RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

What does traffic jam assist give you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 07:19 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Which one there is the traffic jam assist? I looked each item up and they seem to be for other things, some of whichinvolve reps (that Lexus needs to pay, which explains the cost).
TJA is part of Drive Connect, as someone noted above. This post from a 2020 ES owner, so Lexus' marketing names have changed. So we shouldn't consider a 1:1 correspondence with our current RX/NX models. Just general ideas of what Lexus is charging for similar features in older models (after their trial periods expired)
The following 2 users liked this post by wrinkle:
asj2024 (03-04-24), Urlik (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 07:25 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
I think "subscription money" is the primary motivation for Lexus/Toyota. However, the "technical" reason is TrafficJamAssist uses live traffic data, which requires cellular connectivity, incurs some cellular data costs, cloud infrastructure, and engineering support. There are real ongoing costs. Whether their margin on the subscription cost is fair/worthwhile are for individuals to asses. I like the feature, but at $320 a year I think they're grossly overcharging for the benefit.
On my car, an Audi, I do not have live traffic. It was a 6 month trial. $360 a year. There are some other things but not worth it. It does not have to have live traffic to know that you are on the highway traveling 10 mph and consistently slowing down. The car in front of you symbol changes to 3 or 4 cars in front of you. My other car changes the resume time from 5 seconds to 30 seconds. No subscriptions. If Ford can charge for Blue Cruise and GM can charge for Super Cruise, Toyota figures they can too. Even though they don’t have all the features.
Old 03-04-24, 09:01 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

I have yet to get this to even activate in my car (assuming there is a message like "TJA Active") - not even sure what the traffic conditions have to be for it flip to TJA mode from the normal active cruise. What does it have to see in the traffic pattern ahead?
Old 03-04-24, 09:45 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I have yet to get this to even activate in my car (assuming there is a message like "TJA Active") - not even sure what the traffic conditions have to be for it flip to TJA mode from the normal active cruise. What does it have to see in the traffic pattern ahead?
It activates regularly for me on CA Bay Area commute traffic, but on something like 4+ lane freeways only. With Dynamic Cruise Control on, whenever there is almost bumper-to-bumper, slow (< 5 or so mph) traffic it auto-activates. I think it activates only when there is actually a full stop of the car (for even a second) happening in those traffic conditions in 4+ lane freeway, provided Dynamic Cruise Control is already activated by the driver.

The key feature is that you don't have to constantly press the throttle or resume cruise-control button everytime the car stops completely, as you need to do when it doesn't activate. It doesn't activate when the same traffic conditions occur in city traffic for example (or I imagine in rural 1 or 2 way highways either).

It is indeed a lifesaver for me in terms of driving fatigue, especially since it allows me to be hands-free and foot-free in commute traffic. What I don't understand is why they had to tie it to a subscription service and why they disallowed it from working anywhere other than on 4+ lane freeways.
Old 03-04-24, 09:48 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
It activates regularly for me.

It only works on "freeways" -- roads with multiple lanes and barriers that prevent entry/exit except at dedicated high-speed on/off ramps. The system must detect your attention (via IR cameras). The system must think you are experiencing traffic (based on live/internet traffic data) and you must be traveling below ~25mph with adaptive cruise and LKAS activated.

When the conditions are met, a message displays on the MID and the adaptive cruise display turns "blue" with a repeating diamond pattern.
The following users liked this post:
Bentru (03-04-24)
Old 03-04-24, 10:01 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

The only thing I don’t like about it. I’m not a creeper. I don’t move every time the car in front of me moves. I usually wait until the car is a few feet in front before I move up. However, the ACC will creep. With the Auto stop/start. That means every time the car moves, the engine starts again.
Old 03-13-24, 03:52 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle

It is indeed a lifesaver for me in terms of driving fatigue, especially since it allows me to be hands-free and foot-free in commute traffic. What I don't understand is why they had to tie it to a subscription service and why they disallowed it from working anywhere other than on 4+ lane freeways.
I assume the reason it won't function outside of large freeways is for safety. It's not autonomous, and might not want to risk your life crossing lots of perpendicular and other traffic.

As to the paid subscription part...ha! Do you really have to ask?
Old 04-16-24, 05:54 PM
Ascho
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Traffic Jam Assist

I love my traffic jam assist but sometimes when I am in adaptive cruise control, it does not kick in. The car will stop and instead of automatically starting when the traffic advances, I need to tap the gas pedal. It has worked for me in rural areas and not worked for me in big cities (even when I was away from the tall buildings). Any advice? I have a 2023 RX350h
Old 04-16-24, 06:26 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ascho
I love my traffic jam assist but sometimes when I am in adaptive cruise control, it does not kick in. The car will stop and instead of automatically starting when the traffic advances, I need to tap the gas pedal. It has worked for me in rural areas and not worked for me in big cities (even when I was away from the tall buildings). Any advice? I have a 2023 RX350h
It only works on approved roads. They're exclusively "divided highways", afaik; although not all divided highways are approved. The system must also see active traffic via telematics. Even if you're on an approved road, if the cloud service isn't telling the car there is sufficient traffic then it won't activate the TJA feature.
Ascho (04-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 09:04 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) question

Guys,
If I'm in adaptive cruise control my RX350 stays centered and brakes and speeds up so what exactly is the difference between this and Traffic Jam Assist or are they the same thing? If they aren't the same does ACC automatically turn into TJA when the car slows down?

Thanks in advance.
ColoradoDavid (05-15-24)
Old 05-16-24, 03:33 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by grhughes
Guys,
If I'm in adaptive cruise control my RX350 stays centered and brakes and speeds up so what exactly is the difference between this and Traffic Jam Assist or are they the same thing? If they aren't the same does ACC automatically turn into TJA when the car slows down?

Thanks in advance.
TJA lets you keep your hands off the wheel at low speeds and will automatically start from a stop for a much longer duration. ACC/LKAS has a much shorter timeout once you come to a stop.
Old 05-17-24, 06:21 AM
QPL
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
One of my gripes is they all seem to come with traffic jam assist. I might sit through two cycles of a light in my city twice a year. No such thing as traffic jams so it’s $620 for something that will never be used for the three years it will be active. If used at all it will be rare trips to larger cities 200 miles away.
Drove from Louisville to Cincinnati and on that drive there is something called the cut in the hill where traffic comes to a stop on I-75. Worked like a charm then.
Old 05-17-24, 12:20 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by QPL
Drove from Louisville to Cincinnati and on that drive there is something called the cut in the hill where traffic comes to a stop on I-75. Worked like a charm then.
How was it? And how did it tell you it's on?

I think it sucks that the car decides when to switch it on. There should be an option for the driver to try to switch it on, with warnings on why it didn't if it's not allowed at that point.
Old 05-17-24, 12:43 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by asj2024
How was it? And how did it tell you it's on?

I think it sucks that the car decides when to switch it on. There should be an option for the driver to try to switch it on, with warnings on why it didn't if it's not allowed at that point.
that’s basically how it is. Turn on ACC w/LKAS.
Old 05-17-24, 02:17 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Unless you travel frequently on heavily congested highways and have it in radar cruise, I think it's a $600+ waste. My car is over a year old and I think it has come one once.

Quick Reply: What does traffic jam assist give you?