RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Multiple Beeps Upon Locking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 01:09 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

I see the mods merged your thread with the previous one.
Old 01-31-24, 06:26 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Scientifix
Oh wow. So say I opened the rear door and closed it. Got into my driver seat and drove away. Now when I stop and get out of the driver side and lock the car it will do the beeps? That’s kinda cool! After I get out it if I
open the rear door again and close it before I lock the car will not beep at that time?
That is correct. You can turn that off in your settings if your want to.
Old 05-17-24, 04:33 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am experiencing this but I am not sure it is the "rear seat" reminder. I have read about this behaviour but mine seems to be random. At one point I thought it also does multiple beeps when the front passenger is opened but then it also does this even if I don't open any of the doors. It's quite annoying that I can't figure out why.
Old 05-27-24, 04:07 PM
TReX2008
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was an annoyance I had and Lexus said it was the rear seat occupancy sensor which they disabled (as others have mentioned) however, that did not resolve me issue. In addition, when I would "close and lock" the tailgate, I was unable to use it. It turned out to be my "smart key" which wasn't so smart. It seemed to think I left my phone in the car so it would constantly unlock. Very frustrating. If you have the smart key on your phone, disable it and your problem should disappear. I should mention, I had both the smart key on my phone and the fob. I took the fob because I was warned by the dealer that if my phone was under 15% charge or I was out of reception range it smart key on my phone would not work, leaving me stranded.
Old 05-28-24, 06:14 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Don't you just love electronics! LOL.
Old 06-03-24, 06:35 AM
TReX2008
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
Don't you just love electronics! LOL.
Only when they work :-) The whole smart-key thing was a huge disappointment. But ... I love the windshield washer sprayers (ingenious design to have it spray next to the wiper and in the direction of the swipe), love the cornering lamps, love the safety tech (most of the time), whole lot to like.
The following users liked this post:
autotech13 (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 12:33 AM
pakbet
Rookie

They do work and quite reliable. It's the way they implemented the use of it which is quite frustrating in some areas. Lexus did not seem to have usability in mind. They prioritise what they think is "marketable" instead. I hate the wipers (refer to this thread Great Wiper Washer Fluid Application - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion ). My biggest gripe is the Infotainment UI (I hardly use it after I have configured everything). I find it distracting navigating through the menu/options. Cancel/resume for cruise control - have to press the (touch) button twice, really? There are a lot of features that I like of course (lane assist, active cruise control, etc.)

Sorry gone off topic!!

Old 06-18-24, 04:48 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Back to the original topic. I went to buy something and decided to put it in front of the front passenger seat - meaning I opened the passenger front door, shut it, started the car then drove off. Got home, stopped the car and I reached the item from the driver side (rather than opening the passenger door), got out and locked car - ended up with multiple beeps.

I think it's not only a rear seat reminder but also a front passenger seat. And as stated in previous posts, reminder will only occur if you opened the front before starting/driving off and not opening the front door again before locking.
Old 06-18-24, 05:42 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by pakbet
Cancel/resume for cruise control - have to press the (touch) button twice, really?
There is a way to avoid this. Develop the habit of wiping your thumb across the the haptic pad to the button you want to push, then push it. The wiping movement will wake up the haptics and the press will then work the first time.
Old 06-18-24, 05:51 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Originally Posted by Urlik
There is a way to avoid this. Develop the habit of wiping your thumb across the the haptic pad to the button you want to push, then push it. The wiping movement will wake up the haptics and the press will then work the first time.
Yes, exactly what it is. The first press is actually to wake up the haptics but really you should not have to in my opinion. It should be smart enough to figure it out that I pressed the button. I tried to get used to swiping but I just can't, possibly because I still switch between this car and my old car and with my age, it's difficult to remember things
Old 06-18-24, 05:54 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Yes, exactly what it is. The first press is actually to wake up the haptics but really you should not have to in my opinion. It should be smart enough to figure it out that I pressed the button. I tried to get used to swiping but I just can't, possibly because I still switch between this car and my old car and with my age, it's difficult to remember things
VW made the mistake of only requiring the press for the Mk8 Golf. Many people as well as car reviewers hated it because they would accidentally hit buttons turning the wheel. I suspect Lexus did this purposely to avoid inadvertent button presses.
Old 06-18-24, 06:17 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Originally Posted by Urlik
VW made the mistake of only requiring the press for the Mk8 Golf. Many people as well as car reviewers hated it because they would accidentally hit buttons turning the wheel. I suspect Lexus did this purposely to avoid inadvertent button presses.
LOL. I sometimes inadvertently activate the haptics while turning, suddenly the HUD displaying the menu ... one more reason to hate these buttons. I believe this type of buttons are only available on high end models. How does it work in other models that does not have this? Perhaps Lexus should have just kept the old style cruise controls. They still seem to have a hangover from their "trackpad" style controls that people hated
Old 06-18-24, 06:54 AM
Urlik
Instructor

LOL. I sometimes inadvertently activate the haptics while turning, suddenly the HUD displaying the menu ... one more reason to hate these buttons. I believe this type of buttons are only available on high end models. How does it work in other models that does not have this?
VW is replacing the haptics on the steering wheels with switches again for MY2025.
Old 06-18-24, 07:36 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts

Back to the original topic. I went to buy something and decided to put it in front of the front passenger seat - meaning I opened the passenger front door, shut it, started the car then drove off. Got home, stopped the car and I reached the item from the driver side (rather than opening the passenger door), got out and locked car - ended up with multiple beeps.

I think it's not only a rear seat reminder but also a front passenger seat. And as stated in previous posts, reminder will only occur if you opened the front before starting/driving off and not opening the front door again before locking.
This did not sound right to me. So I checked it out.
I believe this is incorrect. I just experimented doing exactly what you said regarding the front passenger door. There were NO multiple beeps as would be the case if you opened the rear door just before driving.

I would try it again.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (06-18-24)
Old 06-18-24, 11:25 AM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

It happens to me if the engine is running, while I walk out of the car with the fob in my pocket as a reminder it's still running.

Quick Reply: Multiple Beeps Upon Locking?