RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Recommended oil and change schedule

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-24, 09:07 AM
grhughes
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
Personally, I'm fine with whatever interval someone chooses. I just take issue with the idea that following manufacturer guidelines is on any way irresponsible.
30 years ago I would have agreed with you but these days with corporate greed and all of the cheating the manufactures' have been flagged with, it wouldn't surprise me if they push that guideline up a bit to sell a few more cars. But I'm just old
The following users liked this post:
autotech13 (06-06-24)
Old 06-05-24, 09:16 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by grhughes
30 years ago I would have agreed with you but these days with corporate greed and all of the cheating the manufactures' have been flagged with, it wouldn't surprise me if they push that guideline up a bit to sell a few more cars. But I'm just old
You really think that a 10k oil change interval sells more cars, especially when the maintenance interval is still 5k?

It's just the natural advance of technology. Engine technology is world's better than it was and synthetic oil allows longer intervals. 10k is actually conservative. I've watched and paid attention all these years.
Old 06-05-24, 09:19 AM
grhughes
Rookie

You really think that a 10k oil change interval sells more cars, especially when the maintenance interval is still 5k?

It's just the natural advance of technology. Engine technology is world's better than it was and synthetic oil allows longer intervals. 10k is actually conservative. I've watched and paid attention all these years.
No, I believe that manufactures "may" raise the intervals to shorten the life of the engine to sell more cars. Of course Toyota may be doing this by adding metal to the engines as well
Old 06-05-24, 09:23 AM
WellsB
Advanced

No, I believe that manufactures "may" raise the intervals to shorten the life of the engine to sell more cars. Of course Toyota may be doing this by adding metal to the engines as well
I find both ideas to be unbelievable and repugnant without proof.
budwom (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 09:28 AM
grhughes
Rookie

I find both ideas to be unbelievable and repugnant without proof.
That's your right but and the metal in the engine was a joke but Toyota just recalled 100,000 vehicles for metal that was inadvertently left in engines.
Old 06-05-24, 09:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

That's your right but and the metal in the engine was a joke but Toyota just recalled 100,000 vehicles for metal that was inadvertently left in engines.
That was supposedly a flawed design change of the bearings.
grhughes (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 10:24 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Budwom, I am a 5k oil changer but I have no issue with 10K people who go by Toyota's guide. My question, why do Toyota and many other manufacturers say transmission fluid is good for the life of the car? Most good mechanic's say change every 50 to 60K. Lot's of people have had transmission issues way before 150K and many would probably not have had those issues had they ignored the manual and done it earlier. Then Toyota gets to sell a new one off warranty.
grhughes (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 11:02 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Oh boy,don't we all love OIL TOPICS?

My experience: Back when manufacturers used & recommended mineral oil, I actually EXTENDED my change intervals by 20%...but I used that new-fangled SYNTHETIC oil. I have always used synth in our 1980's turbo sports cars BTW...and when we rebuilt that engine (only because it was removed to rebuild the trans) the bearings were better than most.

You can't tell how much useful life is in modern oils just by looking. Some looks 'dark' within a few hundred miles, other brands do not. I notice that SOME YouTubers 'taste' it. Yuck.

Having an oil analysis is the best way to determine 'remaining life' for your particular operating circumstances. I'd LOVE to see a comparison of a 350 and 350h oil with the same mileage (since the hybrid runs its engine intermittently).

Who remembers the sludge issues Toyota had in the early 2000s? Chrysler, too.
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...dge-settlement

I'll conclude by suggesting that concerned owners monitor BobIsTheOilGuy.com..perhaps ask there to broaden the experience base.
I also watch Lake Speed Jr.'s Motor Oil Geek youTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/@themotoroilgeek
autotech13 (06-06-24)
Old 06-05-24, 12:05 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Oh boy,don't we all love OIL TOPICS?
I know I do
Old 06-05-24, 06:24 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I am true believer of full 10K service oil change, which I did with 2GR and even I understand if you have inline 4 with hybrid I would assume 10K is fine still.
What has me this time is Toyota being new to turbo engines with the high heat outputs and watching the car nut explain it.

Old 06-06-24, 04:32 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
Budwom, I am a 5k oil changer but I have no issue with 10K people who go by Toyota's guide. My question, why do Toyota and many other manufacturers say transmission fluid is good for the life of the car? Most good mechanic's say change every 50 to 60K. Lot's of people have had transmission issues way before 150K and many would probably not have had those issues had they ignored the manual and done it earlier. Then Toyota gets to sell a new one off warranty.
I understand your point. What we (at least I) don't know is exactly what is the failure rate of RX automatic transmissions? I haven't had one fail since my 1976 Plymouth Valiant when it failed in the second year at 13k miles. Nor do I know anyone who has had this problem, but I did, proactively, years ago have my Volvo guy do that partial fluid replacement at 120k miles...I have no idea what the rates of true failure are.

All I know is that when I look at Consumer Reports info on used cars going back eight years, I just don't see Lexus transmissions listed as a failure item...The info goes back eight years, and in all years the RX has the highest rating, "much better than average."
Having said that, if one is really concerned, you can have an independent mechanic do one of those quasi fluid changes for not a ton of money as I did with my Volvo....but I just don't see it as something I'm going to fret about.
Old 06-06-24, 05:51 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Originally Posted by jahnjva
. Lot's of people have had transmission issues way before 150K and many would probably not have had those issues had they ignored the manual and done it earlier. Then Toyota gets to sell a new one off warranty.

I use to own a 1996 Impala SS. The transmission was a known weak spot and often failed before 50k. Many owners tried early and often fluid exchanges, but there seems to have been no real difference in the failure rate between those who changed more often and those that followed the factory internal.

Just because an engine or transmission failed, does not mean the fluid change interval is at fault.

Everyone that drinks water will die...
budwom (06-07-24)