RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Recommended oil and change schedule

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 03:45 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil change interval

How often do you change your oil? Do you follow the recommended oil change Interval which I believe every 10k miles or 16k km?
Old 04-01-24, 04:01 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

There's an extensive thread on this topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-schedule.html

Seems that people mostly fall into two camps: Follow the maintenance schedule and change every 10k, or over-maintain and change every 5k.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (04-01-24)
Old 05-19-24, 05:14 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Which funnel do you guys use for those who change their own oil?

Guys,
Did my first oil change at ~800 miles on my new RX 350 and when adding oil the filter wouldn't go much further than an inch before hitting something. This has to be the shallowest oil hole I've ever encountered. I was going to try one of the screw on funnels but the location of the oil add hole and the lack of room makes that impossible. I hate having to hold the funnel and pour at the same time as it's a recipe for a spill.
Old 05-20-24, 10:21 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 233 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by grhughes
Guys,
Did my first oil change at ~800 miles on my new RX 350 and when adding oil the filter wouldn't go much further than an inch before hitting something. This has to be the shallowest oil hole I've ever encountered. I was going to try one of the screw on funnels but the location of the oil add hole and the lack of room makes that impossible. I hate having to hold the funnel and pour at the same time as it's a recipe for a spill.
I recently bought this one. It fits both of my Lexus hybrids and my Sequoia, as well. Makes oil changes much better. No more flopping funnels and it has a large throat, allowing me to pour 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 easily with no spills. It threads in just fine with no clearance issues.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by StefanoS; 05-20-24 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-20-24, 12:20 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I recently bought this one. It fits both of my Lexus hybrids and my Sequoia, as well. Makes oil changes much better. No more flopping funnels and it has a large throat, allowing me to pour 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 easily with no spills. It threads in just fine with no clearance issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perfect. Can you post the link to the one you ordered as the link provided loops back to this post for me using Chrome.
Thanks'
Old 05-20-24, 12:23 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Perfect. Can you post the link to the one you ordered as the link provided loops back to this post for me using Chrome.
Thanks'
That's odd... Go to Amazon and enter

APSG Locking Oil Funnel

Old 05-20-24, 12:29 PM
grhughes
Rookie

That's odd... Go to Amazon and enter

APSG Locking Oil Funnel

Thanks. I'll give it a shot but the filter states it will not work on the RX350 so we will see.

Old 05-20-24, 12:30 PM
CAPTBob
Rookie

Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

As I mentioned in an oil change thread that was in the Hybrid section, I bought the funnel linked above that screws into the oil fill opening. In April when I changed the oil myself for the first time on my wife's RX350 (Turbo gas version), I discovered that the funnel won't screw into the oil fill opening. The plastic cover over the top of the engine that directs air to the rear of the engine and over the turbo prevents the funnel from screwing in. It still kind of works.and didn't leak but I couldn't screw it in. I wasn't sure how the plastic cover attaches to the top of the engine and, since I was getting the oil into the engine without leaking everywhere, I decided to explore how to remove the cover another day.
Old 05-20-24, 01:09 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

Can you post the link to the one you ordered as the link provided loops back to this post for me using Chrome.
Thanks'
AdBlock is doing that. The site automatically puts an affinity code on Amazon product links which AdBlock stops.
Old 05-20-24, 01:10 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTBob
I wasn't sure how the plastic cover attaches to the top of the engine and, since I was getting the oil into the engine without leaking everywhere, I decided to explore how to remove the cover another day.
Just yank it up and off.
Old 05-20-24, 02:28 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Originally Posted by Urlik
Just yank it up and off.
Yea, nothing that tin snips can't fix
Old 05-20-24, 02:29 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Thanks. I'll give it a shot but the filter states it will not work on the RX350 so we will see.
It will fit just fine. It also said that it would not fit either of my vehicles, as well but, it works. As new models come out, they really don't take the time to update the fitment. These work on all of the A25A 4 cylinder engines perfectly. There is no interference whatsoever.
Old 05-20-24, 02:30 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'll know more tomorrow when it arrives and I'll update this thread.
Old 05-20-24, 02:32 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAPTBob
As I mentioned in an oil change thread that was in the Hybrid section, I bought the funnel linked above that screws into the oil fill opening. In April when I changed the oil myself for the first time on my wife's RX350 (Turbo gas version), I discovered that the funnel won't screw into the oil fill opening. The plastic cover over the top of the engine that directs air to the rear of the engine and over the turbo prevents the funnel from screwing in. It still kind of works.and didn't leak but I couldn't screw it in. I wasn't sure how the plastic cover attaches to the top of the engine and, since I was getting the oil into the engine without leaking everywhere, I decided to explore how to remove the cover another day.
As Urlik stated.....the cover just pushes into a couple of rubber grommets. You simply just grab the two forward facing corners and lift up......yank it off.....piece of cake.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 02:33 PM
grhughes
Rookie

As Urlik stated.....the cover just pushes into a couple of rubber grommets. You simply just grab the two forward facing corners and lift up......yank it off.....piece of cake.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Recommended oil and change schedule