RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Rear Hatch Holding Water?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 04:56 PM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Holding Water?

So, the RX350h is about three weeks old an I gave it a wash. Hand wash with bucket and car wash solution, microfiber mitt, rinse with gentle garden hose rinse. No high pressure water, no long duration streams of water. Finished drying the car and open the rear hatch to clean the inside of the window and a quite a bit of water drained out of the hatch. Cleaned the window, closed the hatch and a LOT more water drained out of the hatch. Anyone else had this experience? I plan to do a little more investigation to see what may be happening. I think the first drain came from the rear tail light bar area. When closing the hatch, the water came out of the drain holes on the hatch. Full disclosure, the driveway has a slight incline, hatch downhill. Actually thought this would produce less retained water in the hatch, not more. Like I said, I will investigate more but wanted to see if any of you have had a similar experience.

2023 RX350h Luxury
Eminent White Pearl - Macadamia
Old 04-22-23, 06:22 AM
Eingraham
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 5 week old RX 350 and, yes, I noticed unusual water in the back hatch area after a wash. I use a relatively gentle new wash facility and have had it washed twice. Didn't open the hatch anytime soon on one wash but, the other, I opened it over an hour later and noticed what seemed like an unusual amount of water. I will check it out closer in the future!
The following users liked this post:
winpakbob (04-22-23)
Old 05-27-23, 09:55 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

We finally got ours a couple weeks ago and it just got its second wash. I agree the hatch holds on to a lot of water. Raising the hatch for a bit, lowering, and repeat a few times seems to help get a lot out. The door handles can drip for a while as well.

Last edited by Urlik; 05-28-23 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 10:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

This is a common problem with each of the RX models I have owned. The mirrors, door handles and rear hatch seep water. So while I don't own one of the new generation vehicles, I'm not surprised that it seeps water around the hatch after a wash. I have to cycle the rear hatch a few times to get the excess water out of it. I usually open it and start drying towards the front of the car while it drips, but it will continue seeping after closed again. Again, this is with the previous three generations but I would be surprised if this generation is any different. It is a bit of a nuisance but you learn to work with it.
Old 09-02-23, 07:20 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
This is a common problem with each of the RX models I have owned. The mirrors, door handles and rear hatch seep water. So while I don't own one of the new generation vehicles, I'm not surprised that it seeps water around the hatch after a wash. I have to cycle the rear hatch a few times to get the excess water out of it. I usually open it and start drying towards the front of the car while it drips, but it will continue seeping after closed again. Again, this is with the previous three generations but I would be surprised if this generation is any different. It is a bit of a nuisance but you learn to work with it.
Thanks, good to know, first Lexus for me, I was a bit concerned that perhaps mine had been built on a Monday lol. I am quite surprised as to the amount of water coming out the rear hatch however. I also open and close it at least 3 times after a wash.