RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

HUD and polarized glasses

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-23 | 03:45 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Default HUD and polarized glasses

My prescription sunglasses all but eliminate what I can see on the heads up display. These are the same polarized sunglasses I use for offshore fishing and am not willing to give them up so the whole system is near useless to me during daylight hours.
Old 03-25-23 | 03:52 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
My prescription sunglasses all but eliminate what I can see on the heads up display. These are the same polarized sunglasses I use for offshore fishing and am not willing to give them up so the whole system is near useless to me during daylight hours.
Practice the “head tilt”.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
ggebhardt (03-25-23), Urlik (03-25-23)
Old 03-25-23 | 04:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daryll40
Practice the “head tilt”.
‘You can bet I have but still insufficient for optimal results. They are heavily polarized for offshore use.
Old 03-25-23 | 04:51 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Wife has a pair of polarized Maui Jims and says she can see HUD fine. I have a pair and it is about 50% the brightness it should be. I bought a pair of non-polarized and can see HUD perfectly and just keep them in her car. As soon as I get out my Maui Jims go on.
The following 4 users liked this post by Freds430:
ggebhardt (03-25-23), heffnerlex (03-25-23), Hefty (03-25-23), jollick (04-13-23)
Old 03-25-23 | 07:23 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Wife has a pair of polarized Maui Jims and says she can see HUD fine. I have a pair and it is about 50% the brightness it should be. I bought a pair of non-polarized and can see HUD perfectly and just keep them in her car. As soon as I get out my Maui Jims go on.
Same for me. Works great.
Old 03-25-23 | 09:23 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

This is a pretty common complaint. HUD systems and polarized glasses don't play well together. I finally decided to give up the polarized glasses in my ES and it has been just fine - the difference hasn't been so great that I find it bothersome and I like the ability to see the HUD. From my perception, the tinted glass on the car reflects some of the light and I just don't see a huge difference from inside the car. Now if I am outdoors, I will absolutely have polarized glasses. Just saying, you might want to try non-polarized glasses and see how it goes - I was a little surprised that the difference wasn't more noticeable.

On a final note, my Maui Jims make it difficult to see the HUD in the ES, so it sounds like this new RX HUD may be brighter than some of the prior Lexus models. I assume the RX HUD has intensity adjustments like past Lexus models, have you made sure the intensity is adjusted all the way up? In our ES this is done through the display in the instrument cluster. Without adjusting it to max the polarized sunglasses made the HUD worthless.
Old 03-25-23 | 03:23 PM
Ryebrid
Driver

My polarized sunglasses work well enough, but I turned the HUD brightness up. As mentioned, a slight head cocking will rotate the lenses to offset the light blockage.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (03-25-23)
Old 03-31-23 | 05:47 PM
madmax24
Driver

My problem is my eyesight. I have bifocals for reading. I have computer glasses for that 18-24-inch focus. I have "driving glasses" for driving. When I have my driving glasses on, I don't see the HUD or the steering wheel controls very clearly. Looks like I will have to have my eye Doc make me some trifocals (cost about $800) just to use my car. :-)
Old 03-31-23 | 07:11 PM
Ryebrid
Driver

Originally Posted by madmax24
My problem is my eyesight. I have bifocals for reading. I have computer glasses for that 18-24-inch focus. I have "driving glasses" for driving. When I have my driving glasses on, I don't see the HUD or the steering wheel controls very clearly. Looks like I will have to have my eye Doc make me some trifocals (cost about $800) just to use my car. :-)
The Head Up Display should have a focal length several feet beyond the windshield. Can you use normal distance lenses?
Old 04-01-23 | 01:21 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Costco made both my bi-focals and my tri-focals for <$200 each pair. The tri-focals are not required for seeing the HUD, as the focal length is further out than you'd imagine. I have the Tri-focals in the car only as a backup, just in case. Basically wasted $200. Bi-focals work perfectly for me when driving.

Originally Posted by madmax24
Old 04-01-23 | 01:38 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I am getting along better with the HUD and my sunglasses. I was tilting my head to the left to see and it was not working but found out if I tilt slightly to the right, the HUD pops now!
Old 04-01-23 | 05:33 PM
Bo15
Driver

If you need polarized and don't mind the BMW logo ha ha, these glasses work well, per this article, at not filtering out HUDs. Polarized for HUD

Last edited by Bo15; 04-03-23 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-04-23 | 02:26 PM
MPCuse1
Driver School Candidate

Night and day difference with brightness on HUD with polarized and non-polarized sun glasses. I bought a cheapy $10 pair at a gas station and its a world of difference viewing the hud compared to my expensive polarized fishing sun glasses. I don't look as awesome now, but can see the HUD without cranking up the brightness.
Old 04-04-23 | 02:40 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPCuse1
Night and day difference with brightness on HUD with polarized and non-polarized sun glasses. I bought a cheapy $10 pair at a gas station and its a world of difference viewing the hud compared to my expensive polarized fishing sun glasses. I don't look as awesome now, but can see the HUD without cranking up the brightness.
But do the $10 glasses really direct your eyes?
Old 04-04-23 | 02:45 PM
MPCuse1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daryll40
But do the $10 glasses really direct your eyes?
All I need is the sun not blinding me when I'm driving and to be able to see the HUD clearly, so the $10 glasses work spectacularly for those 2 needs. When i want to look awesome again, i put on my nice Costa's or Maui's, lol.

Quick Reply: HUD and polarized glasses