode for mpg testing. Any settings used for mpg testing must be the default on start up. That’s why start/stops always default on. Eco mode doesn’t change engine operation or efficiency, just throttle position to throttle body ratio so wouldn’t be needed for mpg testing.
if it doesn’t improve efficiency, then how else would you define “ECOnomy” mode?
Old 03-24-23 | 05:40 PM
Urlik
Instructor

if it doesn’t improve efficiency, then how else would you define “ECOnomy” mode?
Marketing isn’t always reality. Eco mode is a way to make it harder for you to use the cars power. The car isn’t more efficient, it’s a way to make you use less of its ability which can increase mpg. It doesn’t help in an epa mpg test because of the way the test requires hitting speed targets on the test loop.

You might enjoy this read: https://www.progressive.com/answers/...co-drive-mode/

Last edited by Urlik; 03-24-23 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CCGS (09-18-23)
Old 03-24-23 | 06:00 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

It looks like Eco drive might get better MPGs over normal. I always drive in Eco, like the MPGs I’m getting. Drove in Sport mode once, MPGs dropped to the low 20s.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dhill:
CCGS (09-18-23), daryll40 (03-25-23)
Old 03-25-23 | 02:18 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Urlik
Marketing isn’t always reality. Eco mode is a way to make it harder for you to use the cars power. The car isn’t more efficient, it’s a way to make you use less of its ability which can increase mpg. It doesn’t help in an epa mpg test because of the way the test requires hitting speed targets on the test loop.

You might enjoy this read: https://www.progressive.com/answers/...co-drive-mode/
So it’s not merely marketing at all. It’s real. It sets the car to respond to the driver in a way that maximizes fuel ECOnomy. It’s still not exactly clear why it stays in ECO or NORMAL as the chosen default. But common sense suggests that it’s something to do with the government or corporate desire to keep the most efficient setting most of the time. Your claim of “marketing” is bogus.
Old 03-25-23 | 03:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I never use ECO mode. I can easily get 35 mpg in normal mode. The most important factor to getting great milage is between one’s ears. I hate the sluggish throttle feel on ECO if you can control your foot, it is not needed.

‘’Just my personal preference, everyone has their own.

Quick Reply: Set default drive mode not work