RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does Amazon Music require WiFi connect to operate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 04:22 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Another approach is to hot spot a phone and connect the car to the hot spot, then the media system music features work.
Old 04-15-23, 08:59 AM
mmano
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

True but either way I will have to subscribe for wifi Hotspot. I will continue to use AA for awhile along with loading some of my favorite flac file on USB sticks.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (04-15-23)
Old 04-29-23, 07:33 PM
mmano
Driver

I believe you are on to a better option. I just purchased a new phone for my wife and signed up for the unlimited plan for the whole family. If you sign up for this plan anyone in the family can turn their phone into a mobile hotspot. You can then connect your RX. The plan was cheaper than signing up for wifi connect. I have only had time to connect at home. I will have to take it out on the road tomorrow and try it out.
Old 05-03-23, 08:48 AM
mmano
Driver

Pharbor,
Have you tried this in your car? I signed up for unlimited data last week with mobile hotspot. I turned my phone's mobile hotspot on and attempted to connect to my RX Wi-Fi. It asked for my phone's password and it will not accept my password. I verified my password several times but was unable to connect. I can connect to my home's wifi but not my phone. I chatted with ATT and the agent said that the phone hotspot does not work in cars. I don't know why the cars head unit would be any different than any other device.
Old 05-03-23, 09:19 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by mmano
Pharbor,
Have you tried this in your car? I signed up for unlimited data last week with mobile hotspot. I turned my phone's mobile hotspot on and attempted to connect to my RX Wi-Fi. It asked for my phone's password and it will not accept my password. I verified my password several times but was unable to connect. I can connect to my home's wifi but not my phone. I chatted with ATT and the agent said that the phone hotspot does not work in cars. I don't know why the cars head unit would be any different than any other device.
Can you connect the car to your home network while at home?
Old 05-03-23, 11:59 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

The phone hotspot doesn't work in cars? Apple would have had to build that restriction in, not AT&T. Doesn't sound right. Try to join some other device, like an iPad or a laptop, to your phone's WiFi hotspot - does it work?

Is the WiFi in the RX 5ghz or 2.5? For 2.5, you have to select the "maximize compatibility" option on the phone.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 05-03-23 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-03-23, 02:56 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Compatible Wi-Fi® communication protocols
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)
IEEE 802.11a/n/ac (5GHz)

Compatible security protocols
● WEP
● WPA™
● WPA2™
● WPA3
Old 05-03-23, 03:14 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

OK, well forget that idea then. Try and pair a laptop or an Ipad to the phone WiFi - does that work?
Urlik (05-03-23)
Old 05-03-23, 05:48 PM
mmano
Driver

Yes, I can connect to my home wifi.
Old 05-03-23, 05:55 PM
mmano
Driver

This was a good suggestion. I attempted to connect my phone hotspot to my laptop and it would not connect. So now I know that it is my phone, not Lexus. I will have to chat with ATT and see what is going on. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-03-23, 05:55 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Then try what lexusnyca suggested and try to connect another device to your phones hot spot to rule out the phone.
Old 05-04-23, 08:38 AM
mmano
Driver

I am an idiot when it comes to wireless technology. I had to ask my son what I was doing wrong. He said I was using the wrong password. He showed me how to find the password on the phone. I have tested my connection with my laptop and in the car. It all seams to work now. I will have to take it out on the road and see how it work then. So far streaming music through Amazon Music sound fuller than through AA or Sirius. Thanks for your help.
Urlik (05-04-23)
Old 05-04-23, 01:25 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Yes, the password to use is the one on the hotspot page under Settings. It's a randomly generated access password.
Old 05-04-23, 06:40 PM
mmano
Driver

Took my RX on a 1/2hr drive today. Used my phone's hotspot and connected to the RX. In driving through parts of my neighborhood I lost connection 3 times. Once I regained connection, Amazon Music reset to the main menu. This is not acceptable. I did not notice any connection problems with the trial wifi connect. Is there a difference between wifi connect and phone wifi hotspot? I wouldn't think there was any difference but coming from someone who used the wrong password, what do I know.
Old 05-05-23, 07:41 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Well I can't believe the hotspot is dropping, the WiFi within the car certainly has no range issues. Where do you place the phone when you drive? It must be losing the connection to the cellular network. Get a cup phone holder or vent mount for the phone so it has some proximity to the windshield.

Quick Reply: Does Amazon Music require WiFi connect to operate?